Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate the tan interior and I already bought my S, but otherwise, I would buy this car. Only a few $$ more than what I paid for mine, but it's newer, faster, and has folding mirrors. After the folding mirror retrofit, its almost the same price I bought my car for.

Ah and you have such exceptional taste with everything else so I guess we can let the fact that you don't like the tan interior slide :tongue:

Tan is the only Model S interior color I like. I can't stand black interiors as I like to keep the car pristine clean and with black I never know if the car is clean or not but I can see how this could actually be a benefit... Also I find the tan interior more airy/open and how you can see the interior details, especially with the pano roof lighting up the interior. Also tan picks up ambient lighting very nicely at night... To each his own and neither option is wrong but the good thing is we both won't ever be competing for the same car!

That car is a great value for whoever buys it... The CPO prices for the RWD cars are now quite attractive. Just waiting for the P85D prices to come down a bit some more and then I'm in.

You still got a great price on your S85 with the added enjoyment of being actually able to drive your car all these months. If you are ever considering switching, realize that in 2 years P85Ds will be about the same price range as the current 2014 P85s...

I can't stand black interiors as I like to keep the car pristine clean and with black I never know if the car is clean or not but I can see how this could actually be a benefit.

I used to think like you ...until I landed up in my S85...Loved the color and everything and I was told it has black interior but I could not resist because of the savings I got with this inventory vehicle.

It has been almost a year with my car and I can tell the very minute there is dust on the black seats...Have to wipe them often and on...at least this is my experience..:smile:

Oh yeah, the tan is a personal dislike. I hated it in other cars and thought I should give Tesla the benefit of the doubt, and then when seeing it in person, still hated it. Though I must admit I've only seen it on dark cars. I love the gray look, but dislike that the headliner doesn't match. Black seats with any of the 3 headliners works for me.

Yeah, 10k miles later, I love my S. Originally I was going to wait till Sept. and part of me wishes I did, but that's b/c of personal life issues cropping up after buying the car and not the car itself. I could have been buying now, but someone else will and they will LOVE IT!

I'm seeing a total of 4 sub-$60k P85's a P85+ right now! I had not looked at CPOs for a while because the P85s were priced in the $70s for months (never mind a P85+) and I felt like an additional $10k to get a new S 85D with similar performance and NEW was worth it. Now it looks like there are a lot of P85 and P85+ CPOs with reasonable mileage and higher VINs priced in the low $60s.

Was there a sudden price change or did I miss prices gradually falling? This is an exciting development...

EDIT---There's actually two more sub-$60k P85s on Tesla's site that are not showing up in the EV CPO Consolidator. They both have a location "Other". Looks like about 70 P85s and P85+s priced below $70k on Tesla's CPO page.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a total of 4 sub-$60k P85's a P85+ right now! I had not looked at CPOs for a while because the P85s were priced in the $70s for months (never mind a P85+) and I felt like an additional $10k to get a new S 85D with similar performance and NEW was worth it. Now it looks like there are a lot of P85 and P85+ CPOs with reasonable mileage and higher VINs priced in the low $60s.

Was there a sudden price change or did I miss prices gradually falling? This is an exciting development...
Is this THE David Lee Roth?

They are finally starting to price their RWD CPO cars so the pricing makes sense when compared to a new car. There are some great deals to be had for 2013/2014 RWD cars. Especially the P85s. Some are close to half the price when new after a little over 2 years of use.

As for the interior color, I've tried to like black as an interior color and I can't stand it. I find tan to be very warm and inviting and black exuding basically the opposite connotation. All very personal and subjective based on how your brain is wired I suppose. I also can't stand black and CF interior trim as in I absolutely hate it. Wish that wasn't the case as it makes finding a suitable car quite challenging!

The good thing for me is that I often see tan combined with Obeche wood.

Is this THE David Lee Roth?

Wouldn't that be something? Just in teenage fantasies and Rock Band games! We do share a first name, however...

- - - Updated - - -

I'd choose a tan interior spec'ing out a new car. I like the way black looks but I find it can be very hot in the summer. If I go with a CPO, however, I'd be fine with black if I found the right vehicle with the right options (Pano, UHF Sound, Smart Air), low mileage, high VIN, at the right price. Not that I'm picky or anything!

EDIT---There's actually two more sub-$60k P85s on Tesla's site that are not showing up in the EV CPO Consolidator. They both have a location "Other". Looks like about 70 P85s and P85+s priced below $70k on Tesla's CPO page.

I agree that the prices have dropped. It's a guess but I believe a CPO counts as a sale towards the yearly totals. So Tesla is dropping CPO prices to get them to move out the door and hit their yearly goal or kill the yearly goal. Or, they just have the stock a little too large and want to move them out. That's my WAG.

Or as many of us said near the beginning of the program, the cars aren't getting any younger and their price will age just as if already had the car. So just like outside the EV market, if you want a cheaper S-class or 7-series, go 1, 2, 3... years used and get it.

Or as many of us said near the beginning of the program, the cars aren't getting any younger and their price will age just as if already had the car. So just like outside the EV market, if you want a cheaper S-class or 7-series, go 1, 2, 3... years used and get it.

I think the Model S resale values will pretty much very closely resemble the resale value of a Mercedes S Class. In fact that's about what we are seeing.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that the prices have dropped. It's a guess but I believe a CPO counts as a sale towards the yearly totals. So Tesla is dropping CPO prices to get them to move out the door and hit their yearly goal or kill the yearly goal. Or, they just have the stock a little too large and want to move them out. That's my WAG.

I don't believe that to be the case. What they report are production numbers/deliveries for new cars. The CPO cars come in when looking at the total profit/loss picture but the CPO cars will not count towards meeting the 50,000+ unit production goal.

I think what we are seeing is that they are trying to sell the CPO cars before they depreciate further next year. There's no point in holding to an inventory of hundreds of CPO Model S cars when they are each depreciating about $1,400-$2,000 a month based on age and the model. They are just pricing the cars based on what the market will pay, and this is as it should be. If they've had a certain car for sale for 2-3 months and it has not sold, it is likely priced too high. During those 3 months, the car likely just depreciated another $4,000-$6,000 so it is better to price them right to begin with and move the inventory.

Yeah, to my knowledge, they do not accept cars for the CPO program if they are over 55k. But that doesn't mean this wasn't previously accepted and just hasn't sold get.

So if I buy a CPO with 50,000 miles and put 40,000 miles on it before wanting to sell then I can't trade back to Tesla when I want to buy a new one? Need to sell private party? Or will they just offer really low basically because it will go to a wholesaler or something?

So if I buy a CPO with 50,000 miles and put 40,000 miles on it before wanting to sell then I can't trade back to Tesla when I want to buy a new one? Need to sell private party? Or will they just offer really low basically because it will go to a wholesaler or something?
That is about right. What would you expect them to offer you for a car with 90,000 miles on it ?

That is about right. What would you expect them to offer you for a car with 90,000 miles on it ?

No idea. I just was thinking that if I wanted to buy used and could pick up a P85 for $60k that if I drove it for 3 years until Auto Pilot 2 came out (just guessing) or some other cool thing that I'd just trade it in towards that and save money on the sales tax side. Then maybe it'd be a $30k trade (probable) or $40k (if lucky)?

What do you think?

CPO prices have reasonably followed depreciation of $10-15K per year.
I've also found by comparing against Mercedes and Audi, the Tesla is depreciating slower.

What follows is rough guidance I guestimated when purchasing our CPO early 2013 Tesla earlier this year.

I used the rough #'s below to compare against our existing Mercedes and realized the Tesla would be no more expensive in terms of total operating cost (depreciation, interest, fuel, repairs). As you can see by the time the Model 3 comes out, a used 2013 S85 will be cost competitive, and some will buy used (to avoid waits for delivery, larger car, more options, etc). By the time the warranty is up, the car is worth around $20K, which seems reasonable considering it will still be a long range performance electric car.

Year Price
2013 95000 <- New 85 with many premium options
2014 80000
2015 65000 <- CPO buyer gets warranty of 4 more years, ends in 2019
2016 55000
2017 45000
2018 35000 <- New Model 3 comes out for same cost with base (no options)
2019 25000
<- Warranty is now only drive-train and battery
2020 20000

2021 15000 <- Warranty is up
2022 10000
2023 5000 <- Car likely has 200,000 km on it, rated range ~370 km

They will buy it, but they won't put it through the CPO program and simply sell it as used or send to auction.

No idea. I just was thinking that if I wanted to buy used and could pick up a P85 for $60k that if I drove it for 3 years until Auto Pilot 2 came out (just guessing) or some other cool thing that I'd just trade it in towards that and save money on the sales tax side. Then maybe it'd be a $30k trade (probable) or $40k (if lucky)?
What do you think?
I would expect the Tesla to depreciate about the same as most other luxury cars with a similar MSRP.

For example KBB.com has a page to calculate 5 year cost to own.
Just for kicks I choose a BMW X6 M.
94,850 MSRP.
62,301 Depreciation for 5 years, so your guess is about right for that car.
Not sure if this link will work, but this page is interesting.
Kelley Blue Book

As far as the Tesla goes, they have a good reputation for quality and that helps, but many other car makers also have high standards or they would not survive. Notice that the overall cost per mile on the BMW is $1.33 Now I would guess that the Model S and Model X would be about the same.

My car is a 2012 and I plan to drive it until the power train warranty goes away in 2020 and it will be worth pretty close to nothing by then.

OK the link worked but you also need to click the "See yearly breakdown" in the middle of the page.