Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect the Tesla to depreciate about the same as most other luxury cars with a similar MSRP.

For example KBB.com has a page to calculate 5 year cost to own.
Just for kicks I choose a BMW X6 M.
94,850 MSRP.
62,301 Depreciation for 5 years, so your guess is about right for that car.
Not sure if this link will work, but this page is interesting.
Kelley Blue Book

As far as the Tesla goes, they have a good reputation for quality and that helps, but many other car makers also have high standards or they would not survive. Notice that the overall cost per mile on the BMW is $1.33 Now I would guess that the Model S and Model X would be about the same.

My car is a 2012 and I plan to drive it until the power train warranty goes away in 2020 and it will be worth pretty close to nothing by then.

OK the link worked but you also need to click the "See yearly breakdown" in the middle of the page.

I'll be happy to take it off your hands in 2020.

CPO prices have reasonably followed depreciation of $10-15K per year.
I've also found by comparing against Mercedes and Audi, the Tesla is depreciating slower.

What follows is rough guidance I guestimated when purchasing our CPO early 2013 Tesla earlier this year.

I used the rough #'s below to compare against our existing Mercedes and realized the Tesla would be no more expensive in terms of total operating cost (depreciation, interest, fuel, repairs). As you can see by the time the Model 3 comes out, a used 2013 S85 will be cost competitive, and some will buy used (to avoid waits for delivery, larger car, more options, etc). By the time the warranty is up, the car is worth around $20K, which seems reasonable considering it will still be a long range performance electric car.

Year Price
2013 95000 <- New 85 with many premium options
2014 80000
2015 65000 <- CPO buyer gets warranty of 4 more years, ends in 2019
2016 55000
2017 45000
2018 35000 <- New Model 3 comes out for same cost with base (no options)
2019 25000
<- Warranty is now only drive-train and battery
2020 20000

2021 15000 <- Warranty is up
2022 10000
2023 5000 <- Car likely has 200,000 km on it, rated range ~370 km

Interesting analysis. So my $40k number after 3 years (buying at $60k) is definitely a bit high then at least based on what you think and the $30k would maybe be wishful thinking.

They will buy it, but they won't put it through the CPO program and simply sell it as used or send to auction.

Ok makes sense.

I would expect the Tesla to depreciate about the same as most other luxury cars with a similar MSRP.

For example KBB.com has a page to calculate 5 year cost to own.
Just for kicks I choose a BMW X6 M.
94,850 MSRP.
62,301 Depreciation for 5 years, so your guess is about right for that car.
Not sure if this link will work, but this page is interesting.
Kelley Blue Book

As far as the Tesla goes, they have a good reputation for quality and that helps, but many other car makers also have high standards or they would not survive. Notice that the overall cost per mile on the BMW is $1.33 Now I would guess that the Model S and Model X would be about the same.

My car is a 2012 and I plan to drive it until the power train warranty goes away in 2020 and it will be worth pretty close to nothing by then.

OK the link worked but you also need to click the "See yearly breakdown" in the middle of the page.

$42,000 depreciation in first year for that BMW? That seems crazy? Tesla MS year 1 so far hasn't been that bad right?

Last edited:
When you discuss depreciation, there is a big difference in the dollar amount depreciation between a top end "P Model" compared to a model with a lower battery capacity. The dollar amount depreciation with a P Model is greater. So it's not easily to generalize as it really depends on the model.

From what I can see the initial year depreciation for a P85D is around $30K, but about $10K of that is the rebate so the actual depreciation is more like $20K. This might be due to the scarcity of used P85D models though. We may not know the actual first year depreciation until next year when the market settles.

If you go down one model year, the 2014 P85s are now starting at the late 50s and you can buy them for the mid to late 60s which is an incredible deal for anyone buying those cars as it represents about a $50K discount after barely 1-2 years of use.

Looks like these are the price drop someone here was told by a DS way back in the summer of the major price drop. From what i can tell it is a little more than 6 months or so since the cpo program? Hopefully this trend keeps up. I am still waiting for a 85D in this price range. I got about a year left on my current lease before i need another car.

What is the best way to get pictures of a particular car? Hitting that buy button based on list of specs and stock photos is far from ideal. Any CPO location will be hundreds of miles away so seeing a car in person is out of the question. Do we ever think they will start using photos of the actual cars at some point? I guess I'm not going to hold my breath. With pricing becoming more attractive to a larger audience, it's most likely impossible to get some pictures and make a buy decision before someone else snatches it up.

Also, anyone have any idea how much condition plays into the pricing? Yes, I know CPO should mean CPO and reconditioned, blah, blah, and condition should not be a factor. However, lurking on this site and thread for sometime has not necessarily given me vote of confidence on the overall quality that a CPO should demand.

What is the best way to get pictures of a particular car? Hitting that buy button based on list of specs and stock photos is far from ideal. Any CPO location will be hundreds of miles away so seeing a car in person is out of the question. Do we ever think they will start using photos of the actual cars at some point? I guess I'm not going to hold my breath. With pricing becoming more attractive to a larger audience, it's most likely impossible to get some pictures and make a buy decision before someone else snatches it up.

Also, anyone have any idea how much condition plays into the pricing? Yes, I know CPO should mean CPO and reconditioned, blah, blah, and condition should not be a factor. However, lurking on this site and thread for sometime has not necessarily given me vote of confidence on the overall quality that a CPO should demand.

Technically all CPO cars are supposed to be in "showroom condition" granted it is a used car and there will be minor imperfections but nothing major. If you were presented a CPO car for purchase and it falls short of what you would expect, I am sure they will allow you to transfer your deposit towards another car or make it right by addressing any issues you find. Not sure how they would handle the fee of transporting the car though.

That said, the lack of actual photos of the car you are putting a deposit is I am sure for most an unacceptable way to buy a used car but that's what they have at the moment and I hope this gets changed so that in the future they post the actual photos of the used car being offered for sale. After all, if a car dealer can do that to be transparent on what they are selling, why not Tesla? :rolleyes:

In addition to the photos you should request to see the service records of the car, pull the CarFax, and then have a Pre Purchase inspection at a body shop to avoid the possibility of any paint issues with the car as what happened to Cyclone.

Scroll to the right. I'll take one of those $0 CPOs! Or two! :)

I think that was just a bank estimation and they are assuming a worst case scenario if they had to sell the car themselves. The "adjusted retail" price they had given him for the P85D is $80,571.

What is interesting is that mid to late $80Ks is around where the P85D values will actually be towards the end of the next year...

If there are any Sig Red watchers (like me)... two nice P85s popped up recently*

85 kWh Signature Performance Model S S00428 | Tesla Motors $54,900
85 kWh Signature Performance Model S S00823 | Tesla Motors $59,700

So tempting. If these were local, I'd definitely go look at them in person.

*Having a Premium Subscription to EV-CPO would alert you when these are listed.

There's also S00111 which has no color. It's the black hole of Sigs.

85 kWh Signature Model S S00111 | Tesla Motors

When I got the alerts on those I said "damn". Both are cheaper than I paid. Mine is currently in transit now though.

I assume these will both be gone soon enough.

If there are any Sig Red watchers (like me)... two nice P85s popped up recently*

That red is gorgeous.

OMG I'm salivating and I'm already an owner!

I love my blue standard 85
But that 54.9K performance Signature red is very tempting!

I might go into my local service center tomorrow and get a quote for a trade in! Might be nice to upgrade to a performance version!