Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the forum, long time reader - first time poster.
I am weighing leasing a new model s vs buying cpo.
I drive about 3 miles a day, so range is irrelevant. I own a volt and never use gas.
I just saw a cpo s60 pop up with 50 miles on the odometer. Looks like an early build from the VIN.
Has anyone heard of this before? It's 56k, but if listed correctly essentially new..
Just wanted to take advantage of the collective wisdom here. Thank you all in advance.

If buying a CPO, I honestly wouldn't care about mileage on the odo. I would buy based on the features I want, which might connect into age as well (like no auto fold mirrors on 2012s and the parking sensor option came mid-2013). $56k for an S60 is overpriced in my opinion since mileage isn't a factor for me.

If buying a CPO, I honestly wouldn't care about mileage on the odo. I would buy based on the features I want, which might connect into age as well (like no auto fold mirrors on 2012s and the parking sensor option came mid-2013). $56k for an S60 is overpriced in my opinion since mileage isn't a factor for me.
fwiw: the early '14 S85 with 22k miles, tech pkg, upgraded sound, ambient lighting that I traded in is listed at 62K on the CPO list, based on that an S60 at 56k is a bit high.

I just saw a cpo s60 pop up with 50 miles on the odometer. Looks like an early build from the VIN.
Has anyone heard of this before? It's 56k, but if listed correctly essentially new.

Well, it's gone this morning, so either you got it, or someone else did.

You didn't say if you wanted to do road trips, or drive 200 miles in cold weather (below freezing), if so, we here would recommend the 85 kWh battery vs the 60.
If you intend to just drive it locally and on a few short summer (400 mile) trips on supercharger routes, then a 60 is very nice.

New here and I have been doing my research for the past month. Getting an electrician out to my house to install the outlet by the end of the month.
Keeping an eye on CPO cars, new car timelines, etc.
Not decided if I need the extra range of an 85 over 70. My commute is 50 miles a day and I should be fine there. Live in Philly, so my only issue is trips to the shore in the summer. (there are no SCs at South Jersey Shore as of now)
Not sure if I need the performance bump of an 85 over 70. I have test drove both of them. But it is hard to tell during a half hour test drive especially when they don't take you on a high way. I have a BMW 328 3 series car, so I want the Tesla to beat that.
Not entirely decided on some of the options.
I am waiting for the 2016 Model S since we are in 2016 already and I am willing to wait until at least July. There will be a new car by then right?
If there are CPO 2015 by July, that might be an option for me.
AP is a necessity for me. Too cool to pass up! I can live without the D though.

I am waiting for the 2016 Model S since we are in 2016 already and I am willing to wait until at least July. There will be a new car by then right?
If there are CPO 2015 by July, that might be an option for me.

Tesla doesn't do Model Years like other car manufacturers. They introduce changes as they are ready. Any model year references are simply a side-effect of how other organizations (government groups, insurance companies, etc.) classify cars. So any car built now is a 2016 car, but that doesn't mean things won't change (yeah, double negative) by July.

I think theres a good argument to buy the highest milage car that meets your requirements. Car should have had more opportunity for stuff to break and with the warranty being the same, there also should be a better chance that some of the wearables would reach time for replacement within the warranty time frame. If nothing else needs replacement, it could be assumed that it will last the lifetime of the car. And of course the ridiculous discount. Buying something with 55-60k miles would be fine. Warranty gets you to 110k ish miles. Anything thats gonna break has probably already broken and fixed under warranty. Thinking about center screens, worn suspension components, etc

I understand that. I mean that I'm waiting for significant 2016 changes (like new sensors or improved battery capacity, etc)

Tesla has tended to drop major changes and software releases in the fall and spring. If there is to be a big announcement, it is likely to be by the end of April, or next Sept/Oct. Past patterns do not guarantee future actions, however and YMMV.

They recently upgraded the capacity with the 90kwh battery option.
You might not see another bump in at least a couple years.

We already saw

Model S60 pre AP (2012 to early 2014)
Model S85 pre AP (2012 to early 2014)

Model S60 with AP (late 2014)
Model S85 with AP (late 2014)

Model S70 (early 2015)
Model S90 (mid 2015)

I expect to see something like

Model S75 (2016)
Model S95 (2016)

Model S80 (2017)
Model S100 (2017)

Model 3 - 65 (range similar to a S80) - 2018 version
Model 3 - 80 (range similar to a S100) - 2018 version

Model S85 (2018 version)
Model S105 (2018)

Meaning I expect another battery capacity bump in every calendar year. It is possible they will skip a calender year by doing one early 2017 instead of late 2016 but either way i don't think you can expect more than 10-20 months between capacity increases.

htc1 312.jpg
Don't tease.... which one is it? This one by chance? 85 kWh Model S P33797 | Tesla Motors
that's it, this pic was taken right after delivery, 3/14

We already saw

Model S60 pre AP (2012 to early 2014)
Model S85 pre AP (2012 to early 2014)

Model S60 with AP (late 2014)
Model S85 with AP (late 2014)

Model S70 (early 2015)
Model S90 (mid 2015)

I expect to see something like

Model S75 (2016)
Model S95 (2016)

Model S80 (2017)
Model S100 (2017)

Model 3 - 65 (range similar to a S80) - 2018 version
Model 3 - 80 (range similar to a S100) - 2018 version

Model S85 (2018 version)
Model S105 (2018)

Meaning I expect another battery capacity bump in every calendar year. It is possible they will skip a calender year by doing one early 2017 instead of late 2016 but either way i don't think you can expect more than 10-20 months between capacity increases.
I don't understand why you expect a 5kwh bump every year when it took tesla 3 years for the first 5kwh increase.

I don't understand why you expect a 5kwh bump every year when it took tesla 3 years for the first 5kwh increase.

I say that because Elon Musk and JB Straubel have given guidance repeatedly that there will be a 5-10% increase per year between now and 2020 due to advances they are currently seeing and expect at the gigafactory in Nevada.

They are telling press, investors, industry analysts, etcetera to expect this.

They did not say that in the far past. They did start saying that more recently. When exactly the transition was I didn't try to pin down. I just pay attention to their guidance. I suggest reading

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread
Tesla Gigafactory

until you find the links to the videos of Musk or JB being interviewed or giving a live presentation at a conference. You'll see several references to the coming capacity increases in slides and verbally.

At the conference for just after the 90 kWh release Musk said that there would be an increase every year or some wording similar to that but said it wouldn't be worth buying a new battery for a used car until at least 2 or 3 years worth of capacity improvements had occurred (implying wait as long as you can between pack upgrades because we'll be upgrading packs more often than it make sense for you to do so).

I'm going totally from memory but if you really need me to I can cite references and post more accurate quotes some day when I get bored.

Beyond that I'm just using round 5kw numbers because its easier to guess that. They could possibly skip a 5 and make a 10 jump or use odd numbers. I don't have insider information on specific capacities or release dates.

I'd also expect the low and high packs to increase on seperate months or even separate years as they run out of old production and start using new. The fact that they'll be upping the low and the high means they may do one in early 2016 and the other in late 2016. I doubt that they'll bump both at the exact same time.

Oh and we currently have

low = 70
mid = 85
high = 90

I'm expecting the mid is a phase out of the old high and once they run out of 85s or want to introduce a 95 the 85 will disappear. I won't guarantee that they'll always keep more than 2 sizes available in new cars. I won't rule out that for very very short periods there might be 3 or 4 pack sizes as they phase in a new capacity for the new low, new high, or both.

Last edited:
Wow, 2 P85+'s posted in the mid 50's and one @ 60k. Too bad neither of them have 3rd row seats. The search continues...

The one I am picking up at 1pm has them, not sure why they are such a big selling point. Not only is there no room back there, there is no air and it gets really hot. And do you really want your kids back there?

- - - Updated - - -

This one is pretty good, even for a low VIN.

85 kWh Performance Model S P13541 | Tesla Motors

The one I am picking up at 1pm has them, not sure why they are such a big selling point. Not only is there no room back there, there is no air and it gets really hot. And do you really want your kids back there?

With two small kids and having the option to pull the car seats and utilize the middle row for adults if needed, yes its a good selling point. Tesla Orlando lent me a car for an extended test drive and I ran into a family @ the supercharger with the kids in the back - talked to them for a few and they raved about them. Said the kids argue over who sits back there. I asked about it getting hot and the kids had no complaints, and this is in Florida. Plus I've seen the rear end crash tests, seems more than safe. Otherwise I would have jumped on the one you linked out to!