Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just seems a little strange because it goes against conventional wisdom and Tesla has nothing to gain by stockpiling a depreciating asset.

Who would have though over a year into the CPO program and there would be little to no CPO's?

CPOs are out there but partly in the loaner/demo pool. Also, used CPO can be shipped to other countries for import. Norway does not impose the ICE tax on even Used EVs coming in and so used American CPO could be destined for Norway or as lower-priced offerings in China (other than Hong Kong which is RHD). It would make sense to me to send lease-returns that show up in areas like NYC, DC, Philly, Boston - send some of them to Norway. West cost returned CPO can go on the boat to China with the new ones as well.

CPOs are out there but partly in the loaner/demo pool. Also, used CPO can be shipped to other countries for import. Norway does not impose the ICE tax on even Used EVs coming in and so used American CPO could be destined for Norway or as lower-priced offerings in China (other than Hong Kong which is RHD). It would make sense to me to send lease-returns that show up in areas like NYC, DC, Philly, Boston - send some of them to Norway. West cost returned CPO can go on the boat to China with the new ones as well.

Are you sure about that? Any US CPO going overseas to Europe or China would need the charge port replaced, which I think also has changes to the metal work/quarter panel -- not an insignificant cost.

Here's what a CPO advisor wrote to me yesterday.

'Our pre owned vehicle inventory will see an influx in vehicles in the next coming weeks. I'd say end of April or early May, we'll have more vehicles available for sale.'

If you're thinking of buying from a Craigslist ad, maybe wait. If you're thinking of selling, might wanna' hurry or take that offer that seemed low last week. In a month it might seem like a great offer. This will be very very interesting.

Yessssss!

Here's what a CPO advisor wrote to me yesterday.

'Our pre owned vehicle inventory will see an influx in vehicles in the next coming weeks. I'd say end of April or early May, we'll have more vehicles available for sale.'

If you're thinking of buying from a Craigslist ad, maybe wait. If you're thinking of selling, might wanna' hurry or take that offer that seemed low last week. In a month it might seem like a great offer. This will be very very interesting.

I just bought a CPO 2012 Sig P85 this week for $54k. The CPO cars have always been available but they are moving through them so quickly that they are only selling through referrals from stores. My rep told me the same thing last month but in reality you just got put on a wait list and they will contact you when they fulfill the needs of those before you. He told me that demand is so high they decided to stop posting on the CPO site until they get caught up with the high, low priced CPO demand. It was also said that it could be months before CPO's start being posted on the website again. If you want a CPO, go to the store!

Yesterday I ordered a P85+. (!) Anyone who knows my luck will realize that much better options are on the horizon. :(

Tesla's Regional Pre-Owned Advisor reached out to me to discuss the purchase. The fact that Tesla has a Regional Pre-Owned Advisor says something, right? I commented to him about the dearth of CPOs and he responded that he thought the CPO inventory would be ramping up in May. This seems to corroborate recent posts.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Yesterday I ordered a P85+. (!) Anyone who knows my luck will realize that much better options are on the horizon. :(

Tesla's Regional Pre-Owned Advisor reached out to me to discuss the purchase. The fact that Tesla has a Regional Pre-Owned Advisor says something, right? I commented to him about the dearth of CPOs and he responded that he thought the CPO inventory would be ramping up in May. This seems to corroborate recent posts.

Good to know. BTW, great color choice on your P85+, David Lee Roth.

I just bought a CPO 2012 Sig P85 this week for $54k. The CPO cars have always been available but they are moving through them so quickly that they are only selling through referrals from stores. My rep told me the same thing last month but in reality you just got put on a wait list and they will contact you when they fulfill the needs of those before you. He told me that demand is so high they decided to stop posting on the CPO site until they get caught up with the high, low priced CPO demand. It was also said that it could be months before CPO's start being posted on the website again. If you want a CPO, go to the store!

Only when they were priced right :) There were many CPOs siting on the website for months. There are many Model S (and a few Model X) on Ebay and cars.com. Are they not priced attractively?

I wonder, how many CPOs Tesla can absorb as loaners. If they keep 10 loaners per service center, that's around 500 loaners in US. I thought, the CPO inventory was much larger than that. It seems, our speculation that CPOs will be back sometime after quarter end may turn out to be true. Well, Tesla still missed the Q1 guidance.

Here is a question I have for the CPO Model S buyers: Between a well-optioned Model 3 at $45k-$50k and a CPO Model S at ~$50k, which will you choose?

Last edited:
They only have 50 service centers in the U.S.?!? I would have thought it was a much higher number than that, but I haven't gone out and checked.

Looks like slightly more than 50 with more on the way.

Tesla US Service Centers.PNG

Only when they were priced right :) There were many CPOs siting on the website for months. There are many Model S (and a few Model X) on Ebay and cars.com. Are they not priced attractively?

I wonder, how many CPOs Tesla can absorb as loaners. If they keep 10 loaners per service center, that's around 500 loaners in US. I thought, the CPO inventory was much larger than that. It seems, our speculation that CPOs will be back sometime after quarter end may turn out to be true. Well, Tesla still missed the Q1 guidance.

Here is a question I have for the CPO Model S buyers: Between a well-optioned Model 3 at $45k-$50k and a CPO Model S at ~$50k, which will you choose?

The well priced ones are being bought before they ever even make it to the site is how I took it. CPO's are still well priced but the general public is not seeing them unless they get a go to the store and get refereed. I'm sure the CPO inventory will be added back but like I quoted earlier, it sounds like it might be in the late May through July time-frame.

I'm going with the best of both Worlds. I went with a low 50's P85 with middle of the road miles for the next 2-3 years before selling/trading it in for a well-optioned Model 3. My hope is that the P85 will carry enough value to not take a trade in loss when moving to the Model 3 in a couple of years. Moving up in the Model 3 reservation list was also a nice consolation prize for buying the S.

• Informative
Reactions: mmd
So if I am trying to get into a more basic CPO Model S for somewhere in the $40s what's my best course of action? Contact my local store to see if they have anything? Or just wait a month or two until the glut of options on the website is supposed to end?

So if I am trying to get into a more basic CPO Model S for somewhere in the $40s what's my best course of action? Contact my local store to see if they have anything? Or just wait a month or two until the glut of options on the website is supposed to end?

Yes, contacting your local store would be a good idea as they might have access to hidden lists.

Based on what others have said, more CPO's will be hitting the market soon. You could sign up for email alerts at www.TeslaInventory.com. You can choose what options/price you want and save it as a saved search. Then you can get emailed alerts when something matches your criteria.

Thanks Erik

Could you speculate as to the reason they would offload this inventory to Texas Direct instead of selling the cars themselves? I know TD would not be doing this unless there was a decent profit in the transaction? Why add a middle man?