Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I'm that qualified to opine on price, but I think it's actually pretty good -- it's commensurate with the current (pre-facelift) cars, for under $100k after tax credit. To outfit an identical P90D (current facelift version), it would be $125k after tax credit.

25k is not that many miles. This is a fully loaded P85D+, where you can also get the ESA if you want. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Not that I'm in a position to trade-up right now, but if I ever do, it would be for a P85D+, like this one. I also like Blue, not Silver. If it were the new lighter blue color, I'd be working a lot of numbers right now.

i just leased that silver car today for 1039/mo. What is ESA that you mention in your statement above? I figured I'd drive this one for 3 years as lease and then buy a used fully loaded P90D with the facelift after my lease ends. I hope that was a good lease price. I couldn't get the range and performance I wanted with all of the options without getting this older lease deal.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I had the same experience in DC. I was told by my Owner Advisor that the only vehicles available were those that I could see on the public website. When I brought up the fact that people seemed to be getting options from stores that were not on the website he said that that used to be the case but was not true anymore.

After I put my deposit on one of the few remaining CPOs I read someone here's posts that he was given a number of unlisted options to choose from, though older and higher mileage, and he bought a Sig. By that time, my region's Pre-Owned Advisor had contacted me about my purchase. He also said that he could only see the cars that I could see. I told him about the Sig that had just been purchased and when he got back to me he said he had researched it and the car was on the public website for a day or two. He reiterated that the inventory he has access to on Tesla's servers, even as the Pre-Owned Advisor, is no different than the public website.

I don't think he's misleading me (I really hope not), so it seems to me that the only other possibility is that some Tesla employees are much more in the loop than others. Apparently, DC is not in the loop.

I still got a good deal for what I purchased if the pricing strategy doesn't change when the CPOs are available to everyone again. The same rep assured me that that would be the case. I'm hoping he's more in the loop on this policy than on the CPO inventory!

Why would it matter if the pricing strategy change or not? I mean you purchased the car at a price you can afford and willing to pay. What does a price drop have to do with what you already did? I think that is the fallacy most people have. They are comparing it to previous or new price. Like others have said, you purchase the Tesla when you can do so and at the price you willing to do so. Any changes in prices later should not factor into your happiness. Be content, enjoy your new tesla, and call it a day.

Reactions: wdolson
Is anyone noticing 0 CPO available on the Tesla page although 2 (an S85 and a P85D) are showing on EV-CPO.com? Why the difference?
My apologies if this has been explained already.

Those two CPO cars are still listed on Tesla's website.

upload_2016-4-22_8-56-20.png

Why would it matter if the pricing strategy change or not? I mean you purchased the car at a price you can afford and willing to pay. What does a price drop have to do with what you already did? I think that is the fallacy most people have. They are comparing it to previous or new price. Like others have said, you purchase the Tesla when you can do so and at the price you willing to do so. Any changes in prices later should not factor into your happiness. Be content, enjoy your new tesla, and call it a day.

First, with more complete information, I might have made a different choice. I certainly would have waited four weeks (I've already been waiting a year) to save, say, $10,000 (made up for purposes of example) if the pricing strategy does change. I also may have waited for a chance to get a different configuration at the same price. So it's disappointing to have less information than others.

Second, I'm hoping to trade up in a couple of years. What happens to the value of my existing car if prices drop weeks after my purchase?

Neither of these things mean I won't be happy with my car, I can't wait to take delivery. And I'm thrilled that I was able to get a car with the + suspension. That was not really in my plans. No, my happiness will be off the charts regardless!

59, that's the number of Model S's currently available on the SF Bay Area Craig's list. That number prior to the great CPO purge was under 7. I find this curious for a number of reasons but I am left wondering about a few things that maybe others can answer.

1. Is Tesla taking in any S's in trade? I haven't seen anyone recently belly aching about the low trade in offers they were getting. Without trade in cars or lease returns then Tesla won't have any inventory to CPO or they are just passing through to wholesalers like Texas Direct. That still doesn't bode well for CPO future buyers or prices.

2. If Tesla is taking in dozens of cars each day across the country, where are they being stored? How many are there now? Are they being charged, baking in the sun, being used as loaners, how many loaners do the SCs need, are the 60s being converted to 90's, are they recycling them, are they creating an artificial reef, are they being given to the N Koreans as communal vehicles, where are they all?

3. Will private party sellers get hungry enough to start the downward price pressure and when? The prices the private party folks and used car dealers want are really bad RELATIVE to the CPO prices we saw in December. I see people trying to sell used 60s for the same as I could buy a 70 for after the tax rebates. What are these people smokin up there? Eventually people get tired of a car taking up space in the garage, making payments on something they are wanting to sell, paying insurance and registration fees, keeping a spare car clean, dealing with flaky Craigslist ad prospective buyers, dealing with joy riders, lowballers etc. all this should create seller competition for buyers BUT it's not. Everyone seems to think their Tesla is "better than new" or "unique" or "future collectors item" and even an appreciating asset.

It's very weird from a strictly efficient market hypothesis perspective. Ok, sorry for the random brain dump ramblings but this has got me thinking and contemplating the business, economic and emotional forces that are playing out in front of us. If Tesla is just warehousing all the trade ins, lease returns and guaranteed buy backs on big empty lots, the day of will come that they need to turns those cars back into cash and the Great CPO Purge will be overshadowed by the Great CPO Flood. I'll sit back and enjoy other people's responses.

They are taking in trades, but they don't want to sell them. I saw a trade in at a tesla store and it was clearly for sale but they didn't want to give me price. It was a 2015 85 with AP and told me it would be around $75k. They pointed me to an inventory 70 that was for sale.
Think they want to clear out there inventory cars before they start selling CPOs.

They are taking in trades, but they don't want to sell them. I saw a trade in at a tesla store and it was clearly for sale but they didn't want to give me price. It was a 2015 85 with AP and told me it would be around $75k.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, and can't get Tesla to offer me, so far. :(

It's priced a little higher than the one I saw in December on the CPO site that got me headed in that direction, but I'd consider paying that much.

They are taking in trades, but they don't want to sell them. I saw a trade in at a tesla store and it was clearly for sale but they didn't want to give me price. It was a 2015 85 with AP and told me it would be around $75k. They pointed me to an inventory 70 that was for sale.
Think they want to clear out there inventory cars before they start selling CPOs.

IMHO, Tesla will have to offer better pricing to clear out their inventory. I admit I am a bit flummoxed by Tesla's delay and reluctance with regard to CPOs.

Folks, I've come to realize 2 other factors that could be at play here.
1. Model X is having quality issues. Many owners are getting Model S loaners for long periods. This means increased demand for the CPOs as loaners.
2. The Model X issues also suck up SC time. They are overloaded. So, fewer personnel are available to prepare the CPOs. I think, CPO sales take a back seat compared to Model X deliveries and repairs.

Two Tesla CPO sales guys have told me in 2-3 weeks there will be a lot more CPOs. One guy said a lot of cars will be coming off lease. No idea how true this is or not.

I just did a quick search and found some articles from April and May 2013 about the "new" Tesla lease program. So it sounds like the early leases will be expiring soon and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those people changed to a dual drive with auto pilot car and/or and X. It's quite possible they will be getting a number of used cars in stock soon.

I also think mmd may have a point too. They may be using what used cars they have as loaners at the moment. They were very aggressively selling off anything they had late last year to make the sales goals. They may have sold off all the new inventory cars that were being used as loaners and filled in the loaner ranks with what used cars they had.