Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two types of CPO/Used warranties.

1. A two year, 100,000 miles maximum odometer pre-owned limited warranty
2. A four year, 50,000 miles pre-owned limited warranty extension

The $27k Model S had the first warranty -- a 2 year/100k max mile warranty.

But there have been many CPO/Used cars sold with over 50k miles with the second 4 year/50k warranty, so for those cars, they do have pre-owned warranties that can exceed 100k miles. Some examples are below.

upload_2018-7-18_10-46-51.png

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm not sure that cleared much up. When do cars have one warranty vs. the other?

As Plan B said, it depends. When looking at Used cars on Tesla's site on each car detail page, under the photos, you'll see one of the following two statements.

This is the two-year, 100k max odo warranty for higher mileage, older cars:

upload_2018-7-19_11-14-36.png

This is the four-year, 50k add-on warranty for lower mileage, newer cars:

upload_2018-7-19_11-14-52.png

I've been told by an OA that standard practice is to offer 4 yr/50k warranties on cars less than 4 years old and under 50k miles when listed. Obviously there are exceptions
My CPO was sold to me with about 52k on it, but did come with 4yr/50k warranty. Not that much over, but over. (Car was late 13, and I got it CPO in summer 2016)

I've been told by an OA that standard practice is to offer 4 yr/50k warranties on cars less than 4 years old and under 50k miles when listed. Obviously there are exceptions
That doesn't make much sense. A car under 50K would have been warrantied to 100K under the original factory warranty. Changing the warranty to just 50K would be a regression rather than an extension.

Edit: Nevermind, I just had a brain fart about the original warranty.

Last edited:
If a CPO comes with 4yr/50k, that is from the point of delivery to the CPO purchaser, not from when originally delivered to the first owner. There were some 4yr/50k that were offered for CPOs (very few) that already had >50k when they were traded in by their original owner making the CPO warranty go beyond 100k.

New cars do not carry a 100k warranty that I aware - not for the bumper-bumper warranty, that is.

I am not aware of any that went beyond 8 years from original delivery (thus exceeding the drivetrain/battery warranty).

That doesn't make much sense. A car under 50K would have been warrantied to 100K under the original factory warranty. Changing the warranty to just 50K would be a regression rather than an extension.

No, it makes sense. The original factory warranty is 4 years/50k miles. There is no 100k original factory warranty. A CPO car sold with under 50k miles would get an additional 50k miles/4years warranty from the date/mileage at the time of CPO purchase. So a car with 40k miles would get the CPO warranty from 40k miles to 90k miles. The CPO warranty replaces the <50k factory warranty at time of purchase.

If a CPO comes with 4yr/50k, that is from the point of delivery to the CPO purchaser, not from when originally delivered to the first owner. There were some 4yr/50k that were offered for CPOs (very few) that already had >50k when they were traded in by their original owner making the CPO warranty go beyond 100k.

Yes, I posted some examples of this above. I count 58 Model S CPOs sold with the 4 year/50k warranty but had over 50k miles at the time of sale (and therefore covered to over 100k miles).

I am not aware of any that went beyond 8 years from original delivery (thus exceeding the drivetrain/battery warranty).

My P85+ was an inventory car I bought with 8k miles. I also bought the ESA for it (which is different from the CPO warranty), so it covered the car up to 108k miles and 8 years+9 months past from original delivery date.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Trying to rationalise why some cars seem to have over 100k warranty is not a worthwhile pastime as Tesla sometimes don't always get it right, cars that change hands multiple times can give funny patterns of behaviour (a car traded after 10k and then appearing for sale again with say 55k on the clock would still be under continual warranty and may be eligible for a further 50k whereas a different car may have had a 5k break in cover which may be treated differently) and they also just key stuff in wrong. They've listed a pre facelift P100D at one point - different mistake but illustrates the point.

The two options Hank posted are basically it - below 50k/4 year -you start the clock again for 50k and 4 year. Above that you get something different.

One thing to note - the used car warranty isn't the same as the new car warranty - there are some differences in cover although for many years you'd not know the difference, and a used car warranty seems to terminate the new car warranty - I've not got to the bottom of it as it doesn't apply to me but with the way Tesla are treating CPO at the moment, paint defects you'd have been able to claim after say 2 years and 20k miles you might struggle with if the car had been traded, whereas with other makes, the new car warranty typically survives the change of ownership..