Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious the problems you've had. I'm in a similar situation although my MS has not stranded me as it sounds like you've had. Similar in that I don't care to be owning a Tesla out of warranty (regardless of the car's history). Thanks!
What is interesting is that in a Model S, there are so many other things that can go wrong that prevent the car from going, but the longer warranty only applies to parts of the "drive train." In a 1980s Buick, that was simple. In a 2013 Model S, in 2019 after the bumper-bumper warranty has expired, it is not so simple. The MCU does not participate directly in propelling the car forward, but if it goes out, it can prevent any parts from doing their job.

On a similar note, I asked the question a couple of years ago (with no response) "What happens when you are out of warranty, but an OTA software update adversely affects your car?" Does Tesla explicitly warrant that free OTA update that some of us crave independently of any other warranty?

Reactions: Electroman
I'm curious the problems you've had. I'm in a similar situation although my MS has not stranded me as it sounds like you've had. Similar in that I don't care to be owning a Tesla out of warranty (regardless of the car's history). Thanks!

Get some popcorn...a smoking jacket....and a bib.

So, I got my car in July 2016. It was at the very end of what I'd consider the pinnacle of the Tesla buying experience. I had 2 support staff helping me with my car - they wanted to surprise me with it and felt bad when I saw it before it could be fully reviewed.

They said it was odd because I was kind of Meh about it all. It was a great experience but I just didn't really know how to feel....never bought something so expensive, and without pictures no less. The car was really really good condition. It looked so close to new, it was truly quite impressive. Few tiny paint chips, a few rub marks on interior...that's it. 59,000 miles

7/2016 to 7/2018 were fairly uneventful. Just all the minor stuff that Tesla owners complain about that Tesla bent over backwards to fix. Most of my complaints were due to the understaffed and overworked nearest service center - Mt. Kisco which was 4.5 hours drive from my house...Made around 5 of those trips back and forth.

Tesla fixed all the stuff that they fix for everybody else. Some brake pads, calipers even some sway bars and my drivers seat because it made a clicking noise after taking it to service once...it came back making new sounds. Always had problems with alignment so I gave up on that and got it done elsewhere.

November 2018 is when the crazy really started.

About November 8th 2018 just before a really bad cold wave, my heat stopped working in the car. I had only seat heaters. So if I needed to clear the windows - it could only be done by blasting cold air.

I scheduled an appointment with Mt. Kisco and drove down during a freakishly cold day, which stunk because the day before and the day after were both fairly warm. But the day we drove down we had trouble with windshield fog and and were using blankets and seat heaters while dealing with cranked cold air.

Mt. Kisco figured out that the car's DC to DC converter was dead and they replaced it even out of warranty. Which I really appreciated but they did inform me that going forward - that part is $2000....ouch. I picked up the car November 20th 2018

December 20th, 2018 (1 month EXACTLY from when I last picked up the car)
I took my car to a car wash, and later that night, the car started throwing about 10 different codes on and off like crazy. I made it home despite loosing power steering.

When I got my car back into the garage at my house...it stayed there for almost 3 months. I'll say again...almost 3 months I was 4 days shy of 3 months. I didn't have a second car (which was stupid of me) and was borrowing a truck from work until I could source one. The car would not go into Drive...it would say "D" but not be in Drive. It would do strange stuff like wipers or lock me in the car. I tried to explain it to my wife how I felt in the garage when I tried to see what could be done for the car. I said it feels like the Tesla is unpredictable right now...like I have a wild horse in the garage and I'm glad it doesn't have Auto Pilot or I'd half expect to see it stuck in our yard some evening.

I even tried a factory reset - which did nothing but brick the center screen....

Mt. Kisco wouldn't help because they were in the year end push for 2018...which was really intense time for Tesla....they quoted me $1500 for a tow to the Service Center. I bought AAA, and bought a second car which could be serviced locally (a 2013 Chevy Volt).

I was on the phone with Tesla Support multiple times and they told me very confusing things about my car. They even said the car tried to initiate an update itself. I thought that could be the problem. I had Tesla Ranger come and try to replace my 12v...that didn't work. Ranger wouldn't call me back when I tried to get him there a 2nd time (Thanks Steve).

I kept the car charged by putting it up to 90% wait till it got low...back up to 90% and so on.

March 16th, the weather was starting to warm slightly so I went to my car and tried to put it in gear. Magically it drove out of my garage. I called my wife and said "the car is driving...I have no screen...therefore no heat again...no backup camera...not even sure if I can control the lights. But if I can drive up and down our road....we are going to Mt. Kisco." So we both dropped everything and headed for the service center.

Luckily we had already done Mt. Kisco with no heat...so we were pros at this now. But the windshield was difficult to keep it visible...but we made it again. Mt. Kisco was shocked when I said the car had been in my garage almost 3 months. They thought it had only been like 2 weeks...they were flabbergasted. Come to find out - my tire pressure sensors threw all the codes that made the car think it was falling apart. So....they upgraded to the latest version which I had to pay for, but I was back in business.

Car was done March 18th 2019

November 13 2019

My car center screen repeatedly boots with the Tesla T against a black screen...then the screen goes blank...then tries again continuously.

Currently AAA is worried about towing the car with it stuck in Neutral.

Going to try and revive this thread - This is the thread that helped me find my 2013 Model S in 2016...I've had it just shy of 3.5 years and I think it's time to figure out how to get a newer car with a refreshed warranty.

I went through Brent Seavey and he was awesome and helped me find exactly (and I mean EXACTLY) what I wanted and on the lower side of my budget. Brent has since been moved to new vehicle sales and I've found nobody at Tesla who has replaced him adequately.

I've seen some really crazy deals hit EV-CPO Hunter website - but they are gone virtually as soon as they post.

Not sure what to do at this point - but the current Model S I have it getting too risky to continue to rely on (car is stuck at work) as I've now had 2 non-driveable events in the last year alone

It's been a very dramatic ownership experience to say the very least...

Brent helped me when I bought my S in 2015. Does he still work in Chicago area? I'm looking for a X now.

November 13 2019

My car center screen repeatedly boots with the Tesla T against a black screen...then the screen goes blank...then tries again continuously.

Currently AAA is worried about towing the car with it stuck in Neutral.

Sorry to hear about your experience. The current screen issue sounds a lot like your eMMC chip is now failing.
I would recommend you get the car to Tesla service again so they can diagnose the problem and report back.

Likely MCU Failure (MCU1 eMMC)

• Helpful
Reactions: dhanson865

LOL, but not LOL what happened to you. Thank you for the blow-by-blow recounting of the events.

FWIW I believe the newer vehicles are much better as one would expect. We have a 2015 MS 85 we picked up in Sept. 2017 with 22k mi. and it has had a few problems. Drive unit replacement, which isn't wholly unexpected for that build year, sunroof weather stripping cracking which required replacing the entire glass roof IIRC and front suspension clicking (don't recall the fix) are the major things. It's been solid for the last year or so. Everything done under warranty - zero cost to me - and I live 20 min. from the SC.

Seems like there are reports of good experiences buying used even now. I think I'm done with sedans so it will be either a used X or new Y.

Reactions: SmartElectric
So I finally got the car to the new and extremely understaffed Rochester NY service center. I just got whacked with an initial $2100 before tax - to replace the MCU. I still think it's the eMMC.

I asked if the screen replacement would be the newest version or a Gen 1 replacement of my original. They said it would be the same as mine but it would have 4g....which I told them I've already paid for the upgrade to 4g. Then they said it would be exactly the same.

If it was the latest version of the MCU - I'd likely not even be writing this.

We haven't even begun discussing the other issues that don't concern being able to drive:

- The further developing rattle in the front
- The rear camera that stopped working around Halloween
- The leak marks on my interior (sunroof?)
- E-brake which had been throwing codes the last 2 weeks before the car died.

I've reached out to Mt. Kisco to see what they think as they've serviced my car the most during my ownership.

Thinking of Referral is a minor thing at this point - but I believe my family and friends will never consider a Tesla due to how much service they've observed on my behalf. I've never pushed my experience on them, or my referral, but they've been able to easily observe my ownership experience and I think it's permanently shelved my chances of my referral doing anything but collecting digital dust.

It requires no conversation with co-workers if they merely observe the flatbed at the office picking up your Tesla, and you driving your Volt to work everyday thereafter.

@Aetius What an awful experience. After all you have gone through, Tesla doesn't consider that vehicle a lemon? All the personal and work time that you have taken off to address the car's issues, should warrant some consideration of compensation of some sort. Wow, unbelievable! I'm hoping to take ownership of a 2016 Model S 90D this Friday, and I pray that I don't have to live in the service center. SMH

Good luck with your car!

So I just got off the phone with John B. @ Mt. Kisco Service Center and discussed where I was at.

I expressed that my Multimedia Control Unit actually won't allow me to access the use of my battery and drive unit, and therefor the battery and drive unit warranty don't completely make sense.

What if I don't care about driving without my center screen...I don't get media - but oh well at least I can drive....

John said that well that is just how it is with the warranty.

John suggested I try to trade in and I told him I'd already gone down that path previously and the offer was nearly insulting @ approx half of the private party value.

Not even sure how I'd try to sell this private party if I do put the money into putting everything right. If I'm going to be honest about the car's history - how can I, in good conscience, explain it without wasting my time and the time of the potential buyer?

I cannot shake the feeling that this may be the end of owning a Tesla for a while...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I've seen some really crazy deals hit EV-CPO Hunter website - but they are gone virtually as soon as they post.

I am relatively new here, but most of the cars I have seen on EV-CPO Hunter have been overpriced to my mind. Maybe I just am missing the crazy deals if they are gone as soon as you see them.

Do you have any specifics you would mind mentioning? Maybe I need to sit at the computer one day and F5 all day!

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I am continually amazed at the prices listed for those I see, and then the fact that they actually sell! I saw one car which had its price INCREASE multiple times over the 3 months pricing history shown on EV-CPO

Thanks for any information you can provide.

See the attached picture. That's the type of crazy deal I'm talking about. I think this happened on September 16th of this year?

Attachments

• 90d.PNG
    90d.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Love
Reactions: ZappCatt
Good morning! Still working through deciding which configuration of CPO Model S I want to focus on. I've settled on a post-facelift 75D or 90D. Looking at the EV-CPO site, I'm perplexed about one particular vehicle--a 90D--and wondering what I'm missing. The car is here; it's currently listed for thousands less than a large number of 75Ds, but is pretty well equipped. If I had my financing lined up, I might be tempted to buy it.

But it's been on the site for a while, and the price has dropped more than $5K since listed on the site.

It's got 49,364 miles on it; is that the issue? If so, given that Tesla's going to warrant this car for the same 4yrs/50K miles as all the other vehicles (with this warranty), what is it that's happening over those 10k/20k/30k more miles that this car has been driven (other than the usual wear and tear)? Is it range loss?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Todd

Good morning! Still working through deciding which configuration of CPO Model S I want to focus on. I've settled on a post-facelift 75D or 90D. Looking at the EV-CPO site, I'm perplexed about one particular vehicle--a 90D--and wondering what I'm missing. The car is here; it's currently listed for thousands less than a large number of 75Ds, but is pretty well equipped. If I had my financing lined up, I might be tempted to buy it.

But it's been on the site for a while, and the price has dropped more than $5K since listed on the site.

It's got 49,364 miles on it; is that the issue? If so, given that Tesla's going to warrant this car for the same 4yrs/50K miles as all the other vehicles (with this warranty), what is it that's happening over those 10k/20k/30k more miles that this car has been driven (other than the usual wear and tear)? Is it range loss?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Todd

That's a really good deal. There are 3 things I notice that would contribute to the lowered price.

1) higher miles than most of the other cars
2) Autopilot 1 (so Full Self Driving will never happen on this car)
3) The slight damage to the hatchback in the photos

Thanks very much for taking a look at that. I could probably find some nits to pick with the car, but otherwise, I thought it looked pretty good.

As for FSD, I've mostly written that off. It's not something I'd pay $5K/$7K (or more, considering you have to pay the premium just for the car to be FSD capable and then pay for it to be activated).

I've seen a unicorn or two with FSD listed as active on EV-CPO. I could imagine going for something like that, if everything else were within range. Otherwise, it's not a priority. Maybe by the time I can pull the trigger (late next summer), there will be a number of "unicorns" out there.

Thanks again!

That's a really good deal. There are 3 things I notice that would contribute to the lowered price.

1) higher miles than most of the other cars
2) Autopilot 1 (so Full Self Driving will never happen on this car)
3) The slight damage to the hatchback in the photos

See the attached picture. That's the type of crazy deal I'm talking about. I think this happened on September 16th of this year?

which one of those is the sale price? without column headers it's hard to guess.

Is it VIN, price, miles, discount meaning the discount was higher than the current price of the car? Surely that's a wrecked vehicle to go with that much of a discount.

which one of those is the sale price? without column headers it's hard to guess.
Is it VIN, price, miles, discount meaning the discount was higher than the current price of the car? Surely that's a wrecked vehicle to go with that much of a discount.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't a 'crazy deal' but rather just a pricing error that Tesla would not have honored.
The car didn't sell at that price and was relisted at $54,800 four days later and then sold/delisted the next day.

upload_2019-12-1_18-37-21.png

upload_2019-12-1_18-40-52.png

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865