TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S - Damon Vickers gives us an inside look!

Discussion in 'Video' started by JimmWilks, May 23, 2011.

1. JimmWilks

JimmWilks Member

#1 JimmWilks, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

Basically this is just a guy being shown around and inside the red prototype Model S, and a little discussion of the efficiencies of EVs as opposed to traditional ICE cars.

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm really not found of the touch screen from a driver distraction viewpoint. I don't want people to be able to Google or whatnot while driving. Some GPS systems won't let you enter addresses while driving and I hope the Tesla touch screen similarly disables most input while driving.

It's also much easier to change air conditioning settings, etc, by feel with buttons. Hopefully the steering wheel has actual buttons so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to find the right spot on the touch screen to fiddle with things.

That's not to say the touch screen isn't cool, but from a "while driving" usability perspective, I don't think touch screens are the best interactive choice.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

A single Roadster cell moves the car 190 feet forward.

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

That makes me wonder if the Roadster's design is optimal. They've put in 6,831 cells, with all sorts of management and cooling to keep them happy. This is really expensive, and really heavy. But most trips you're hauling around way more than you need, and some trips you could use more. What if the car really just had a mechanical system to move one (or a few) in at a time, use it, then grab more? No need to worry about balancing cells or keeping them cool. OK, so maybe you can't physically fit more than, say, 7,000 to start; but you can always stop at a store and quickly load more up. Although in that case you'd have to get rid of the used ones. It could look something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC8jnSaCqxY.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I guess you would call that "partial pack swap".

A couple reasons that pop to mind right away why that might not work would be:

#1: I think they drain the cells as a whole group to get the power output they need for the performance you get.
    (If you tried to drain only some of the cells in anticipation of swapping them later they would likely have to restrict the overall power output of the vehicle.
    Would you be willing to live with reduced acceleration and top speed to allow a partial pack swap later? Probably not.)

#2: From what I can tell, the cell sheets are assembled in a way that the individual cells are not easily removable. Perhaps they are welded in, or sandwiched between cooling lines, etc. A different sort of mechanism that allowed individual cells to be replaced easily would likely be bigger, heavier, costlier, and more complex.
    I suppose you could propose a system where certain sheets drain first, and the sheets could be swapped when needed, but you would still have issue #1.

I think the "all or nothing" approach to pack swapping is likely to be the only way that gets serious consideration.

6. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Was joke. I think an EV driving down the road rapidly ejecting used cells would be pretty cool, though.