Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Delivery Roulette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in case my comment on the article is deleted:

As a sig holder who was delivered way out of sequence, I was indeed annoyed. More annoyed, though, that David Noland continues to use the teslamotorsclub.com community to source his articles.

I can't take you seriously if you don't take your own job seriously.

I don't pretend to know anything about journalism, but pulling customer comments from a forum seems to be a decent legitimate source. Now, its not a absolutely true source (can't confirm the identity of someone trying to trash Tesla), but its a source nonetheless. I will say its interesting to see an article on "Green Car Report" to be in a negative light, at least that speaks to it not pandering, aka all electric cars are perfect.

You typically quote someone when you interview them or get their permission but it isn't mandatory. You at least link your source. He is now quoting people without even listing their usernames. Very lazy journalism.

Green Car Reports

I sent them a message with the subject 'General Feedback' about how he tends to use an anonymous forum for his articles without contacting the posters.

Journalism 101: The integrity of your sources matters.

The problem with using a forum as your source is blatantly obvious ... anyone can say anything on a forum. You could be quoting a short. You could be quoting YOURSELF. (Puppet show!) And certainly if you're going to pull stuff out of a forum with a copyright notice at the bottom of each page, you should be getting permission and providing a link to your source.

Sorry, David. While the topic is valid, you didn't do the work.

We've known for a long time that 85kwh's were going to go out first, and that certain features would delay production -- grey leather, not wanting air suspension, etc. I don't see the big deal. We are participating in something revolutionary here; something much bigger and better than just a luxury car purchase. THIS is not the equivalent of a lunch deli in New York City. IMHO.

PS. I'm proud of my place in line (P2,619) because it represents my early stake and risk in this revolution, not because it gets me a car earlier.

I try and play each side of things most of the time, just because like many of us here (we are on a site called Teslamotorsclub.com) I can be a "fanboy" of the company and the product. While I can understand his frustration about his number, I can't agree with him about 85kwh getting their car first and him being upset about it. Honestly the whole article sounds like "I didn't get my car yet either! I am going to write an article about it because I am upset about that!"

Even if he was a 85kwh reservation holder, does that make him right to have his car late? I don't believe so. Having just a Bachelors in business (Or... just taking one logistics course) I would argue that logistics for a company like this is off the charts and I too would send products to certain locals first then to follow the order numbers. Yes, it will probably make customers upset, but if I am not mistaken I believe either Elon or George B touched on why they are delivering such as they are.

I am in IT, I don't pretend to know anything about logistics, but I know enough to say that getting your order late from an upstart NEW car company (in relation to mass market) with NEW technology and a NEW market. I would be glad to even have the chance to get the car.

Quoted post :

Well, my delivery window of 12/15-12/31 has now come and gone. I still have not even been given a VIN. Nobody at Tesla is able to provide any information (including my DS). The My Tesla page has shown my car in production for over 3 weeks, but my DS states that production has yet to begin. He doesn't know when it will. Reservation holders greater than 3500 spots below mine have gotten their VIN. Emails, phone calls, etc. and no concrete information in response. "We're a new/small company...please be patient." That worked for me for a couple of weeks. Now it's becoming a tired excuse.

Extremely frustrated. Any suggestions?!

Can't find the other one.

Seems like a reasonable article tho it would've been nice to link comments in context. Give TMC some traffic and it sources the quote if folks want to see more.

Who know what happens in editing tho. Greencarreports might have editor issues with embedded links to forum quotes.

Good luck on getting the 60Kwh car soon David! The car really is very nice which is why waiting is soooo very hard.

George Blankenship - March 7 said:
■ The first 1000 cars off the line will be the North American Model S Signature Series. Those vehicles will be equipped with a 300 mile range battery. In the tradition of a limited-edition series, they will feature unique badging and an extensive complement of options.
■ After the Model S Signature Series, deliveries for North America will continue with the 300 mile batteries, followed by 230 and 160 options later in 2012
David Noland - January 3 said:
I understand his frustration.

Why should a Johnny-Come-Lately who puts his money down for a few months on a sure thing get his car before a True Believer who gambled $5,000 back when the Model S was a pipe dream and Tesla was a company struggling to even stay alive?

The 85-kWh Advantage

Although there seems to be no rhyme nor reason for many of the out-of-order deliveries, the cause of my delay is clear: I've ordered my car with the mid-size 60-kWh battery.
So, 22 months later this is newsworthy? Journalism fail.

Arguably ethics fail as well, but I'm trying to be more generous in the new year with my criticisms.