Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Door Handle Microswitch UPGRADED Harness Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I've grown tired of having my Model S door handles repaired every year, especially since I'm now out of warranty and I think it's about $400 each time. EV tuning has an upgraded micro-switch/wire replacement that seems problem free. The trouble is the shipping is obscene ($111.62 USD for a $79.95 USD part). I've noticed though that I can buy a quantity of 5x with the same shipping. I can get even more with a relatively small increase in shipping.

I thought maybe I'd ask to see if anyone else is looking to get the kit or have one to spare. I live in Calgary. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I've grown tired of having my Model S door handles repaired every year, especially since I'm now out of warranty and I think it's about $400 each time. EV tuning has an upgraded micro-switch/wire replacement that seems problem free. The trouble is the shipping is obscene ($111.62 USD for a $79.95 USD part). I've noticed though that I can buy a quantity of 5x with the same shipping. I can get even more with a relatively small increase in shipping.

I thought maybe I'd ask to see if anyone else is looking to get the kit or have one to spare. I live in Calgary. Thanks!I
I do not own a S model however I am in the electronics industry, so thought I would ask...can you detach the microswitch from the harness? I assume that Tesla is simply using low cost microswitches that are prone to failure. If there is a simple way to detach that you may be better off sourcing a quality switch rather than the entire harness.

I thought maybe I'd ask to see if anyone else is looking to get the kit or have one to spare. I live in Calgary. Thanks!
u can try reshippers like crossborderpickups... ship to their warehouse in buffalo and they bring it over to toronto to reship to you...

I do not own a S model however I am in the electronics industry, so thought I would ask...can you detach the microswitch from the harness? I assume that Tesla is simply using low cost microswitches that are prone to failure. If there is a simple way to detach that you may be better off sourcing a quality switch rather than the entire harness.
It is not the micro switch that fails. The constant flexing of the wires results in the eventual failure. The constant flexing results in a break of the harness wire insulation which in turn lets salt water corrode the wire until it breaks. A better way of engineering the handle would be to place the micro switches and attached harness on the non moving part of the handle. The "upgraded" harness consists of more flexible wire with silicone insulation.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the suggestions and looked into them. I ultimately ended up emailing EV tuning and they gave me a much better shipping rate. So I got three of them. After duties, taxes, shipping, etc it still came to almost $130 CAD / per door handle. But it should be the last time I ever have problems with it since it uses sealed strain reliefs and flexible silicone insulation with braided cable (instead of solid). Tesla service wants $180 for their version that is guaranteed to fail within 4 years (sometimes as little as one year depending on how it's installed).

Reactions: Tony_YYZ and mrElbe