Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S driver walks away from crash with a truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Tesla Model S driver walks away from crash with a truck at ‘tremendous speed’

Wow - looking at those photos, I am reconsidering my plan to keep a full size spare wheel and tire in my frunk. Glad the driver was OK. Too bad he was speeding in a construction zone.

tesla-model-s-nl-crash.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch and sorka
These trucks display a larger-than-life pass on the left/right arrow and flash blinking lights, but may be stationary on the shoulder or the affected lane, i.e., very visible to the human but not necessarily to the artificially intelligent eye.

"Walks" away might be a bit of a stretch, probably more like carried away on a stretcher.
According to the article: "the driver reportedly was able to get himself out of the car and walk to safety". Though you are probably correct in that there was a stretcher involved after that. Walked, stretcher, critical, serious, whatever. I wouldn't want any of that for myself or anyone else.

"Walks" away might be a bit of a stretch, probably more like carried away on a stretcher.

Maybe, but Elektrek.co's translation of the cited German source is basically correct. In my direct translation the important sentence from the German source is:

The 56-year-old driver from the area of Karlsruhe injured thereby himself seriously, but could leave his fully destroyed vehicle by himself and bring himself to safety.

I am speculating that "bring" and "to safety" means that the driver staggered the few steps into the center median.

I find it notable that the driver's door was not jammed tight by the collision (apart from the fact that the accident was not fatal).

That has been an on-going drumbeat, but was there any indication Autopilot was in use for this particular accident?

That is the point, the quoted article refers to this accident in connection with the call to Tesla regarding the AP without any information on how the accident actually happened.

So in the end, what was surely meant as a another AP-joke is now less funny.

Except of course for those laboring to make Tesla Motors fail.

Last edited: