Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Efficiency and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The EPA rates my Ford Fusion Hybrid at 36/41 MPG. In 38000 miles I have averaged 42.5 MPG combines City Highway. I am about 75% Highway as well (which the EPA rates at 36 mpg) It's how the car is driven that makes the difference. I drive for mileage as part of the fun of having Hybrid. If The EPA says 265, I will easily get 300 MPG.

Just updated the wiki page :)
Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's still the third-best Cd for a production car ever! The current Prius and the original Insight are right behind at 0.25.

I demand a rematch.
250px-Tatra_T_77a.jpg
The Tatra 77

NO friggin way! That bumper alone would kill the airflow. This beating the S is laughable. Who can we call?

photo1.png

The 265 / 300 difference EPA 5-cycle vs. claimed range, is a bit better than the 35 / 40 difference for the Volt, and much better than the 73 / 100 difference for the Leaf. Meaning, Tesla was closer in their advertised range than both GM and Nissan.

From that CNET Article:
Even with the lower-than-expected EPA test range, the Model S should rank as the highest-range production electric car.

Lower than expected? I'm 100% sure Tesla knew that the 5-cycle range would be less than 300 mi. Nowhere did Tesla ever say the 300 mi range was using the 5-cycle test.

Almost everyone on this forum expected it. What does "lower-than-expected" mean? Lower than the author expected? Ugh. The media is such a joke--there are so very few good writers out there.

It's not (just) the writing. It's that there are even fewer who know how to do research, and even fewer still that don't have (political) axes to grind.

It is easy to do research in 3 easy steps:
  1. Edit Wikipedia (anonymously through a proxy) to say what you want it to.
  2. Write article with Wikipedia as a source.
  3. After publication quickly put your writing as source on Wikipedia.
Wait who am I kidding most of them can't even put out enough effort to edit Wikipedia. They just think something up, skim Wikipedia. Misread it so they think they are write and then off to the publisher. Maybe not even that.

It is easy to do research in 3 easy steps:
  1. Edit Wikipedia (anonymously through a proxy) to say what you want it to.
  2. Write article with Wikipedia as a source.
  3. After publication quickly put your writing as source on Wikipedia.
Wait who am I kidding most of them can't even put out enough effort to edit Wikipedia. They just think something up, skim Wikipedia. Misread it so they think they are write and then off to the publisher. Maybe not even that.

citogenesis.png

xkcd: Citogenesis

Just updated the wiki page :)
Automobile drag coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's still the third-best Cd for a production car ever! The current Prius and the original Insight are right behind at 0.25.

I am not ready to hang my hat on the Cd of 0.24 being the absolute number for the Model S. The quote from the blog was "Cd of approximately 0.24". That leaves some wiggle room to be as low as 0.22 IMO. One reason Tesla would choose to publish the higher (in this case worst) spec would be the different configurations available for the Model S does slightly change the Cd number. Tesla choose to publish the highest Cd rather than publish each possible combination. Examples of different combinations: air suspension vs coil springs, 19" vs 21" wheels vs aero wheels, spoiler vs non spoiler, pano roof vs non pano roof. Someone with more math skills can figure how many combinations with just the variables I listed would be. I think it's a bunch. Tesla was just trying to keep it simple and is publishing the worst case spec.

Last edited:
s2.jpg

The Tatra T600 looks more aerodynamic. So interesting it's rated cd is less than the boxy front the 77 sports.
I still demand a recount. Besides the Tatra's flat nose with it's bumper, grill, headlights and look at the vertical windshield slope and exposed wipers, and door handles. I bet the bottom is not flat like the Model S. It's tall taller too.

So it has a pointy back end read wheel covers and no side mirrors. I still vote Tesla.

ETA:

Ah HA!
The website says "...Tatra only measured only 1:5 and 1:10 models [in the wind tunnel]..."

Last edited:
s2.jpg

The Tatra T600 looks more aerodynamic. So interesting it's rated cd is less than the boxy front the 77 sports.
I still demand a recount. Besides the Tatra's flat nose with it's bumper, grill, headlights and look at the vertical windshield slope and exposed wipers, and door handles. I bet the bottom is not flat like the Model S. It's tall taller too.

So it has a pointy back end read wheel covers and no side mirrors. I still vote Tesla.

ETA:

Ah HA!
The website says "...Tatra only measured only 1:5 and 1:10 models [in the wind tunnel]..."
Shenanigans!
Shenanigans (Season 2, Episode 13) - Video Clips - South Park Studios