Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Fast Charging From An E-Station Via A CHAdeMO Adaptor. It Works!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone asks you about installing an EVSE that you might use, my suggestion would be to say you'll patronise any that are Type 2. Alternatively, put one at your place of work or get the owner of your favourite haunt to put one there. And don't forget to put it on Plugshare.

My 2c here.

I recently installed an EVSE at home for a conversion car, where the plug I put on the car is entirely my choice. The car isn't ready yet, but the EVSE is up and on plugshare.
I went with J1772, because the standard is so popular in america, it makes it the only affordable option, without building my own EVSE. Even the stand alone plug and sockets for type 2 cost a lot more than type 1.

The cheapest I could find a type 2 socket EVSE was around $1400 AUD. I got a 7.2kW J1772 charger from USA for under $700 delivered. Sure , type 2 is more flexible for higher power & 3 phase, but it's not really a factor for the home garage.

an OpenEVSE with a type 2 socket is doable, but not an 'off the shelf' EVSE.

Definitely agree that type 2 is the preferable standard - especially using the same pins for DC as tesla does.