TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S Featured in YVR Telus Recharger/Antenna Marriage Video

Discussion in 'Video' started by ElectricFarmBoy, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ElectricFarmBoy

This recent video put out by Canadian telecommunications giant Telus is quite interesting and features a cameo by local Tesla fan and TMC lurker-but-not-member MarkV (and his Model S). The win-win concept of providing charging stations combined with camouflaged wireless antennas is an interesting one that potentially could combine with supercharger stations someday as well.

Check it out on youtube at Wireless technology: Enhancing electric vehicle charging stations (for the impatient, the Model S shows up at about 2:50).

2. fcharland

fcharland Member

What a great idea !

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Where are the solar panels? :)

4. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

*rolls eyes at use of ChargePoint charging stations* (low power, high cost, high complexity :frown:)

5. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Cool concept but I still think the cell antenna looks like a giant cigarette. I'll need to see it in person (we live near Vancouver).

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Every one I've used so far has been free. They are low power, but seem to work well enough, IMHO.

7. swaltner

swaltner Member

I suspect the high-cost comment was regarding the actual EVSE itself, not the cost of charging on them. The cost to plug-in is a decision made by the hosting site. I recently called them and got retail pricing on ChargPoint's CT4023 wall-mounted dual-EVSE system to pass on pricing to our local facilities group. Our corporate HQ "mandates" ChargePoint EVSEs so they can limit access to employees only and chargeback for electricity usage. The CT4023 retailed for $6,700. If you dropped the ChargePoint network and just purchased a "generic" EVSE that didn't have access controls or the ability to chargeback for electricity usage, you could easily buy two 30 Amp EVSEs for less than $2,000.

8. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Correct, swaltner. I was referring to the cost of the EVSE hardware.

As you've discovered, they are disproportionately expensive both to buy (I've heard upwards of $15,000 in some locales) and operate (there is a monthly fee to maintain membership with the ChargePoint network, internet-access fees, as well as the fees charged by Visa/Mastercard if you wish to do a payment model). What really gets me though is the "low-power" part. 30-amps is just not practical for any useful mileage gains. Unless you park at a location all day, it isn't worth the time (or money, in some cases).