Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Fire Discussion Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wondering about these "parked fires" too. Partly because my last service (third year on a April/May 2014 build) had job number one as an item that I hadn't requested repair/service for and isn't part of the regular regimen. It could be in a completely different part of the car (I dunno) but in case it was a proactive replacement of something related to this... and because it has "heater" in the part name, I'm just wondering if this is related??

"Replace Battery Coolant Heater due to potential low isolation"
MDL, S, DM, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT HEATER 1038901-00-G

That sounds like they replaced the 6kW high voltage electric coolant heater for the battery pack, which I believe is towards the rear of the under-Frunk mechanicals package near the middle.

If it indeed is one of the components cited in the pictures above, the fan controller module looks to me like a potential source. It has a large heatsink on it, so that indicates to me that it can control a fairly large amount of power that goes to the condenser fans. The controller is there because those fans can be very loud at high speed, and the controller varies the fan speed to the minimum required for cooling to keep the noise down.

If that controller somehow shorts internally, it's going to get really hot.

As far as the driver's side preference, does the car sequence the two fans? i.e. does the driver's side fan actuate first, then the passenger side fan only if required? This could mean that the fan controller on the driver's side cycles more often and therefore has more opportunity for failure. It could also mean that the driver's side fan gets more use and therefore has a higher probability of mechanical failure modes (jammed fan, bad bearings, etc.) than the passenger side fan.

For that matter, what happens to this fan controller module if the driver's side fan is jammed or has bad bearings (hard to rotate)? Does the module have protective circuitry to detect these failure modes? Is the fan module itself cooled by the fan airflow? i.e. if the fan has low airflow for the amount of power being controlled by the module, does the module overheat?

Some investigation may be warranted.

Reactions: Btr_ftw
If it indeed is one of the components cited in the pictures above, the fan controller module looks to me like a potential source. It has a large heatsink on it, so that indicates to me that it can control a fairly large amount of power that goes to the condenser fans. The controller is there because those fans can be very loud at high speed, and the controller varies the fan speed to the minimum required for cooling to keep the noise down.

If that controller somehow shorts internally, it's going to get really hot.

As far as the driver's side preference, does the car sequence the two fans? i.e. does the driver's side fan actuate first, then the passenger side fan only if required? This could mean that the fan controller on the driver's side cycles more often and therefore has more opportunity for failure. It could also mean that the driver's side fan gets more use and therefore has a higher probability of mechanical failure modes (jammed fan, bad bearings, etc.) than the passenger side fan.

For that matter, what happens to this fan controller module if the driver's side fan is jammed or has bad bearings (hard to rotate)? Does the module have protective circuitry to detect these failure modes? Is the fan module itself cooled by the fan airflow? i.e. if the fan has low airflow for the amount of power being controlled by the module, does the module overheat?

Some investigation may be warranted.
Agreed.. when I posted that picture the heat sink jumped out at me too...

It's interesting if they are starting while parked, however. I wonder if wither remote HVAC triggering, or pack-thermal management activity might be involved.

Those pictures do seem to have something in common. Do you know if Tesla investigated the cause of the fire on the car(s) you own?

There are counterexamples to this pattern, of course. The recent fire in Shanghai appears to have been on the passenger side. And the consensus regarding the Norwegian supercharger fire seems to be that it started in the high voltage junction box under the rear seats.

From what I've read, Tesla has been adding temperature sensing to components that could overheat, and the likelihood of your Model S catching fire is extremely remote in any case.

And speaking of pattern recognition, I came across this picture on the intertubes and thought, "he looks awfully familiar!" ;)

DruK6jg.jpg

For what it's worth, when I exceed ~90 mph in my 2015 85D (typically when passing) I get a burnt toast like smell.
These speed bursts last maybe 10 seconds max and the smell lingers for about 30 seconds. Consequently I'm wary of attempting a max speed run in this vehicle. No matter, it's the whiplash acceleration that I like.
Has anyone else experienced this smell?

Have Tesla check it out or remember to post your burnt Tesla pics in this thread?

kthx.

After looking at article after article about Tesla fires, I'm starting to see a pattern here. They seem to mostly originate from the same place in the car. The front of the car... (duh) but more specifically the front drivers side.

Full disclosure here. I have owned more than a couple Teslas and some of them were fire salvaged cars... and guess what? ALL of the fire car's I've owned the fire originated from the front of the car, specifically the drivers side. Ok no biggie. Then I see a new thread the other day about ANOTHER Model S that caught fire IN THE SAME LOCATION. I know that there is a high concentration of wiring harnesses up front along with the fuse boxes but something is up, why does it come from the front, and why the front driver's side?

Something
has to be going on here. I understand that my sample size is too small to make a conclusive answer, but given that Teslas don't catch fire very often I feel that I'm not too far off base.

So lets analyze some Tesla fire trends shall we?

No accident, no impact, happened while driving fire originated from front drivers side.

3rd-model-s-fire.jpg

This first example from Tennessee 3 years ago, I remember. I believe you are wrong about not having any impact or accident. This car hit a tow hitch:
Third Tesla Model S Fire In Past 5 Weeks Breaks Out After Accident (Updated - Collision With Tow Hitch) | Inside EVs

Given this I believe you should reexamine all your assumptions about the other examples whether there was impact with other objects.

Reactions: anonim1979
After looking at article after article about Tesla fires, I'm starting to see a pattern here. They seem to mostly originate from the same place in the car. The front of the car... (duh) but more specifically the front drivers side.

Full disclosure here. I have owned more than a couple Teslas and some of them were fire salvaged cars... and guess what? ALL of the fire car's I've owned the fire originated from the front of the car, specifically the drivers side. Ok no biggie. Then I see a new thread the other day about ANOTHER Model S that caught fire IN THE SAME LOCATION. I know that there is a high concentration of wiring harnesses up front along with the fuse boxes but something is up, why does it come from the front, and why the front driver's side?

Something
has to be going on here. I understand that my sample size is too small to make a conclusive answer, but given that Teslas don't catch fire very often I feel that I'm not too far off base.

So lets analyze some Tesla fire trends shall we?

No accident, no impact, happened while driving fire originated from front drivers side.

3rd-model-s-fire.jpg

France Fire, no accident, happened while driving, car made a loud noise. Fire started from front drivers side.

Tesla-Model-S-fire-france.jpg

I personally OWN this car. This is the car that caught fire in Canada. Guess where the fire started? Front drivers side. No accident or impact, just caught fire in the garage

14d2eea6944bdddda32d304595ce6bdc576cbc83.JPG

Another one of my personal cars. Guess where the fire started? THATS RIGHT THE FRONT DRIVERS SIDE

28864945873_80f5539499.jpg

And most recently.. no impact, not driving, no accident.... Can anyone please help me determine where the fire started? Might be the front drivers side but not sure

d6qIhVD.png
[/IMG]
d6qIhVD.png

I reallllllllllllly think there is something more here.[/QU

Tesla fire 2.jpg

Tesla fire 3.jpg

Tesla fire 4.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

Same thing happened to me. Bought a 2015 S85D from Tesla in early August. First 10 days were bliss. On the 11th day I hit a piece of metal debris on route 78 east in NJ during morning rush hour. The impact was on the front passenger side of the car. Within 60 seconds the car was smoking, and within 2-3 minutes it was engulfed by flames. While I walked away with no injuries, it could have been an entirely different outcome if I was unconscious or if there had been small children in car seats. It took the fire company over 1100 gallons of water to put out the fire. They informed me that the typical combustion engine car fire requires 300-400 gallons of water.

Tesla claims that the titanium deflector plate was installed but has offered no proof. Tesla videos demonstrate the deflector plate protecting the car from impacts with trailer hitches and other large metal objects. Has Tesla actually installed the deflector plates? If not, why not? If so, what is the source of the defect in the engineering?

Those pictures do seem to have something in common. Do you know if Tesla investigated the cause of the fire on the car(s) you own?

There are counterexamples to this pattern, of course. The recent fire in Shanghai appears to have been on the passenger side. And the consensus regarding the Norwegian supercharger fire seems to be that it started in the high voltage junction box under the rear seats.

From what I've read, Tesla has been adding temperature sensing to components that could overheat, and the likelihood of your Model S catching fire is extremely remote in any case.

And speaking of pattern recognition, I came across this picture on the intertubes and thought, "he looks awfully familiar!" ;)

DruK6jg.jpg
I often wondered about this guy.
Now I know

About

Hide The Pain Harold, also simply referred to as "Harold" or "Maurice" is the nickname given to a senior stock photography model whose facial expression appears to indicate suppressed pain and/or discomfort.

Origin
The earliest known archived thread, where Harold first got attention, can be found on Facepunch, dating back to 2011. On September 13th, Facepunch forum user Greenen72, posted stock photos with the old man[1], originally from the site DreamsTime due to pictures having the site's watermark on them.