Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Hardware Upgrades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone -- I've done some searching online but I've only found opinion articles. is there a place where factory installed possible upgrades to the model S are shown? I've scoured the Tesla Website and can't seem to find them. I know of a few -- AP1 to AP2 upgrade, 3g to LTE upgrade, and battery pack upgrades and there are probably more. Is there a place where one can go to research, get prices and purchase like we did with our cars?

Comparing our 3G Model S to our LTE Model S, not worth the $500 for the upgrade, at least not until Tesla makes improvements to the software or their servers to take advantage of the higher speed.

The center console upgrade is for older Model S cars, before the console became standard. I did it with our VIN 3xxx S P85, and it was worth the high cost (over $1K) to get the storage space.

You may be able to get a charger upgrade. The earlier models came standard with a 40A charger - and you could add a second charger to increase max charging to 80A. Newer models come standard with a 48A charger (except for the 100's which come standard with a 72A charger), and you can upgrade to 72A charging. Though for home overnight charging 40A or 48A is more than enough to charge any Tesla overnight - the higher amp chargers are really only useful for public/destination chargers when travelling away from home, and you need to get a quicker charge during the day (and aren't near a supercharger).

There are some unofficial upgrades you may be able to get, if you contact the Service Center. For example, our 2012 S P85 had two dual nozzle sprayers for the windshield washers, that were frequently needing adjustment - the Service Center replaced those with the newer fan spray nozzles, which have proven to be more reliable. Though, it's unlikely you'll be able to get upgrades for most of the major hardware features (like AP1 to AP2, no-AP to AP2, adding power folding mirrors, adding parking sensors, ...) - since the amount of hardware changes needed to implement the new features would be too expensive to make sense for the upgrade.

As far as I know, Tesla replaced the sensors in the wheels, the receiver, harness and updated the software. Cost $306.

One issue I ran into was that service failed to change a configuration setting. This prevented the car from updating firmware. It failed 5 times before I took it into service and they fixed it.
I've seen recent reports where this costs a lot more, like over $100/wheel plus more. Depends on the SC. I believe that was Cleveland? So, truly, YMMV...