TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model-S Has Arrived ... You Have a Duty to Buy One (If you can afford one)

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Shakespear, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Shakespear

Shakespear Member

Daily Kos :: News Community Action

:biggrin:
    """It shreds the racetrack, makes little or no noise, drives hundreds of miles without a recharge, smooth as silk, roomy and comfortable, looks like pure sex, and you're saving the planet in the process. You have the option of a dedicated solar power source for recharging if you don't trust the grid, but even using the grid results in substantially less greenhouse gas emissions than if they were directly combusted in a car engine. Plus, if you buy this car, you'll be contributing to the evolution of the next generation car that will be available to the average person.

In other words, if you are an upper-middle-class person, you are obligated to buy the Tesla Model S. It's not a statement, it's not a toy, it's your duty - pure and simple. You have no other choice. Lexus, Mercedes, BWM, Audi...these cars are no longer on the menu if you are not a complete douchebag. Everything you want and more is in the Model S, so the only reason not to buy it if you have the means would be if you were a mentally disturbed right-wing sociopath who likes the idea of global warming and resource wars. So if you have the money and looking to buy a car in this range, this is it - the only option at your disposal. And let no one call themselves a liberal or progressive who can afford it that fails to buy this car. Hell, chip in together to buy one if you can't afford one individually. Clean up the streets and sexify them at the same time."""

2. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Eeek. A little dramatic and political, don't you think?

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I wish it was this. But reversed sentence order.

4. Shakespear

Shakespear Member

THE INVATION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS:

You have no other choice

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Well the posters username is Shakespeare ;)

But I do agree with him about people who purchase expensive ICE mobiles should instead purchase a tesla

6. Beckler

Beckler Member

This is only too extreme because there are other electric cars available. And also in many cases you don't need a car at all. That's even better, environmentally speaking. So just rent a Model S (or other) when you really need a car. Use public transit and push for that to become greener than it is.

But all that aside, the sentiment is correct. You *do* have an obligation. Just as you have one to not litter. Putting garbage into the air that kills other people and smogs up entire cities, isn't somehow your right.

7. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Oh really? Please do tell.
    As far as I know the Leaf is the only alternative to the Model S when buying new.

8. Beckler

Beckler Member

Well in Canada, these. Either now, or soon:
    Electric Vehicles Available in Canada

I assume the same ones (or more) in the US, since we're essentially a lower-population inferior-USA anyway. :)

9. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

As far as I know, those are all for sale in the US, but in selected markets only. An example would be a North Dakota EV fan that wants to buy(not that there are many), they have a limited choice while still being a part of the USA.

10. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

It's Daily Kos. Of course it's dramatic and political. And as these types of sites tend to do (whether right or left leaning), they've oversimplified. Fun to read though :biggrin:

11. gray

gray Member

Consuming more stuff != saving any part of the planet.

12. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Am I blind? Went to the link and did a search on the operative word ... eh, hem ... sex ... and nothing. What did I miss!???? :)

13. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

True. But they aren't trying to get people to consume more stuff. They aren't encouraging people that don't need a car at all to buy one, or for people to just add one to their fleet without replacing an existing car. They specifically addressed people "looking to buy a car in this range".

The intention is that if you buy an EV instead of a gas car, unless you plug in to a 100%-coal grid the net effect is to consume less stuff. That is still not as good as consuming nothing, but for people unwilling to do that, this is much better than buying another gas car.

14. jeffhre

jeffhre Member

Very possibly. Very probably if the original -stuff- has a large displacement powerplant that consumes far more stuff than was used to build the new stuff.

("Per M.A. Weiss et al., in the MIT Energy Laboratory's 2000 report, 'On the Road in 2020: A Lifecycle Analysis of New Automotive Technologies,' 75% of a vehicle’s lifetime carbon emissions are from the fuel it burns, and 19% is from the fuel production.

Extraction of the raw materials that make up the vehicle adds 4%, and only 2% of lifetime carbon is due to manufacturing & assembly.

While hybrids & may be higher in raw materials & assembly, due to added battery pack & electric machinery, the difference in overall lifetime carbon in manufacturing between electric & gasoline cars is negligible.

Study: http://web.mit.edu/sloan-auto-lab/research/beforeh2/files/weiss_otr2020.pdf ")

15. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

jeffhre - Thanks for the Executive Summary and kudos to you if you made your way through that entire report. Would be interesting to cross check assumptions made in 2000 with realities of 2013.

16. joer00

joer00 Member

I know some people rather criticized this post, but I 100 % agree ! Anybody who can afford a Tesla should get one and instead of "suffering" to do something good for out future one will be rewarded with the coolest driving experience ever!

I also think the same "obligation" holds true for almost ANY person who drives less than 70 miles a day. Such should be obligated to buy a LEAF. With a 200$ lease now it is almost free with the fuel savings. And while it is an ugly car from the outside, when I test drove it I was positively surprised, it is a great car !

17. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Car pooling would do more for the future. Except maybe car pooling in a MS.