TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S has the best Cost Per Mile Range than any other EV

Discussion in 'Model S' started by yobigd20, Sep 4, 2014.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

source: Why The Pricey Tesla Model S Is Actually A Great Value

pretty neat metric. Cost Per Mile of Range (CPMR). MSRP divided by range on a single charge. The 85kW Model S comes out as the best of all EVs whilst the BMW i3 is the worst, lol. I think this clearly speaks to the superior engineering and quality product by Tesla while also pointing out the crappy engineering and money hungry BMW folks. In other words, you're getting the 'most bang for your buck' with the Model S. yeey!!

screen cap from jalopnik:
    cpmr.png

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Wow, nice graph! Kudos to Tesla.

3. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Yes but a fully maxed out P85+ zooms up to $490!
    A base 60 is at 336, just above the Spark.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Disagree strongly. It is a poor metric.
    You are basically looking at which car shoves the most batteries in a car.

Deciding which car works best for a buyer depends upon driving habits.
    If you don't drive more than 50 miles a day, the Leaf has a much better price point.

Don't get me wrong, the Tesla Model S is a modern marvel! This particular ratio, without considering the users driving needs, is just junk.

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Well, it's one way to look at EV cost per mile, but clearly not the only way. It attempts to take a complex issue and reduce it to a simple graph. Obviously there are multiple factors that need to be considered, not just what is shown in that graph.

6. liuping

liuping Active Member

They did not take into account federal and state rebates ($10000 total in CA) which changes the chart dramatically for the lower price EVs like the leaf, which drops to 225 CPMR, while the Models only drops to 263.

The also use list prices, which for many other cars are not realistic, but for Tesla they are. A Leaf can be bought for $26755, which brings it CPMR to 199.

If you count sale tax (8.5% in San Deigo). The $26755 Leaf is 226 and the $79000 Model S is 285

The Model S is a great car and in a totally different league from a LEAF, but it's not even close to the LEAF in CPMR value, which I think is a silly measure anyway.

7. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

The Smart Fortwo Electric Drive is discounted (like some other cars, but not all on this list) typically in the MSRP-$3000 range.
    The chart could have been more "honest" if it ranked the actual cost to consumer.
    I got my Smart ED for $19K including taxes. It was $17K before tax, or "250" in the CPMR.

Another thing (for me anyway) is that most of the cars listed are effectively INFINITY because I can't buy them here in Canada.
    Oh, and the Leaf, Focus, i3 while all available in Canada, are not discounted by dealers, so are also way above my Smart ED in CPMR...

As the replies above state, the metric as chosen (list price) is useless IMHO.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

True, but every car bought from a dealer gets sold for a different price depending upon how much the salesperson can gouge the customer for.

9. NeedToDrive

NeedToDrive Member

+1
    Exactly what I was thinking. I was hoping to see some new data on life cycle cost over, say, a 5 yr or 10 year span.

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Cost per 'Mile Range'

vs

'Cost per Mile' Range.

Kind of a weird metric.
    --