Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Hydrogen Range Extender Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

i am starting a project on making a range extender on my tesla model S P85 to get an additional 650KM range i am doing this with a hydrogen fuel cell system this will just be a proof of concept first and afterwards i will make it look pretty;)

i have done this with other vehicles before like the Renault ZOE ZE, Renault Kangoo Z.E., Opel Ampera, and now i want to accomplish this with my own tesla model s

we have experience with hydrogen vehicles and electric vehicles our company builds and convert regular cars and vehicles to 100% electric vehicles and also hydrogen vehicles

for this project i will keep posting my progress and findings + pictures of the project during the whole project
if it takes a while before i post a new post its becouse i will do this in the late hours after work and not during work days its a side project

i will also try to get into the software and make it accept my range extender

for now i will start gathering all the components i need and get it off our shelf or order some additional parts.
after i have the components ready i will start making a fuel cell system and first testing if this system works as a energy recourse stand alone after this is finnished i will place it in the car to start connecting it and trying to make it work as a energy source or a range extender depends on what works best we will see

if you would also like to see the progress of the fuel cell system build i can also post these pictures our compeny does not have any secrets on it so sharing info and pictures is never a problem :)

f5Zjp

JkxsF

9sAzu

q9lRr

i think i will go for custom 5.5KG or 6 at 700 bar becouse this is smaller than the 350bar ones and as it looks like it now i think the trunk will go up 15cm so not higher than the back bumper but first i will be trying it with 1 tank 700 bar to test it if i can make it work and let the car accept the range extender this will be the biggest problem i gues

and i saw the problem with the pictures used the wrong site for uploading will fix it in an hour

I'm not a fan of hydrogen. But as a project I'm sure it will be an interesting challenge.

The Model S has the advantage that you have like 400 km range, so you very rarely would need to use hydrogen. You could even supercharge for the most part on long trips, saving the hydrogen for when you feel you need it. That means you don't need to have a hydrogen station near your house, and you don't consume hydrogen getting to/from the fueling station.

I assume you are going to use a fuel cell rather than power an engine to drive the front wheels mechanically or run a generator. Are you going to drive the front wheels or generate electricity to put back into the battery while driving to drive the rear? I understand the latter has been tried a few times unsuccessfully.

Last edited:
If you need a real range extender, you could use liquid MOH (Ohmasa Gas) as a perfect pure Hydrogen and Oxygen storage, to feed the Fuel Cell.

Ohmasa Gas Patent (2011)
http://www.patentsencyclopedia.com/app/20110139630#ixzz3LOxSiPwy
Video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUPE0Z9V82E

A 100L LNG bottle of liquid MOH (1bar /-178deg.C) will allow about 2,000 miles drive range.

You could even kick off the heavy Tesla battery - you'll need it no longer.

You can produce the MOH gas yourselves, out of water, in your garage, at a cost, close to zero, so no need of hydrogen refueling stations.
( But please note : You'll first need a LOT of preliminary R&D work and SAFETY TESTS ! )

Liquid MOH (Modified Oxygen-Hydrogen) Gas is 2.5 times denser than the liquid Hydrogen (167 vs 70 kg/m3).

Unlike the regular OH, MOH could be compressed over 700bar (OH EXPLODES over 2 bar !), liquefied at 1bar/-178deg.C (OH cannot be liquefied) and filled and stored for years in CNG / LNG bottles.

It is safe - cannot be ignited by a spark. No leakage and embrittlement observed as with the hydrogen .
MOH could be produced by a low-power (0.5Wh/L) water electrolysis, at a cost, 100 times lower than the hydrogen's retail price ($0.10/kg vs $10/kg).
MOH could be also burned as a direct-injection fuel in gas-converted gasoline IC engines in cars and power generators.
So you could also apply a simpler MOH-fueled ICE-Generator Hybrid (Toyota Prius) gas-electric propulsion option, instead of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell ( expensive, sophisticated, capricious, short-life ...)

You can also use your car's fuel cell as a power generator for power and heat supplying of your home.

Attachments

• HHO CELL LOGO.jpg
    HHO CELL LOGO.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 115
I assume you are going to use a fuel cell rather than power an engine to drive the front wheels mechanically or run a generator. Are you going to drive the front wheels or generate electricity to put back into the battery while driving to drive the rear? I understand the latter has been tried a few times unsuccessfully.

hello 2 possibilitys

1 powering the motor directly
2 deliviring power directly to the batterys while driving

If you need a real range extender, you could use liquid MOH (Ohmasa Gas) as a perfect pure Hydrogen and Oxygen storage, to feed the Fuel Cell.

Ohmasa Gas Patent (2011)
http://www.patentsencyclopedia.com/app/20110139630#ixzz3LOxSiPwy
Video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUPE0Z9V82E

A 100L LNG bottle of liquid MOH (1bar /-178deg.C) will allow about 2,000 miles drive range.

You could even kick off the heavy Tesla battery - you'll need it no longer.

You can produce the MOH gas yourselves, out of water, in your garage, at a cost, close to zero, so no need of hydrogen refueling stations.
( But please note : You'll first need a LOT of preliminary R&D work and SAFETY TESTS ! )

Liquid MOH (Modified Oxygen-Hydrogen) Gas is 2.5 times denser than the liquid Hydrogen (167 vs 70 kg/m3).

Unlike the regular OH, MOH could be compressed over 700bar (OH EXPLODES over 2 bar !), liquefied at 1bar/-178deg.C (OH cannot be liquefied) and filled and stored for years in CNG / LNG bottles.

It is safe - cannot be ignited by a spark. No leakage and embrittlement observed as with the hydrogen .
MOH could be produced by a low-power (0.5Wh/L) water electrolysis, at a cost, 100 times lower than the hydrogen's retail price ($0.10/kg vs $10/kg).
MOH could be also burned as a direct-injection fuel in gas-converted gasoline IC engines in cars and power generators.
So you could also apply a simpler MOH-fueled ICE-Generator Hybrid (Toyota Prius) gas-electric propulsion option, instead of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell ( expensive, sophisticated, capricious, short-life ...)

You can also use your car's fuel cell as a power generator for power and heat supplying of your home.

for this project i will use our own compressed hydrogen at 700 bar that we make with our own elektrolysers this is available for me

Oh, don't get me wrong...it's not that I don't find it interesting...just seems like an odd choice considering H2 station availability.
well thats correct but we are building 10 stations in the netherlads to start with they are done in the end of 2018 and i have a refuel station at my company where we normaly test 700 bar vehicles and 350 bar so i can refuel my car at the office and in some citys

I'm not a fan of hydrogen. But as a project I'm sure it will be an interesting challenge.

The Model S has the advantage that you have like 400 km range, so you very rarely would need to use hydrogen. You could even supercharge for the most part on long trips, saving the hydrogen for when you feel you need it. That means you don't need to have a hydrogen station near your house, and you don't consume hydrogen getting to/from the fueling station.
in my area there are not that many tesla charging stations so charging is annoying on long trips becouse the other chargers that are availble take 2 hours i dont have the patience to wait 2 hours and with this i can refuel in 3 min