TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S Indoor Car Cover -- Worth almost $400??

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by carrerascott, Feb 10, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

I searched and couldn't find a thread about the indoor cover -- saw some about the outdoor cover.

Tesla site has it for $350 Model S Indoor Car Cover Tesla Motors

But they add $19 shipping and $22.14 in tax for total of $391.14 (I guess for states with higher tax you're gonna be over $400).

How necessary are the front wheel vents for cooling? The plug flap for charging is nice. And it looks pretty darn good.

But $400?

8_grande.jpg 5_copy_grande.jpg 10_grande.jpg 7_grande.jpg 9_grande.jpg

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Never will any vehicle of mine see a cover...

Used one of the top of the line covers 20 years ago on a car I had .... and it created areas that basically marred the paint ....

No thanks! For me anyway.

3. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

That was my other question. Do they do more damage than good. Occasionally a bird gets in our garage and craps on the cars. But if the cover is going to scratch the paint (esp on my black car), obviously I won't get it...

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Was that cover on a car stored outside, Steve? I can see how a flapping cover could damage a car, but this is an indoor cover. I have one for the Roadster & have had no problems.

5. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Seems to have been photographed on a European model ... notice the amber turn signal hiding the power cover?

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Yes it was outdoors. Believe it or not, though the wind did cause some issues, the bigger issue was moisture.

But isn't an indoor cover an oxymoron ??

7. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Not really -- occasionally birds fly in and poop on our cars, our dogs go out there, kids, etc. Just a little extra protection. And it looks kinda badass to unveil it every once in a while. ;)

8. bonnie

So first ... no moisture issues with the indoor cover, since it is not waterproof. Nothing trapped. It's lined with a really nice fleecy interior, the outside is fabric, too.

An indoor car cover is not an oxymoron -- I only use it when I'm gone for extended periods of time. I washed my Roadster today, washed the car cover, and the Roadster is safely tucked away in the garage. I'm leaving for a couple of weeks tomorrow & when I come back, there will be no dust on my car, no little cat paw prints ... just a nice, shiny car waiting for me. (I throw sheets over the Prius when I'm not using it for the same reasons.)

(For those of you who worry about my pets ... two words: house sitter.)

9. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Bonnie do you have the Tesla Model S car cover at the beginning of this thread?

10. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Whoa....too much work if its your daily driver.

My solution:
    Kids.... Beat them
    Dogs... Beat them
    Birds... Pellet gun.

(It's a joke Bonnie:smile:)

11. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Wouldn't use it daily, more like Bonnie said, when it's sitting unused for more than a few days. I know I could get a cover from somewhere else for cheaper, but it wouldn't have Tesla's sweet logos. But $400 is a lot. Then again, it's a $102,000 car... ;)

12. bonnie

I have the Roadster version. It looks like it is the same material. Check the descriptions in the TM store.

13. steve841

steve841 Active Member

You've answered your own question young grasshopper! Get it.

14. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Mainly wondering if anyone else has gotten it, and if it's a high quality one. I'd certainly hope Tesla wouldn't sell a crappy one.

15. K Hall

K Hall Member

Hello Scott:

I purchased the outside cover and have used it once. It is very nice and does have a nice soft fleece as Bonnie stated on the underside. I made sure the car was clean before slipping it on and it did a great job protecting the $100 k car.

It looks great as well. I keep in stored in the frunk

K Hall

16. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I've never really purchased a car cover because I'm too lazy to put it on all the time.

But I just got a cover for my BBQ a couple of weeks ago and it was $60 for the nicer one that I ended up getting. $400 doesn't sound that odd to me for a fitted OEM car cover (with a Tesla Logo?) that is presumably very high quality. That said, if it wasn't high quality I'd be pissed to shell out that kinda money.

17. bbmertz

bbmertz Model S: P4909

I purchased the indoor car cover about a month ago and am very happy with it. It is expensive, but in my opinion it is a nice looking, high quality cover. It has soft fleecy material on the inside which is unlikely to scratch the paint unless your car has a lot of dirt on it before putting on the cover. The cover also has elastic on both ends, venting over the front grill and front wheels, and a very useful velcro flap over the charging port. I use the cover on a daily basis in my garage to protect my car from our cats who apparently enjoy putting as many paw prints as possible on black paint. It's easy to install in less than a minute -- my routine is to briefly dust off the car with one of those microfiber car "mops", roll the cover out over the car lengthwise beginning at the frunk, extend it over the side mirrors and then pull the elastic ends over back and front of the car. Let me know if you have any other questions.

18. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Thanks. I did order it. Of course I don't have a car for it yet...

19. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Pics of my car with the indoor cover. It is nice. The only concern I have is the mesh that covers the weeks isn't the softest, so have to be careful not to rub it across the paint when you put it on/take it off. Otherwise, it's a nice fit, and the charge port is a big plus.

20130310_203635_resized.jpg 20130310_203653_resized.jpg 20130310_203708_resized.jpg 20130310_203718_resized.jpg 20130310_204925_resized.jpg

20. auger

auger Member

I'm about to leave my car for a month, at least, so I'm thinking about getting an interior cover.

The lettering is a bit much for me, but in the picture, it looks like you may be able to peel the lettering off.

Does anyone know?