TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S: inspired by Aston Martin DB9?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MarcG, Mar 6, 2015.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I was toying around in Real Racing 3 on my iPad and noticed that the Aston Martin DB9 has an uncanny resemblance to my P85D - wishing the latter was available on the game to race :biggrin:

SideView.png

RearLeftView.png

FrontLeftView.png

RearRightView.png

2. skilly

skilly Member

even more obvious when you look at the white Model S test mule in Fremont...right down to even the wheel choice as compared to earlier DB9 options.

3. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

When in London last fall I managed to see only one Model S, but several times thought I had spotted a Model S, only to realize that it was one of those cheep knock-offs, err, I mean, a DB-9 :)
    In real life they look surprisingly similar.

4. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

They do share some common design DNA .. due to a certain Mr Henrik Fisker.

He designed the DB9 before moving to Tesla and coming up with the early designs for the Model S, but left under a cloud before 2008. The rest is history !

However, a lot of 'executive' saloons have very similar aerodynamic profiles. Below are side on shots of the prototype Model S vs Jaguar XF, DB9, Aston Rapide, and the fairly gorgeous Jaguar F-type.

Model S prototype vs Jags Astons.jpg

5. skilly

skilly Member

that XF looks like "one of these things is not like the other". Its boxy and better resembles a Ford Mondeo platform - the signature shape of the DB and Tesla are the hips and smooth profile transitioning into the rear. The XF has none of this....Funny, this really stems from a 60 year old design for which we can thank Ferdinand Porsche for with the beautiful 911 hips.

6. bluenation

bluenation Member

the S has obvious influence from jags and astons.

personally, i think the S ends up far better looking. im not a fan of those headlights and grills from the europeans.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

And that's a good thing.
    Agreed. Fortunately EVs do not require a large grille for air intake, so their front end can look even better.

8. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

Funny you mention this ... yesterday I walked past an Aston and just happened to glance at the rear wheels. The brake set-up for the parking brake second caliper looked exactly the same as the Tesla.

9. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

10. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

I've never liked that chrome strip near the vent/door on the sides of Aston Martin's. And the Rapide is just long and sleek, but has excess.

The Model S is just a cleaner/refined design, perfection from the other cars it's taken design cues from.

Also the Chrome on the side mirror is even with the window trim and attached very nicely.

11. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

I also like the look of the chrome bit connecting the side view mirrors to the Model S body, but I've had a couple of instances where the sun was just in the right position in the sky such that its reflection on the driver's side chrome was just blinding me...

12. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

In the game of "One of these things is not like the others," I would say "The one that's American."

Pretty remarkable that an American car company has built a car that compares favorably with some of Europe's most beautiful cars.

13. iadbound

iadbound Member

I'll gladly take a comparison to an Aston Martin -- only better, of course!

14. SarahsDad

SarahsDad Member