Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty neat. Used to have a Ford that had the numbers on the door and actually loved the feature in spite of the aesthetics. Could chuck the key into the car during a run and not have to carry it.

The question is... what song beat is your tap code set up for? :)

My latest Tesla project:

In the video, you can also see my dipped wheels, some of the chrome wrap, and my charging cable management scheme.
What a delightful video -- shows the reality of many projects: they start out as a "simple clever idea" and then have a way of swelling in complexity as you continue to bump into unanticipated surprises. Your persistence is admirable, and the outcome very elegant. Thanks for sharing -- hack on!

Pretty neat. Used to have a Ford that had the numbers on the door and actually loved the feature in spite of the aesthetics

For most of my cars, I used a center-off momentary toggle switch mounted, unobtrusively on an edge of the rear wheel opening. By a combination of up and down toggles, it would unlock the car, disable the alarm, and arm the ignition. Over time, I added features like holding the switch up after the last toggle to open the trunk. Or holding the switch down at any time to lock the car and roll up the windows. (I wish Tesla would re-enable the close the windows feature).

For my 2000 Boxster, I added a LOT of automatic convenience features (like Teslas now have) and a tiny transponder to my watch band that took care of opening the car...not unlike what the Tesla uses with an inductive antenna near the lower front windshield for opening the car with a dead keyfob battery.

I'm willing to work hard to be lazy.

Reactions: MP3Mike and JohnnyG
really cool project, and great video - thanks for sharing

...although when you got to the part explaining how the car's 7 antennas try to detect a moving fob, I was almost expecting your solution to be a Rube Goldberg-esque modification that physically moved your fob through the car... :)

...although when you got to the part explaining how the car's 7 antennas try to detect a moving fob, I was almost expecting your solution to be a Rube Goldberg-esque modification that physically moved your fob through the car... :)

I actually considered this …briefly.

I also could have used two electrically switched RF blockers …didn't do this either.

Nice project. I think this would be great when heading to outdorr adventures. I have had enough issues with drybags vs phones and smart fobs to contemplate not going kayaking on the weekends.

Thanks. Good points!

After living keyless for so long, I sort of forgot about dealing with these situations or forgetting where I left my keys or worrying about getting a keyfob wet or having my keys stolen or locking them in the car or....

I do carry a phone. So I'm not completely immune from these "inconveniences". Maybe a waterproof smartphone wristband would get me there.

I actually have an early android smart watch/phone combo sitting in a draw somewhere. It is supposed to be IP67 rated. However if the waterproof rating is as trustworthy as their OS coding, cant be trusted to even tell time .

Only issue would be the 240x240 screen .

I actually have an early android smart watch/phone combo sitting in a draw somewhere. It is supposed to be IP67 rated. However if the waterproof rating is as trustworthy as their OS coding, cant be trusted to even tell time .

Only issue would be the 240x240 screen .

My thinking on this would be something between the size of a 4" smart phone and a large watch. Sort of a (maybe even stylish) bracelet with most of the image quality and functionality of a full size smart phone.

If you don't care about the ugly factor, you can actually do this now with "soft" waterproof cell phone cases that can strap on your wrist or arm.

Way over my head but still very entertaining for sure.

This maybe a stupid question but could you hook-up a micro glass vibration sensor (glass break sensor) and make it possible to tap a sequence (like Morse code) on a window/windshield and have it do the same thing? Open and turn on with no key?

Thanks for posting this.

Bill

Reactions: Haxster
Way over my head but still very entertaining for sure.

This maybe a stupid question but could you hook-up a micro glass vibration sensor (glass break sensor) and make it possible to tap a sequence (like Morse code) on a window/windshield and have it do the same thing? Open and turn on with no key?

Thanks for posting this.

Bill
This is actually a very good suggestion. One that I hadn't considered.

My first approach was to use a pair of infrared transmitters/receivers behind one of the driver side windows (like the little triangular one by the front windshield). Unfortunately, the glass seems to block IR. Even if this worked, I was concerned about the effects of rain and dark gloves.

Tapping should be workable unless maybe someone is using a jack hammer nearby...or maybe the glove thing or really short fingernails.