Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Lowering Links Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All!

Looking to pull the trigger on a model S in the next few days. Before I finalize my order I would like to know what you guys think of the standard coilovers (non-adjustable) or the Magic Air Suspension. I am planning on lowering the car as the wheels gap does bother me alittle. Now the real questions for me is.. does lowering the car with lowering link void my warranty? and also will I lose significant loss in ride comfort with lowering links (any brand).

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sam.

As a person who loves the sporty look on vehicles, I'm not a fan of wheel gap. The Model S with the Air suspension gives you the ability to reduce the gap whereas the regular suspension does not, it is fixed...

I personally wanted a sportier look and as such I bought the Unplugged Performance Lowering Brackets. It is the premier product when thinking about lowering your vehicle. I had lowering links before, but too much adjustability caused me driving problems.

Using a "lowering link" will cause tesla concern, because every time you get your car into them and they hook it up to the machine, it will definitely show up on their radar as an aftermarket part. Each SC is different, I wouldn't say it would void your warranty, but it will cause issues.

THE UP brackets will cause less of an issue, because its just a bracket change out, again it is going to depend on each SC and their viewpoint on the modification.

The brackets are made of aluminum and are of better quality than the stock ones, the drop in each setting is about 1.25" - 1.3" inches....so in LOW mode, you're talking about very little wheel gap at all (if any)

As a person who loves the sporty look on vehicles, I'm not a fan of wheel gap. The Model S with the Air suspension gives you the ability to reduce the gap whereas the regular suspension does not, it is fixed...

I personally wanted a sportier look and as such I bought the Unplugged Performance Lowering Brackets. It is the premier product when thinking about lowering your vehicle. I had lowering links before, but too much adjustability caused me driving problems.

Using a "lowering link" will cause tesla concern, because every time you get your car into them and they hook it up to the machine, it will definitely show up on their radar as an aftermarket part. Each SC is different, I wouldn't say it would void your warranty, but it will cause issues.

THE UP brackets will cause less of an issue, because its just a bracket change out, again it is going to depend on each SC and their viewpoint on the modification.

The brackets are made of aluminum and are of better quality than the stock ones, the drop in each setting is about 1.25" - 1.3" inches....so in LOW mode, you're talking about very little wheel gap at all (if any)

How do these brackets affect cornering? I find the regular coil suspension is firm but allows some body roll in the corners which is not desirable and I'm looking to lower that roll. I'm just wondering if lowering the car is enough, or it needs stiffer suspension..?

How do these brackets affect cornering? I find the regular coil suspension is firm but allows some body roll in the corners which is not desirable and I'm looking to lower that roll. I'm just wondering if lowering the car is enough, or it needs stiffer suspension..?

These brackets are for use with air suspension. If you have coils, this wouldn't work...

If you have air suspension, the spring rate constant does not change, it is simply a function of vertical distance. So the car's natural ability to corner is not changed other than it is a little bit lower. I don't personally believe it needs a stiffer suspension, I would characterize the suspension to be likened to the Audi S8 type of vehicle, a low slung saloon with good all around handling.

Bracket only affects ride height, there is no "stiffening"

If you have coils, your best option would be to change them out to a stiffer coil.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
Get the air suspension. You can select 4 different ride heights.
Is there a driveway that you regularly scrape? Select a higher ride height and it will remember the setting for that location.

Get the adjustable links. You can fine adjust the height to your liking.
If after a month or so you find out you didn't lower it enough (or too much), you can adjust them. With brackets you have to replace brackets.
If you buy new tires (summer, winter set) that are a different height than your previous ones, again, you can adjust the height. With brackets you have to replace brackets.

I have these links on my car EVOLUTION LOWERING KITS | Airmatic Lowering Links

I never heard of a service center having an issue with lower links.
I have heard whenever a service center does suspension related work, they will reset the ride height to stock.
You could tell them to set the height to your desired level, or reinstall the original links before taking your car in and put the adjustable ones back on after the work is done.

Last edited: