Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S - Next Generation ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.We all know the MS came out back in 2012, which is already 5 years ago
The MS interior/exterior design is getting a bit outdated, and i'm pretty sure in the next 2-3 years the MS should be refreshed, with an all-new generation, like all car makers out there.
As the Model 3 will soon come out, the gigafactory is almost complete, I am sure they can focus with the MS to be a trully luxurious and very high-tech on the next generation

Do you think it is already in the works ?How do you think it will look inside and outside ? What kind of batteries and tech it will have ?

Let the games begin !!!

Hi.We all know the MS came out back in 2012, which is already 5 years ago
The MS interior/exterior design is getting a bit outdated, and i'm pretty sure in the next 2-3 years the MS should be refreshed, with an all-new generation, like all car makers out there.
As the Model 3 will soon come out, the gigafactory is almost complete, I am sure they can focus with the MS to be a trully luxurious and very high-tech on the next generation

Do you think it is already in the works ?How do you think it will look inside and outside ? What kind of batteries and tech it will have ?

Let the games begin !!!
Tesla has proven that they are not "like all car makers out there"

Most manufacturers will release a new model, leave it literally stagnant for 4-10 years and do a cosmetic refresh at some stage.

Contrast that that with Tesla who continuously update and improve their cars as they learn and improve.

Because of that continuous improvement there is not such an imperative to do a wholesale replacement in the way that other manufacturers do.

That said at some stage in the future it may be beneficial to do a ground up design to accommodate changes that can't be made without a change to the high level architecture. Just not sure that it needs to run on the same schedule as GM, Chrysler, et al

Reactions: pjoseph
Tesla has a lot of designs to complete in the next few years. They are going to be doing a pickup and a semi as well as an SUV version of the Model 3.

Tesla doesn't do things like standard car companies. The Model S is still modern enough, it blends in with many larger modern sedans on new car lots today. Between the two, I don't expect dramatic changes to the looks of the Model S for a while.

I do expect some changes to the interior in the next year or so. It's been one of the week parts of the design, and they need to do something to differentiate the S more from the 3. I expect the S interior will become more luxurious, or they might have a special luxurious interior package.

How do you guys know for sure they are not secretly working on the next generation of the MS (with main focus still on the M3) ?
Even tho they are constantly updating the MS, I still belive that in 7-8 years it really is time for an all-new version !
Much they have learned within these years and I'm sure there is A LOT to improve in it's design !
A gen 3 MS !

How do you guys know for sure they are not secretly working on the next generation of the MS (with main focus still on the M3) ?
Even tho they are constantly updating the MS, I still belive that in 7-8 years it really is time for an all-new version !
Much they have learned within these years and I'm sure there is A LOT to improve in it's design !
A gen 3 MS !

I can, in fact, guarantee you that they're working on the new generation of the Model S. It's still a great car, but they're going to have to step up the game if they don't want people switching en-mass to the Model 3. And that could kill the company. The Model S/X are the cash cows that are keeping the company afloat.

Tesla would be stupid to go to market with a really great (but initially unprofitable) Model 3 but with a somewhat stale S. And they're not stupid. If I had to guess, I expect that we're going to see a refresh of the S coinciding with the Model 3 reveal. And if I had to further guess, I think that they're not ready for it - and that that's why they've put-off the reveal of the 3 until July. They need S sales to keep rolling.

The interior of the S needs to be updated. And I'm sure that they've figured a lot of things out about how to manufacture the cars that would save costs in the next generation. And if there is, in fact, a HUD in the M3, then it will also need to be in the S/X.

I'm one of those people who spent far more on my S than any other car that I've ever owned. I'm now in a position to trade for a 100D - but I want to see what happens with the 3. I could consider a 3.

I wouldn't mind changes to the interior but hope they wait a while on the "refreshed" exterior. I liked the S exterior from day 1 except for the carbuncle in front, a.k.a, the nosecone, which has been successfully lanced. I'm not sure the refreshed S exterior is unique enough and appealing enough to become iconic like 911 Porsches but it might be.

Reactions: OBX John
Gotta be a facelifted S in the works, in alignment with the updated 3. X too I bet. Like the other person posted above, it would be stupid to have an outdated cash cow when a few tweaks here and there can offer an entirely new "experience" to buyers.

The Model S's closest competitor in many ways, the Audi A7, came out a couple of years before the MS and a full redesign is still another year or two out. If Tesla goes with a similar cycle, they have another 4 years or so before a redesign of the MS.

That said, and although I agree there's no pressing need to redesign the MS, I think it would be good to integrate the knowledge the company has gained in manufacturing the MS/MX and designing the Model 3 into a new MS. That should, at least in theory, help with initial quality issues and warranty costs that should motivate a redesign sooner than the market itself may demand.

• Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Obviously style is very subjective and the wide stance of the S seems to be a feature some people dislike. While the current battery pack space requirements may have been the principal factor in the extreme width, I think it is interesting to note that some of the most sought after used 911 Porsches are the 993 (1995-8) S and 4S models with their extremely wide JLo-like rears. If you follow one of those increasingly rare cars you might be reminded of the Tesla S' wide rear end. I imagine as battery pack size requirements change, Tesla may narrow the car, but I hope not. It's one exterior design feature that really distinguishes the S from other luxury sedans.

Last edited:
Obviously style is very subjective and the wide stance of the S seems to be a feature some people dislike. While the current battery pack space requirements may have been the principal factor in the extreme width, I think it is interesting to note that some of the most sought after used 911 Porsches are the 993 (1995-8) S and 4S models with their extremely wide JLo-like rears. If you follow one of those increasingly rare cars you might be reminded of the Tesla S' wide rear end. I imagine as battery pack size requirements change, Tesla may narrow the car, but I hope not. It's one exterior design feature that really distinguishes the S from other luxury sedans.

Isn't the M3 only about 3 inches narrower? It seems to me unlikely that MS II would be narrower than the current car. I like the wide stance.

There still a chance there will be some revisions to the model S coming out of the shutdown. Tesla knew that demand growth would probably be tough leading up to the M3 release.

Reactions: RobStark
Model 3 will look like a spaceship compared to the aging Model S, and even the recent Model X which adopted many of its siblings bits. I'm pretty confident that we will see a completely updated Model S, with new exterior and interior designs, by the end of 2018. If they don't, there will be very little incentive for consumers to purchase the much higher priced, higher margin vehicle. Tesla's recent hire of Volvo's interior design chief says a lot, I believe Model S and Model X will receive a major interior overhaul including two or three smaller touch screens. For cost reasons, I believe Tesla will standardize all of its vehicles on the touch screen configuration in Model 3, which will be a smaller landscape oriented screen. Tesla will put two or three of those in their higher end vehicles, which would allow larger quantities of scale and cheaper prices to Tesla.

My next car will be a Model 3, hopefully later this year or early next. If business is good, I will also spring for a Model S after it gets a redesign. There are so many areas for improvement that it's simply a matter of time. Tesla likely already has this in their R&D labs as a major demand lever after Model 3 ships.

• Disagree
I dont know, I'm not sure which cars interiors you find to be "more modern" than the current Model S. To me coming from Audi and BMW, I find the interior design to be quite nice and refreshingly different. Sure the doors could be padded better with softer feel, the center console is of poor quality, and the overall "practicality" of the interior could be improved.

But its ALL about the touch screen experience and it absolutely trounces any other cars interface I've tried. Audi's MMI is still slow as hell, has way too many buttons and takes forever to boot up cold, BMW's interface isn't winning many friends and is still on "catch up" mode. The overall Ipad like user experience of the Tesla is still way ahead of the competition IMO, so why change anything?

Improve the software, bring in more apps, bring in better nav features, some more UI options and customization, and fix the minor issues at hand (coat hangers, vanity lights, padding etc) and you will end up with a car that is leagues ahead of anything out there right now "overall experience" wise.

I still feel folks pick on too many specifics and miss the bigger picture of the experience. Yes the little things do matter and over time need to be resolved, but day to day usage, I find the car a LOT easier to use than any luxury car I've owned so far.

Reactions: Doubletap67
It's coming in about a year give it time. I know if Tesla updates the interior I will be upgrading.
Hopefully they dont do a major redesign of the car that makes it look horrible like some other manufactures MHHHMMHNISSAN,CADILLACMHHHHH....
2015-Cadillac-Escalade-vs-2013-Escalade.jpg

2016-nissan-altima-vs-2015-nissan-altima.jpg

The model S has a beautiful and classic design that still looks fantastic to me.

Do not feel that there is a huge benefit in changing that basic flowing design, similar to Aston Martin.

I imagine that there will be running changes as they come up with better things. Lighting, wheels, bumpers, interiors, seats, display, sound systems, HVAC, air filtering etc.

They will also make running changes to make the body quieter and of closer tolerances.

Might see a panorama windshield sometime in the future, but that basic body style is somewhat timeless.

I dont know, I'm not sure which cars interiors you find to be "more modern" than the current Model S. To me coming from Audi and BMW, I find the interior design to be quite nice and refreshingly different. Sure the doors could be padded better with softer feel, the center console is of poor quality, and the overall "practicality" of the interior could be improved.

But its ALL about the touch screen experience and it absolutely trounces any other cars interface I've tried. Audi's MMI is still slow as hell, has way too many buttons and takes forever to boot up cold, BMW's interface isn't winning many friends and is still on "catch up" mode. The overall Ipad like user experience of the Tesla is still way ahead of the competition IMO, so why change anything?

Improve the software, bring in more apps, bring in better nav features, some more UI options and customization, and fix the minor issues at hand (coat hangers, vanity lights, padding etc) and you will end up with a car that is leagues ahead of anything out there right now "overall experience" wise.

I still feel folks pick on too many specifics and miss the bigger picture of the experience. Yes the little things do matter and over time need to be resolved, but day to day usage, I find the car a LOT easier to use than any luxury car I've owned so far.
+1

Not long after the Model 3 production ramps up, the Model 3 will become the cash cow for Tesla. Tesla currently makes about $20K per Model S, and probably about the same per Model X. They built just shy of 80K last year and plan to build 50K in the first half of this year. If they make 100K this year, that's $2 billion gross profit. If the Model 3 only makes $4K per car and they initially build 500K a year, that's the same $2 billion gross profit.

The gross margin for the Model 3 will probably be more than that which means even at the early volumes they are targeting, the Model 3's gross profits will be bigger than the S/X products in a relatively short time. The tricky bit is the first year or so when Model 3 production is ramping up and demand for the S is a question mark.

There is little need for much of an exterior update of the Model S. It has the lines of most modern sedans. The interior needs a bit more to silence the critics, but I think it's fine. But then I've never been a fan of the over luxurious interiors found on other $100K cars.

I also don't think the 3 will have a HUD. Elon has said that all new tech will be introduced on the S/X first and then once it's proven, it will be ported to the 3. In the last few months we have seen AP2 hardware and the 100 KWh battery with the battery cooling system for the 3 introduced into the S/X line. There is no HUD for the S/X, so it won't be on the 3 initially.

Tesla may introduce a HUD for the S/X about the time the 3 comes out with plans to introduce it to the 3 in a couple of years.

What I think it likely to happen is the S's exterior will change very little for some time to come. The whole thing restyling cars every few years is just a fashion thing and really isn't necessary unless technology or regulation changes force a redesign. The original VW Beetle changed very little from it's introduction before WW II until it ended production in the (I think 1980s). I know it became impossible to sell in the US in the 1970s due to new safety regulations.

This drive to redesign the exterior is kind of like a kid wanting the new toy simply because it's the newer than the one they have. Unless there are some new government regulations that require design changes, or there is some kind of breakthrough in aerodynamics that make a redesign an engineering necessity (neither likely IMO), there really is no need for an exterior redesign other than to please the fashion police.

As I said above, I think the interior could use some tweaks to make it more useful, but it doesn't need to be more luxurious.

What I predict will happen is about the time the Model 3 is introduced Tesla will make some changes to the S to add some new tech like a HUD and maybe some other gadgets. They may introduce a premium interior available with a fairly hefty upgrade price like $10K and then drop the price of the current interior car about $10K. This will make the S a bit more affordable and might entice some Model 3 buyers waiting in line to jump into a Model S instead, keeping Model S demand up.

I also expect they will be gauging the sales of the small pack Model S as the Model 3 rolls out and if demand drops sharp enough, they might discontinue the smaller battery version, or at least the software limited 60. A lot depends on how different the upper end 3 buyers think that is from the lower end S.

Reactions: MikeBur
New features introduced in the Model 3 are more likely going to be due to cost reductions than in providing functionality not present in the S or X. HUD should be less expensive than having a high resolution display for the dashboard.

IMO They really need to refresh the Model S, they need an all new generation, they learned a lot and tech has improved a lot since they first released it back in 2012.
Also, new electric vehicles are coming out, and they need to make a step forward
It happens that the Lucid Air has a very bad-ass, futuristic design : http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/50/980x490/landscape-1481813483-screen-shot-2016-12-15-at-95053-am.png
Tesla has to get the game a step forward again

The only one reason that they are not telling us anything about the works of the new generation and it's keeping it a SECRET is because they don't want the MS sales to stop because of people wanting to get the all-new generation that is coming in the next 2 years !

Mark my words guys, an all-new gen MS is in the works as we speak, and it will be BAD-ASS !

• Disagree