TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S OBD2/CAN adapter cable (Pre-Sept 2015)

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by Chris TX, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Tesla Model S OBD2/CAN adapter cable (Pre-Sept 2015)

*** PRE-SEPTEMBER 2015 CARS ONLY ***

OBD2/CAN adapter cable that allows you to talk to CAN bus 3 on the Model S. You would use this cable to connect a supported OBD2/CAN reader (ELM327, Blue Tooth, Wifi, Serial, USB, etc). The cable is 3ft long and is internally shielded for more accurate data If you want it shorter than 3ft, please include the desired length in a note with the purchase.

Popular apps to use this cable include the amazing TM-Spy (iOS app is coming):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.TMSpy

Tons of other OBD2/CAN apps are out there, and not much information is given about the car through the car's "normal" OBD2 port under the dash. With a slight pull down of the cubby shelf, you can access the same OBD2/CAN port the Service Center uses all the time. Only pull the front of the shelf down, until you can reach your hand back and grab the cable. The port will pull from the left and you connect this adapter to it, along with the OBD2/CAN reader.

Please contact me with any questions.

Thanks!

List Date: 3/10/2016

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Tesla Model S OBD2/CAN adapter cable (Pre-Sept 2015)
    --------------------------------------
    On Sale For: $20.00

buynowbutton.png
    --------------------------------------
    e62f873e-dc5d-43c3-a9e9-a6bb59b0661e.jpg
    770dcda3-f266-41a6-bc10-54333be39706.jpg

2. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

Do you mean pre Sept 2014?

3. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Nope. Tesla changed the OBD/CAN connector behind the cubby around Sept 2015. Everything after that date, including the Model X, uses a newer Sumitomo connector which is different. I'm sourcing those newer connectors and will make the cables with them, soon.

4. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Quick, take my money! Thanks for doing these Chris. I jus ran out of time making one of these tonight. Did it the first time forgetting to mirror the ODBII pin layout and so its gonna be a week anyway now, so why buy more bits and have the aggravation... :)

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Can you tell us more about the apps available for this data cable? Thanks

6. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I've been using TM-Spy as a tester right now. Here's a thread that shows screen shots and all the development happening. I've also used the old standby, Torque to give some data. When I have some time, I might play with some VBox-like apps to do performance numbers.

7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

All sold, but more parts are on the way. I'm still having a helluva time trying to source the connectors for the 9/2015+ cars. If I could get 50 pre-orders, I'd be able to swing it.

8. Roadrunner13

Roadrunner13 Member

Just ordered one for model S. Cheaper than trying to order the parts and have it shipped here to Canada :)
    Hope you can fulfill the order soon. Thanks!

9. satoshi

satoshi Electrical Engineering Student

With this OBD2 converter... you can get diagnostics/read faults?

10. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

This only connects to CAN bus 3. If there are diagnostic or fault messages being broadcast on that bus, then yes. It all depends on the software you're using.

11. Marcboy

Marcboy Member

I just ordered one, but reading the thread, not sure if you still have some.

12. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Just got a new delivery of parts, today. Yours ships by the weekend. Thanks!