Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S OEM Mud Flaps Suck!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a dumb design. As you can see they are about 1/2" off the ground so every small dip you wear them out with an accompanying scraping sound. Notice how they are just under the car and do not prevent crud from being thrown back by the wheel higher up. The wheel sticks out farther than the well well so they definitely need to go up higher along the wheel well to prevent this. I would say their effectiveness is about 10% and that is being generous. Definately do not recommend, really need some better designed after market ones to hit the shelves.

IMG_0001.jpg

What a dumb design. As you can see they are about 1/2" off the ground so every small dip you wear them out with an accompanying scraping sound. Notice how they are just under the car and do not prevent crud from being thrown back by the wheel higher up. The wheel sticks out farther than the well well so they definitely need to go up higher along the wheel well to prevent this. I would say their effectiveness is about 10% and that is being generous. Definately do not recommend, really need some better designed after market ones to hit the shelves.

View attachment 796766
Also don’t be surprised if one goes missing, those push pins they provided will eventually fall out. Seen multiple members lose some of theirs already. Design is trash for sure.

View attachment 796766

You should be reading the Refresh Mudflaps thread. Most people cut an inch or more off. Especially if you run your car on low. Car rides much better on medium and lowers on the highway over 55 mph anyway. To many things to scrap on low, not just mudflaps. On medium the suspension has more shock absorber range.

I run mine on medium and cut one inch off. They go over speed bumps with no scraping.

I agree they don’t go out enough, but I was surprised how well they do. See my photos in this post.

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

Reactions: chrisdh79
I trimmed 3/4” from mine using a pair of household scissors. The flap is soft rubber and easily cut.

Have not noticed any scrapes. Personally I’d rather have them shipped a little too long and easily cut away - the current situation - rather than too short.

I separately posted clearances:

Reactions: chrisdh79 and Email