TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Model S P85 BRAKE PADS?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jpballer88, May 3, 2018.

1. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member

My front pads are getting worn to the point they are squealing. Not much meat left on them. Currently at 62K miles. Not a bad run for some aggressive driving.

Tesla wants about 300$ for a set for the front.

Anyone purchase aftermarket pads or the same pads for less from somewhere other than tesla? Thanks.

2. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member

Bump!

My front pads are getting very low, to the point they are whistling to inform me it's due for a change.

Any suggestions or pads that you guys have used and work great? Last resort is buying the 300$ tesla ones.

3. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

My pads have always been loud, I'd like a quieter set of aftermarkets if anyone does have suggestions.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

They are the same Brembo calipers/pads that are on dozens of other cars. There are many, many options out there for pads.

5. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

Try Tirerack.com to see their options and pricing.

6. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Active Member

I just bought a set from AutoZone, they had them in stock for about $80. Online shows they carry $27 version, but I didn't think I wanted those anyway.

I have 123,000 miles on my original pads. They're not squealing yet, but rather thin.

• Helpful x 1
  7. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member

Did you install them? How are they? Noise and stopping distance wise?

8. Yaro

Yaro Member

Do you have a picture of what they look like? Wagner brake pads for the front are like $84..

9. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Active Member

I have not installed them yet. The retaining pins are frozen. I'm expecting it's going to be like the parking brake setup: I cut the pins to separate the 2 halves of the caliper and drilled out the pins. The end with the tapered sleeve came loose, but the small diameter stepped end was immobile. Of course with the parking brake, I didn't have to deal with brake fluid and bleeding after; this is gonna get messy.
    I'll have to get "pin and spring" sets from Tesla, I think they're $30 or $40 each caliper; so this is turning into a $150 job instead of $80.

They are Duralast. I'm really not picky about brake pads, I rarely use them as you can tell from my mileage.
    20180517_151241[1].jpg

10. Yaro

Yaro Member

I can get these for $84 for the front set. Wagner brand, never heard of it though.

11. Zextraterrestrial

I don't think you should need to deal with fluid and bleeding after putting in new pads. It is a pretty simple job...at least on the last car I put new pads on it took < 10 minutes per wheel

12. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member

Update:

My brother works at GM so I ended up getting Brembo pads (22907156) for 160$ after employee discounts. Popped the suckers in under an hour and we are good to go!

Just pushed the calipers back in gently and slid the new pads in. Pumped brakes a few times before driving and no more squeal and don't have to press the brake pedal in as much like before.

13. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

These?
    https://www.amazon.com/General-Motors-22907156-Disc-Brake/dp/B00M38P8EK

14. Jpballer88

Jpballer88 Member