Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85 BRAKE PADS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My front pads are getting worn to the point they are squealing. Not much meat left on them. Currently at 62K miles. Not a bad run for some aggressive driving.

Tesla wants about 300$ for a set for the front.

Anyone purchase aftermarket pads or the same pads for less from somewhere other than tesla? Thanks.

I have not installed them yet. The retaining pins are frozen. I'm expecting it's going to be like the parking brake setup: I cut the pins to separate the 2 halves of the caliper and drilled out the pins. The end with the tapered sleeve came loose, but the small diameter stepped end was immobile. Of course with the parking brake, I didn't have to deal with brake fluid and bleeding after; this is gonna get messy.
I'll have to get "pin and spring" sets from Tesla, I think they're $30 or $40 each caliper; so this is turning into a $150 job instead of $80.

They are Duralast. I'm really not picky about brake pads, I rarely use them as you can tell from my mileage.
20180517_151241[1].jpg

I have not installed them yet. The retaining pins are frozen. I'm expecting it's going to be like the parking brake setup: I cut the pins to separate the 2 halves of the caliper and drilled out the pins. The end with the tapered sleeve came loose, but the small diameter stepped end was immobile. Of course with the parking brake, I didn't have to deal with brake fluid and bleeding after; this is gonna get messy.
I'll have to get "pin and spring" sets from Tesla, I think they're $30 or $40 each caliper; so this is turning into a $150 job instead of $80.

They are Duralast. I'm really not picky about brake pads, I rarely use them as you can tell from my mileage.
View attachment 301838
I can get these for $84 for the front set. Wagner brand, never heard of it though.

Update:

My brother works at GM so I ended up getting Brembo pads (22907156) for 160$ after employee discounts. Popped the suckers in under an hour and we are good to go!

Just pushed the calipers back in gently and slid the new pads in. Pumped brakes a few times before driving and no more squeal and don't have to press the brake pedal in as much like before.

View attachment 301838
Do you know is this rotor brake pad with "ears" valid to s85 270Kw Model S ( not S85P) ?
Some catalog ( brembo for example) show pad withour "ears"

Last edited:
Do you know is this rotor brake pad with "ears" valid to s85 270Kw Model S ( not S85P) ?
Some catalog ( brembo for example) show pad withour "ears"
Mine is not a P85 either. They went on and function fine. The ears make it easy to spread the calipers. (I've since changed the front rotors.)

I never updated here after changing them. In the front calipers, it was the sleeve end of the pins that were stuck so all I had to do was take apart the 2 halves of the caliper; no drilling required.

Some homework, if others find useful. I was looking for HP1000 Ferodo, which GM's 22907156 pads are stamped with. So, ordered those and got no hardware. One of my retainer springs is gone. Tesla shows 6008115-00-A ( https://epc.teslamotors.com ). For GM compatible, going from the pads, to caliper 92244288 will get you to 18K1971X as the (Amazon sister) part number, for the springs and pins.

I wanted the original bite, of Tesla's pads. I cannot yet vouch for the above. Amazon doesn't show cross compatibility for a lot of Tesla's parts, but it looks like these will work. Among the GM cars that were fitted with them, the Camaro SS, of 2010-2015, was one. On some GM cars, multiple applications existed.

Correction. "going from the pads, to caliper 92244288 will get you to 18K1971X as the (Amazon sister) part number, for the springs and pins. " That quote got me a hardware set, whose retainers work, but whose pins are too short for the Tesla caliper (I re-used OE, and only needed the retainers anyway). The GM caliper must fit the pads, but possibly goes onto a rotor of narrower thickness. Anyway, I'd delete 18K1971X from above, but can't.