Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1/4 Mile World Record vs Hellcat....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a hoot! He basically says don't race any car that will beat you including the P85 and P85D. Wisdom at it's best:)

As I mentioned in the other thread on this video, what I like is the way he starts with a rant about how stupid owners are being and how unfair the drag race video was when they know the Hellcat is actually faster and that's why he's giving these rules - and then ends it with don't race a P85 or P85D because you'll lose.
Walter

Make fun all you want but for a 700Hp Monster like the hellcat at just over $40K is a LOT of bang/$$. One drivers inexperience does not a trend make. And really it's not that HARD to handle that much power in an ICE car.

uh....$40K? Where? Ill buy two for that price thank you...in fact, a full load Hellcat runs up and flirts with $70K and then tack on another $20K premium for even getting access to one...and thats only if you know people. Its very close to P85D costs - dont kid yourself.

Ten-second Challenger Hellcat is ready for a P85D rematch

As interested outsider, I am hoping the Tesla can keep the pride up for model s owners come the exciting rematch :smile:

Any thoughts on road legal drag radials being used on the hellcat... does that spoil the fun?

Is the P85D? traction limited in any way at all , sticky rubber must be worth a few tenths! and the promised 0.1 0-60 reduction via over the air update what is that worth over a 1-4 mile?!

What ever happens hope the record of 11.6 gets beaten!

Has anyone put racing slicks on a P85D? I understand that the P85D with stock tires doesn't appear to lose traction on hard acceration, so the assumption is that stickier tires won't help. But I'm wondering if that's the super fast responding traction control at work.

Has anyone put racing slicks on a P85D? I understand that the P85D with stock tires doesn't appear to lose traction on hard acceration, so the assumption is that stickier tires won't help. But I'm wondering if that's the super fast responding traction control at work.
Yes, good question. I've always wondered this, if you put drag radials on the P85D whether or not you could get a better 0-60 time.

Last edited:
the P85D doesn't spin off the line, so sticky tires would not help... the P85D could be quicker on the stock 19's since they might be lighter.... I think the difference would be pretty small though...

Yes, good question. I've always wondered this, if you put drag radials on the P85D whether or not you could get a better 0-60 time.

the P85D doesn't spin off the line, so sticky tires would not help... the P85D could be quicker on the stock 19's since they might be lighter.... I think the difference would be pretty small though...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the P85D doesn't really spin noticeably at any time, including when on wet roads. That being the case, what makes you confident the traction control isn't silently pulling back power on street tires on dry roads? How would you tell?

It's not a cheap experiment, but for people who have the money for a P85D spending extra for another set of rims and racing tires might be worth trying to find out.
Walter

Yes, but I was wondering if that was just the traction control working, so I'm guessing aP85D would spin but the stability control takes over. I saw a vid of someone pulling out that traction fuse on a p85 and he spun the heck outta his tires.
(Just read the post above) I was thinking the same thing, it wouldn't be cheap but some Nitto 555Rs on a P85D drag racing would be a sick sight.

when the tires spin, even the slightest, the traction control light blinks on the display... this is pretty easy to replicate when you accelerate around a corner in the P85D...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the P85D doesn't really spin noticeably at any time, including when on wet roads. That being the case, what makes you confident the traction control isn't silently pulling back power on street tires on dry roads? How would you tell?

It's not a cheap experiment, but for people who have the money for a P85D spending extra for another set of rims and racing tires might be worth trying to find out.
Walter

when the tires spin, even the slightest, the traction control light blinks on the display... this is pretty easy to replicate when you accelerate around a corner in the P85D...

Huh. I have no personal experience with the car. The thing that confuses me here is this:

If the car isn't pulling back power during launches and isn't spinning, why is it that people report they can easily spin the wheels when they disable traction control?

Unless I'm confused - I'm pretty sure I saw several reports of being able to break wheels loose on dry pavement in a straight line with TC off a while back.

I know I've seen videos of forcing a P85 to spin while holding it with the brakes, and the D should be able to deliver the same rear wheel torque...
Walter