Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85D vs P85 Energy Consumption Test...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When comparing these results you should also use same tires - everyone is now running with brand-new tires which may not have optimal rolling resistance compared to the used ones.

Yep, absolutely. That was one factor I was unable to control for.

Looking forward to a back-to-back test with a P85D and a P85+ with the same tires.

Anyone got access to both cars? Let's see some more data!

Tires can have a substantial effect. In this thread http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/39681-Reduced-Wh-Mi-after-new-tires users are reporting big changes after changing tires (even same tire and pressure). Finding a P85 and a P85D with the same tires is not easy, but hope there are someone out there who can.

Almost impossible unless the P85 has just put new tires on as you want them the same or close to the same manufacturing date. If that's not possible, four runs. One pair of runs with each car leading, then swap wheels and tires, then a second pair of runs with each car leading.

Almost impossible unless the P85 has just put new tires on as you want them the same or close to the same manufacturing date. If that's not possible, four runs. One pair of runs with each car leading, then swap wheels and tires, then a second pair of runs with each car leading.

Certainly valid and the proper science, but that seems like overkill to get to the threshold of generally applicable info.

When I see data indicating it is difficult to get under 380 Wh/mi in normal highway driving with the P85D, that has me concerned. But if a F/W update, or 19" tires or both got the P85D consumption in moderate highway driving down to 330 Wh/mi, I would not worry that this is still a few percent more than typical P85 behaviour. It would be at least in the ballpark, and not likely to affect long-distance trip planning.