Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Plaid 21" Rear Inner Tire Defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone, I should've posted this a while back but I've been slacking 😀. Anyway, I'm down $2,000 in tire replacements with less than 25,000 in my Tesla Model S Plaid. See below for more details.

I have a Tesla Model S Plaid with rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I've had three (3) flat tires beginning April through December 2022.

Tire Size: 295/30ZR21 (102Y)

I've replaced the rear RH passenger side tire twice now. So I'm on my third tire. First tire replaced on 4/5/2022 at 11,215 miles. Then again 8 months later on 12/28/22 at 20,402 miles.
The rear LH driver side was replaced at 15,125 on 8/7/2022.

I am a gentle driver and drive on city streets primarily. I keep my driving settings in Chill mode with comfort suspension. I have maintained proper air pressure as called for at 40 psi. I attached photos of the tire ripped and a screenshot of what the Tesla service center had to say when I brought up my concern.

have you been dealing with the same problem? Are there other tires I can use next time this happens? Is there anything we can do? Have you filed a warranty claim with Michelin?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230226_205711_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230226_205711_Tesla.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 20221228_115839.jpg
    20221228_115839.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 437
  • 20221228_115626.jpg
    20221228_115626.jpg
    725.9 KB · Views: 293
  • 20221228_115715.jpg
    20221228_115715.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 20221228_115835.jpg
    20221228_115835.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 20221228_115837.jpg
    20221228_115837.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Do a search. As Tdriver says, multiple threads on this issue. Consensus is that you don’t have a defective tire issue, you have a flawed Tesla suspension design issue.
Not at all, the suspension design is exceedingly good. But wheel alignment specs from Tesla are bad. Set to minimum spec at low ride height. Many Tesla SC will not do that for you. Some alignment shops will not get it right.

Hi Everyone, I should've posted this a while back but I've been slacking 😀. Anyway, I'm down $2,000 in tire replacements with less than 25,000 in my Tesla Model S Plaid. See below for more details.

I have a Tesla Model S Plaid with rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I've had three (3) flat tires beginning April through December 2022.

Tire Size: 295/30ZR21 (102Y)

I've replaced the rear RH passenger side tire twice now. So I'm on my third tire. First tire replaced on 4/5/2022 at 11,215 miles. Then again 8 months later on 12/28/22 at 20,402 miles.
The rear LH driver side was replaced at 15,125 on 8/7/2022.

I am a gentle driver and drive on city streets primarily. I keep my driving settings in Chill mode with comfort suspension. I have maintained proper air pressure as called for at 40 psi. I attached photos of the tire ripped and a screenshot of what the Tesla service center had to say when I brought up my concern.

have you been dealing with the same problem? Are there other tires I can use next time this happens? Is there anything we can do? Have you filed a warranty claim with Michelin?
It's not a defect, your alignment is out of whack.

Not at all, the suspension design is exceedingly good. But wheel alignment specs from Tesla are bad. Set to minimum spec at low ride height. Many Tesla SC will not do that for you. Some alignment shops will not get it right.
Please explain what you mean by "Set to minimum spec at low ride" . If possible please provide instructions. Thanks

Please explain what you mean by "Set to minimum spec at low ride" . If possible please provide instructions. Thanks
Look at the Tesla specs, use the ones closest to zero. Be sure the car is set to its lowest ride height.

Inner tire wear is mostly from the toe in which Tesla sets way too much and somewhat because of the excessive camber.

• Disagree
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Reactions: Nickos
Disagree with many posts above because there have been ZERO tread/sidewall failures with the Pirelli OEM tires, yet it is very common with the Michelin, all on the Plaids MS.

Please visit the much longer thread for full details, and file a claim with Michelin for reimbursement of your absurdly high tire replacement costs….

Disagree with many posts above because there have been ZERO tread/sidewall failures with the Pirelli OEM tires, yet it is very common with the Michelin, all on the Plaids MS.

Please visit the much longer thread for full details, and file a claim with Michelin for reimbursement of your absurdly high tire replacement costs….
Replacing my tires again on my 2021 model S. The rear tires literally have the tread disconnect from the side wall. The front tires get a bubble. These Michelin Pilots are garbage.

That’s because there is no OEM 21” Pirelli tire on the Refresh S. They are all Michelin PS4.

I went with the Macsboost camber kit and at this number of miles on my new tires, the inner area would have already been halfway worn out. So far they look like new. For less than a $400 investment (the kit and alignment), I am looking at a very good return on my investment.

I couldn't see investing more if the cheaper/simpler option would get me to where I needed to be. I'd always have the option of spending for adjustable camber arms if absolutely needed.

Reactions: Sam1