Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Plaid may be required to use a parachute and roll bar when racing in drag strips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rules as described in the video seem stupid. It makes perfect sense to be concerned about stopping distances, but they shouldn't care how you do it. Those might be the rules, but they're stupid rules.

Instead of faster than x = parachute required, the rule should be "must be capable of coming to a complete stop within xxx ft at max speed".

I have no idea if the plad model S would be able to stop fast enough in stock configuration. But if it can't then it isn't safe and it shouldn't be allowed without modification. But a slow as a snail Prius shouldn't be allowed either if its brakes can't stop it fast enough.

Last edited:
It's going to depend on the track in these situations where stock cars are too fast. Some places won't care and will let you go nuts. Other places won't even let you pull up to the lights. My local track will just tell you to run the eighth then let out.

Reactions: SSedan
The rules as described in the video seem stupid. It makes perfect sense to be concerned about stopping distances, but they shouldn't care how you do it. Those might be the rules, but they're stupid rules.

Instead of faster than x = parachute required, the rule should be "must be capable of coming to a complete stop within xxx ft at max speed".

I have no idea if the plad model S would be able to stop fast enough in stock configuration. But if it can't then it isn't safe and it shouldn't be allowed without modification. But a slow as a snail Prius shouldn't be allowed either if its brakes can't stop it fast enough.
Couldn’t agree more, some cars are fast as balls but have great stopping power, some cars aren’t as fast but also don’t have Great stopping power. Strange way to gauge which cars need a parachute.

The rules have been evolving in the past couple years to accommodate faster street cars. Roll bar requirement for 2008 or newer factory stock cars recently changed from 10.99 to 9.99 seconds. I expect further tweaking, but also expect some tracks are just not gonna accept the liability. 8s at 150+ is crazy fast, and remember this is the same car that randomly experiences fun things like catastrophic control arm failures and the like.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and zecar
The chute is about having a second option ,system redundancy when dealing with so energy is a good idea.
Another thing that needs to be considered is barriers to contain an out of control car.
Think about whay it takes to stop 5000lbs at 150mph, most cars that fast are much much lighter, often a literal ton lighter.

Some of you really need to wrap your head around the fact that we prepare for the worst. Even if it is the car in the other lane that crosses and causes you to crash, the barriers still need to contain things.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and RabidYak
Will Tesla or aftermarket sell a kit to turn any Model S into a Plaid or better. Maybe I want to turn an old Model S into an 8 second car If the aftermarket can make the Dodge Challenger into an 8.77 second car in the quarter at 161 mph. Why can't Tesla or the aftermarket come up with something.
Tesla, nor any other first party manufacturer, is in the business of making old cars as cool as new ones.

Aftermarket? Sure. Already companies out there tuning Teslas. That industry will continue to evolve.

Regen is probably pretty significant in a trimotor. What happens in the current S if regen is active and the foot is lifted at 150mph?
Not much. Sure, 50-70kw of drag is not insignificant, but it’s not gonna contribute a ton if the objective is to stop a 5,000 pound slug going 150mph by the end of a drag strip runoff zone.

Though I agree, a tri-motor setup could in theory be set up to allow higher levels of regen, provided the inverter and battery can support it.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
Will Tesla or aftermarket sell a kit to turn any Model S into a Plaid or better. Maybe I want to turn an old Model S into an 8 second car If the aftermarket can make the Dodge Challenger into an 8.77 second car in the quarter at 161 mph. Why can't Tesla or the aftermarket come up with something.
If you’re looking for ultra fast, get yourself a Nissan GT-R and upgrade it with the AMS Alpha Omega package.
0-60 in 1.49
0-100 in 2.78
Quarter mile in 7.48 at 193 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
Regen is probably pretty significant in a trimotor. What happens in the current S if regen is active and the foot is lifted at 150mph?
First @ucmndd covered the answer well.

Second, have you not noticed the perceived impact of regen is less at 80mph than 60mph? Have you never watched the regen level?

They keep it capped at 60-70kw of regen and you wont even feel it at 150mph.

On the post about retrofitting plaid to an older car, the plaid has whole new battery architecture, new chassis, rear suspension has to be completely new to accommodate new dual motors back there. It is an absurd idea. You would be rebuilding the car.

Reactions: ucmndd
I’d guess that at 150mph simple wind resistance is providing more deceleration force than 70kw of regen.
It would be nice if Tesla offered the option of increasing it, I’m not sure how much they can safely offer but if the battery can handle 250kw charging then it would be nice to allow something more than 70kw especially since the batter will be warmed up to proper temps at that point ... because I’m sure plaid like ludicrous will require the battery be at a certain temp.

I can go to Mopar and get a Hellcat motor and drop it into my 75 Plymouth if I wanted to. As long as a Tesla is out of warranty I should be able to get a totaled performance model S and take the wiring, motors and battery pack and put it in my old Tesla without Tesla crippling the car. Just won't supercharge it.

Jason could probably come up with something but it would likely cost as much as buying a Plaid to start with.

Kind of like you can spend enough cash to make a Kia as fast as a Mustang GT. At the end of the day, you’ve spent more than the cost of the ‘Stang, and you still have a Kia.

Except in this case, you still have a Model S so the “shame” factor isn’t there.

I can go to Mopar and get a Hellcat motor and drop it into my 75 Plymouth if I wanted to. As long as a Tesla is out of warranty I should be able to get a totaled performance model S and take the wiring, motors and battery pack and put it in my old Tesla without Tesla crippling the car. Just won't supercharge it.

Do you have the foggiest idea what it takes to make a chassis handle hellcat hp and plant it well at the track?

The battery architecture change is going to b a big hurdle.

I find it likely the dual motors are going to have a different floor pan and wheel tubs.

But it will all just bolt in in afternoon right?

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec