Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Plaid - Weight Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To all owners out there, as promised here are the aforementioned weights for each interior component to approximately the nearest tenth. Hope this helps in your weight reduction journey. If you have any questions please ask.

Special thanks to Carlos Sepúlveda for the guidance.

Tools required - a 13 mm socket wrench, a 11 mm socket wrench, a T45, a ratchet, and a flat head screw driver.

Weights:
Passenger seat - 58 lbs
Rear bench seat - 17 lbs
Rear seat 60 split - 46 lbs
Rear seat 40 split - 21 lbs
Rear passenger side bolster - 0.8 lbs Rear driver side bolster- 0.8 lbs
Rear driver seat belt bracket - 2 lbs
Rear passenger seat belt bracket- 2 lbs Front and rear mats - 6.5 lbs
Rear shelf - 5 lbs
Rear trunk tray - 5 lbs
Stock charger - 6.6 lbs
Front license plate holder - 1.8 lbs
19 inch wheel covers - 1.6 lbs each

For a total savings of 178.9 lbs.

I did not remove the frunk or the trunk. The weight reduction does make a difference in performance. My trap in the quarter mile rose by 2.5 miles per hour from around 152mph to 154 mph and my 60-130 dropped 0.2 seconds from 4.6X to 4.4X.

Overall, I was satisfied with the results. The whole process should take around one hour and the outcome speaks for itself.

Tips:
- Be careful taking out the front seat...the T45 bolts are super easy to strip and are secured with loctite from factory. Make sure you have a firm grip in the head before you start to turn.

- The rear seat is secured on a rotating axel. Take out the whole axel along with the seat by removing three 13mm bolts on each side of the rear seat. Then you can seperate the 40/60 split easily and remove them from the car.

- Be gentle with the electrical connectors. There will be two for the front seat, and three in total for the rear seat. Each of them have plastic pins that need to be pushed in order to remove - once you apply pressure they are easy to remove.

- The front seat belt is very easy to remove from the front seat - insert the flat head into the slit, rotate and it will release with ease.

Please let me know if anyone has any further questions or concerns. Would be my pleasure to help. Hopefully others will eventually chime in the thread with additional components with their respective weights (i.e. trunk, frunk, door cards, interior trim components).

Thank you,
Khan

Attachments

• 20211023_130811.jpg
    20211023_130811.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 565
  • 20211023_125054.jpg
    20211023_125054.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 261
Thanks for the info Khan. How does the system respond to missing seats? Just error messages (if so what error(s) does it trigger) or does it disable anything in climate control or any other safety features not related to the seats?