Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Purchase Experience and First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other piece of advice in your situation that I regret not doing: Since you like trading stocks and seem to be comfortable with it - get a Roth IRA for yourself and contribute the whole allowable yearly amount to it. You're going to hit that silly low contribution limit within 3 to 5 years after college (if that), and then you can't contribute further to it without a lot of pain. But at least you'll be able to trade using that initial amount over the years until you retire.

I think that's because $125k is on the low side for a P85. My financing was also more than 2x my previous highest loan amount, and it was never even brought up. My income is far over $125k though.

Also take a look at this thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7238-Model-S-Buyers-What-s-Your-Income

Most Model S owners (and that poll include 60's and at that time 40's) make $140k+, which 46% making $200k+. So I don't think it was predominantly a loan history issue.

As for the rationality of your purchase - my first car (straight out of college) was a BMW 850i. (Lovely, but hugely impractical car.). Payments were like 50% of my income initially - but I don't regret it at all. I lost over 90% of my holdings at the time the market crashed in 2000. If I saved up more money instead of buying the car, I would have just lost more. But nobody can ever take away the experiences I had with that car.

And worse, a couple of months before the market crash in 2000 I was in the process of buying a boat (60-foot Sunseeker) for $650k - and I almost did, since hey, I was young, single, and had the money. But that would have been pretty much all I had at the time. So I backed out at the last minute, because boats are like the worst investments in the world, right? Turns out no...

So there. Enjoy your car - I'm sure you will. Nobody knows what the future is going to bring. But get that Roth IRA.

Thanks for the advice :) Sorry to hear about your troubles :(

I plan on keeping this car for at least 5 years and only trading it out when I can afford to buy a Ferrari for cash.
I agree $125K is low for a P85, but thats not our family income, its only my dad's (I think the poll you are referring to is family income).
Regardless of what you make spending $100K+ on an asset that will loose 50% of its value in 3 years is not about being rational so.

Yea, well lets see how that works out. The way I see it, I'm still ahead since I'm finishing w/ an undergrad + MEng in 3 yrs so no rush even if a PhD takes 4-5 years (I'll just save up 2 yrs income and live off the investment profits, which I have a good track record of over the past 7 years)

Fair enough, it just came off the wrong way when I read my email as I got out of bed this morning.

Anyway I hope to enjoy the car (I'm planning on my first ever road trip next weekend as I bring it up from LI to Ithaca, hopefully it doesn't leave me stranded somewhere). That would be very disappointing.

But the main reason I started this thread was to describe how terrible Tesla communication is.

:) I hear ya. Btw, that white looks really nice! Beautiful car for sure! Enjoy
It! :)

I read the whole story and comments. If you could not produce the $40k down most lenders required this is not going to end well. I suspect (sadly) this car will be repossessed by the lender within 36 months. Unless there's a whole bunch of cash not mentioned. Good luck.

I read the whole story and comments. If you could not produce the $40k down most lenders required this is not going to end well. I suspect (sadly) this car will be repossessed by the lender within 36 months. Unless there's a whole bunch of cash not mentioned. Good luck.

While I wouldn't have purchased a P85 right out of undergrad, I don't think this is a disaster. Based on his school, major, and the fact that he already accepted a job offer, I think Hershey101 most likely can afford this car. It might not be the wisest financial decision IMO, but it's not like he's buying with no way to make the payments.

Thanks for the advice :) Sorry to hear about your troubles :(

I plan on keeping this car for at least 5 years and only trading it out when I can afford to buy a Ferrari for cash.
I agree $125K is low for a P85, but thats not our family income, its only my dad's (I think the poll you are referring to is family income).
Regardless of what you make spending $100K+ on an asset that will loose 50% of its value in 3 years is not about being rational so.

I assume you are joking about the Ferrari. 5 years would be right in the middle of your PhD. Unless you will continue to make $125k+ during your studies. Anyway, good luck.

I'm still struggling with the trauma of not being allowed a Barbie. I feel your pain. Fortunately, a Roadster seemed to help.

Pained TMC member on the couch.

6502040661_e2e59f8948.jpg

To jchangyy: +1! I'm a 2nd gen. My 1st. gen family came to the states very poor and never made much money. They didn't believe and couldn't afford extravagant items and everything they did was on the cheap, hassling and negotiating over a mere dollar, and tipping as cheap as possible. While I was accepted into big-name schools, my family just could not afford it, so I went to a community college and then later to a state university while working to make ends meet being thankful that I still had a place to stay at my parents' home. My car during those times: A (hand-me|always-breaking)-down Ford. After I finished my undergrad studies, I went to work for a big-name computer company in California and during the tech boom, my salary more than doubled, but definitely nowhere near the realm of that Model S owner annual salary poll, but I was still happy that I was able to do the first thing my parents taught me: "Save for a rainy day". And when you're young and in your 20s, you really want to have fun, hang out/have fun with your friends and dream about what you can buy or do with yoursalary in a field where they pay well. Sadly and thankfully, I followed my parents in their frugal ways and drew out my own plan: 1) Finish school and find a good tech job (my passion) and continue learning in my field. 2) Pay yourself first - automatic salary deferral to savings, max out 401K, Roth IRA, etc. 3) Save enough money to replace the piece-of-$#!+ Ford with a more reliable car, but not too expensive and no car payments. 4) Save enough money for a down payment on a house and be able to pay a regular mortgage comfortably (not the fancy mortgages). 5) Save some for kids college [I believe working and going to school makes you stronger] 6) Pay off the mortgage. 7) Retire comfortably. I'm still around step 5 and 6. And I've found that even after saving the extra money, you have to try and enjoy some of it or else you'll die rich and not savor the hard work and lucky investments you've made. I can now pay off my mortgage and buy a Model S. Model S looks more attractive and I only have a few years left on my mortgage and it just didn't make financial sense to pay it off given the low interest payments near the end of the mortgage. Some solar panels at home would be cool, too. But what I won't do is borrow money to enjoy a car; it just doesn't make sense to me, even if it's a Model S. So when I saw hershey101's message about getting this really nice Model S right out of school, thinking his education, degree, and his investments would be no problem to handle a 100+K Model S car payment, I thought that was a bit naive and didn't have his priorities straight. But... too each his own. Heck, he's only a 20-something year old kid that has a degree in a well-paying field and graduated during a time when it appears the financial markets are slowly looking up again and the job market is slowly improving, especially in the tech industry, so perhaps he'll be fine and luck will be on his side. He does, after all, have a lot of time on his side to learn being so young and right out of school and I hope he's learned from his parents as to how they made it this far in their lives with the father making a good salary. What he hasn't experienced with his new job was the tech and housing market downturn, the massive layoffs in almost every industry, including the tech industry, and what it means to lose your job thru no fault of your own during those difficult times while still having a mortgage and possibly car payments to pay and not being able to find a job. I was lucky to keep my job during those times, but I saw people with excellent credentials and patents under their belt just being in the wrong place at the wrong time lose their jobs as expensive R&D projects were cut in place of maintaining revenue-generating projects. During those times, when you see a wasteland of layoffs hitting friends and family, frugality and belt-tightening generally kicks in to high gear. But again, it looks like the tech industry in California is back into hiring mode once again, so I'm safe for now and putting my sights back at a car to appeal to my tech-savvy side: the Model S. Because no other company has such a tech-savvy car.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I wish I could edit my post cuz it took it all and turned it into one paragraph. What's with this?!

Hershey....Congratulations...Beautiful Pearl White 'S'. Drive it in good health and best as you pursue your studies. Instead of a Ferrari in 10 years though I think you should consider a 2023 'S' that will have a 200KW battery, all wheel drive, 600 mile range and 0-60 in 3.2sec. :smile:

... Instead of a Ferrari in 10 years though I think you should consider a 2023 'S' that will have a 200KW battery, all wheel drive, 600 mile range and 0-60 in 3.2sec. :smile:

We all know that once H drives an EV he won't go back. In 10 years Tesla's Supercar with superior handling, 400 mile range, and 0-60 in 1.9 seconds will make Ferrari look like a little red wagon.

We all know that once H drives an EV he won't go back. In 10 years Tesla's Supercar with superior handling, 400 mile range, and 0-60 in 1.9 seconds will make Ferrari look like a little red wagon.

You might be right about that. The whole idea of actually having to sit in a car, and "turn on" the ignition and wait before you start moving does seem a bit primitive after driving Model S.
The day after I took delivery, some dude came up to next to me in a Mustang at a stop light, reving his engine and making a ton of noise, when I looked at him he revved the car a bit more, so when it turn green, I silently pulled away and waved at him in my rear-view mirror lol :). Lots of noise for no reason.

The day after I took delivery, some dude came up to next to me in a Mustang at a stop light, reving his engine and making a ton of noise, when I looked at him he revved the car a bit more, so when it turn green, I silently pulled away and waved at him in my rear-view mirror lol :). Lots of noise for no reason.
This comes to mind ("unnecessary drama"):

Youtube's an interesting place. First time I've seen this:

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be right about that. The whole idea of actually having to sit in a car, and "turn on" the ignition and wait before you start moving does seem a bit primitive after driving Model S.

Haha, for pure off-the-line torque there are very few street legal cars that can even come close to the Model S :biggrin:

I ever pulled up next to a Model S at a red light, I would gun my engine (all 1.8 liters of Honda Civic power) too just so I could watch the Model S rocket away. I'm not sure if the Honda engine makes enough noise to be audible though:eek:

In 10 years Elon should have spelled out what the hyperloop is, and perhaps cars will be as primitive as horse back travel..

So there. Enjoy your car - I'm sure you will. Nobody knows what the future is going to bring. But get that Roth IRA.

True words.

I'll just save up 2 yrs income and live off the investment profits, which I have a good track record of over the past 7 years

Ignorant words. But financial markets are good at teaching lessons. Happily, losing all one's money in their 20s can be a good learning experience.

As a general matter, I disagree that one needs to save in their 20s. The Age-Earnings Profile research by the likes of Modigliani, Keynes, Friedman, Becker and Mincer shows that earnings are low in one’s 20s, rising to one’s 50s, and then falling in one’s 60s.

Milton Friedman, Consumption Function.
Modigliani and A. Ando, "The Life Cycle Hypothesis of Savings,"American Economic Review, March 1963.
Modigliani and A. Ando, "The 'Permanent Income' and the 'Life Cycle' Hypothesis of Saving Behavior: Comparison and Tests," in Consumption and Saving, I. Friend and R. Jones, eds., Vol. II, Philadelphia, 1960, Table III-4.
Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition). Gary S. Becker, The University of Chicago Press. ISBN: 0-226-04119-0, Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition)
The Ghosts of Milton Friedman and John Maynard Keynes - Seeking Alpha

age-earning.jpg

Because one’s earnings generally rise as one ages and then decline later in life, it makes sense to over-consume/dis-save as a child, in one’s early career, and in retirement. In other words, while it may be helpful to set a little aside from early on, it is also entirely logical to not keep one’s consumption to a level to permit savings from an income that is a fraction of one expects to make in the future. Instead, a more level consumption function would be justified, including in retirement.

Of course, living a life within one’s means is also a good idea. Many people have a bad habit of growing their consumption into their means (and then some). And life can get expensive with costs like private schools, medical or hospice care for the elderly, or other unforeseen events (long term disability, etc.). In general, the people I see who consume like crazy in pursuit of happiness tend not to find it, while those who live within their means tend to find a sense of calm that comes from knowing they can check out and do whatever they want to, whenever they want, and are not beholden to “the man.” They aren’t loud, but instead quietly happy and don’t feel a need to go yell about it to the world.

As for the OP’s car (gift?), it sounds to me like he is getting a little help from his parents but is really paying for the car himself (or at least plans to do so until going back to school). So while people may disagree with the resource allocation to a car (as a percentage of income), this doesn’t sound like daddy buying him a P85. Of course, the whole plan seems a little half-baked (with him going back to school and no income to pay for his car payment that goes to 2019, and relying on profits from option trading), but that’s not too surprising for a male college senior who has been investing since about when the market hit rock bottom in 2008, so just about anyone who has been in the market has made money, and those buying calls have done quite well, and those buying TSLA calls of late have done VERY well. But early 20s males' frontal lobes aren’t fully developed, and I know that when I was that age I had a LOT of life lessons still to learn. His posts remind me of the kind of things I would have written - before I made a fool of myself and developed a bit more judgment. And FWIW, I don’t think he was kidding about the Ferrari.

But it's all good. No harm done. A young guy bought a car he may or may not be able to afford. It happens every day. Hopefully his desire for nice things inspires him to work hard and make a good living. And hopefully he has learned a lesson or two here – especially considering time spent by all the posters here on their helpful hints. But as other have said, I like that at least some young people today see a Tesla as a dream car rather than a Maserati and its atrocious fuel efficiency, and this is one more purchase toward electric mobility being adopted in society.

Last edited:
Let me know where you charge between LI and Ithaca and what the experience is like. I've considered making a similar trip, but always get discouraged by the charging desert that is central NY state. Thus, our only road trips to date are to the Hamptons and Boston from NYC.