TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S RHD test drives in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Video' started by DITB, May 28, 2014.

1. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

#1 DITB, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Now at the third location, Festival Walk, Kowloon Tong in Hong Kong, here's another view of a test drive:

(The impatient MTV generation can go straight to 0:25 in the video, as for the rest of us, just click PLAY, sit back and enjoy)

HK Taxis might seem to go fast, but that is because these LPG powered Toyotas have a digital accelerator pedal: It's either 1 - on or 0 - off. So eventually, after the light is green, they do get up to speed at times.

The video shows, though, that it does .... take ... a .... while. I guess everything is relative.

This is a P85+ btw, one of TM Hong Kongs 4 test/demo P85+ model S cars.

To see more pictures from the various RHD test drives in Hong Kong, see here: RHD test drives in May 2014

2. willowspuppy

willowspuppy Member

That just never gets old.

3. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

So true.

4. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Well, for Hong Kong, it's actual genuine news! The only model S' on the streets of Hong Kong, are the four TM test vehicles. I would love to have had microphones in those cars behind, to hear some of the "ooooooooh ?" and "What the .... ?" comments.As the deliveries hopefully start in just over a month here, there will be many more cars to fill the streets. Maybe Tesla should make a leaflet "How to drive your Model S in order NOT to endanger yourself". I remember reading about owners who mentioned they wait just a half second before they start from green - because they are so fast into the intersection, they could hit someone running a red light.I also predict there will be situations where other cars will change lanes and not realise there is a car there (a lot of lane changing happens by just using mirrors, if at all)

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I don't get this with the roadster. It looks fast, and different, so when I launch from a green light I guess people kind of expect it. I also don't get many people cutting in front. Seems to be that other drivers are more concerned about what I am going to do. Being low-down, a given speed feels faster in a roadster than in a sedan. 3+ years, and not a scratch (touch wood).

But, other drivers are not going to expect this kind of performance from a large 4 door sedan.

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If you have right turns on a red light in Hong Kong, watch out for the people who try to slip in a right turn after the light changes. They're not aware of how fast you can accelerate. There have been crashes because of this.

7. markwj

No right turns on red light here - although they would be left turns, as we drive on the correct side :tongue:

Off topic, but also: No parking on double yellow line. No parking on single yellow lines. No parking where there are no yellow lines. No parking except where explicitly marked as permitted in times permitted (and there are precious few of those). Unless you are a truck, in which case you park wherever the hell you like :cursing:

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

D'oh. Right drive always confuses the heck outta me, so I'm decreeing that left drive is correct.

LOL. No parking if you do, no parking if you don't.

9. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

To settle this you just have to ask yourself whether you drive on the right side or the wrong side...:wink:

10. markwj

Or do you sit on the right side or the wrong side...:wink: