Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model s rotational noise.. help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2014 p85 for a few months and it only has 27k miles. I started to hear a weird rotation thumping or flapping noise coming from the front tires. It actually sounds like it's both front tires. It's like if you heated up the tires and they were sticky sound but very loud. Any ideas

Guessing here,
The factory tires have acoustic foam inside, guessing that some of that foam has come loose and that’s the sound you’re hearing.

Take it to a tire shop and have them dismount the tire from the rim.

Also have you checked to make sure the tires are properly inflated?

Reactions: Chaserr
Guessing here,
The factory tires have acoustic foam inside, guessing that some of that foam has come loose and that’s the sound you’re hearing.

Take it to a tire shop and have them dismount the tire from the rim.

Also have you checked to make sure the tires are properly inflated?
I haven't checked the tires.. does the 2014 model s tell you if psi is low?

I haven't checked the tires.. does the 2014 model s tell you if psi is low?

You need to do an inspection: check the air pressures, inspect the tires for something lodged in the tread, a rock or piece of metal; turn the wheel full left and look at the tread, move the car a few feet and look again, repeat.
Look in the wheel wells and under the car. Maybe a plastic bag or piece of cardboard and it wrapped around the inside of the wheel or trapped in the caliper. I know you don't have half shafts in the front though so it couldn't be wrapped around that.

I've had my 2014 p85 for a few months and it only has 27k miles. I started to hear a weird rotation thumping or flapping noise coming from the front tires. It actually sounds like it's both front tires. It's like if you heated up the tires and they were sticky sound but very loud. Any ideas

Does it go away when you drive fast like over 60mph? some has suggested that its loose tire foam, if it is then the centrifugal forces at higher speeds will stop it moving around.

Noises are very hard to diagnose unless you can describe it in minute detail, there are literally hundreds of things in a car that can make odd noises.

UPDATE: sorry missed your video, however I can't use sound when I'm at work in the office!

Does it go away when you drive fast like over 60mph? some has suggested that its loose tire foam, if it is then the centrifugal forces at higher speeds will stop it moving around.

Noises are very hard to diagnose unless you can describe it in minute detail, there are literally hundreds of things in a car that can make odd noises.

UPDATE: sorry missed your video, however I can't use sound when I'm at work in the office!
Yes the sound starts to go away at higher speeds.