TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S service cost vs BMW i3

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by David99, May 27, 2014.

1. David99

David99 Active Member

EV owners like to point out about the low cost of service or lack of service that actually needs to be done. Yet Tesla charges $600 for the annual service. Even Elon admitted that this pretty high for a car service that needs far less work done than an ICE car. Actually even ICE cars needs very little service done in the first few years.

What makes it even more obvious is the service plan the BMW offers for the i3. Exactly $0 for the first 4 years including all factory recommended services. And that is for i3 with the range extender. The exact same plan for the Model S is $1900 prepaid!

I have no problem paying twice as much for a Model S vs the i3. It is worth it considering what you get, range, size and so on. But service isn't a premium product. It's basic maintenance on a car like any other, minus the work that an ICE engine needs. I have always felt every dollar spent on the Model S was totally worth it, but I have the opposite feeling about the service. It feels like a rip off that Tesla can get away with only because the typical Model S owner has plenty of disposable income and doesn't worry much about anything that is less than $2k.

BMW-i3-REx-EPA-ratings.jpg

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I agree.

And I remain confused by Elon's public statements saying that the Model S warranty remains in full effect even if the owner does not bring the car in for the annual service.

If the annual service isn't needed, why does Tesla offer it? Just to make money, despite Elon's other public statement that service should not be a profit center?

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This has been covered multiple times before but does anyone believe BMW gives service away for free for four years or that maybe they just bundle it into the cost of the car? I'm not saying Tesla doesn't change too much but they've decided not to bundle that cost into the car. Since people are used to that in the US, maybe it would be better for Tesla to offer 'free' service and simply raise the cost of the Model S.

4. David99

David99 Active Member

of course it is factored into the sales price of the i3 because it a small amount. The difference is that the actual service required on a EV is very little and doesn't cost much, yet you pay a lot for it with Tesla.

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

If you want to pay $0 for annual service on your Model S then simply don't ever bring it in for annual service. You won't void your warranty and anything that breaks is covered at $0 by your warranty.

You'll probably end up with about the same service as you'd get for your $0 on the i3, I.e. basically next to nothing.

6. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Given that Tesla/Elon have explicitly said that annual service is not required to validate the warranty why would anyone pay $600 to fill wiper fluid reservoir, rotate the tires, and do a visual inspection? A tire shop will rotate the tires and tell you if something is obviously broken for $20. And I can fill the wiper fluid reservoir.

Any thing wrong should be picked up by the computer diagnostics and even in the extremely remote chance that the computer does not diagnose a problem and your tire shop guys don't see it then it is still covered under the warranty period.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My local Tesla Service Center in Burlingame CA rotated the tires on my S for free at 7K miles.

8. walla2

walla2 Member

Some people don't live right next to a service center making the former anywhere or perhaps even $100 plan for ranger service definitely worth it.

9. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Doesn't apply to the factory supplied tires, but most tire shops rotate for free if purchased there. The shop I go to gets so much business from us, that they don't pay attention to which cars and tires we ask for rotation for.

10. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

A few random thoughts:

What makes you believe BMW is factoring service costs into the selling price?
    What makes you believe BMW is not loosing money already on every i3 produced/sold?
    A Fiat e500 costs $51k to make and we should believe BMW is making money on i3's sold for 10k less?
    i3 is pure R&D and marketing project payed for all those ICE cars BMW has and is still selling. BMW has no plan nor capacity to go big on EVs.
    Where is their Gigafactory for going big?

Tesla's service is not supposed to make a profit but it also shouldn't generate loss. All those service technicians must be payed their salaries.
    You have the option not to pay the anuall service and still have full warranty should anything fail.
    Where is the beef?

11. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

BMW definitely builds the "free" service into the base price. Here is a rundown of starting prices by class vs. Audi for instance

BMW 2 Series starts at $32,100 vs. Audi A3 at $29,900
    BMW 3 series starts at $32,750 vs. Audi A4 at $33,800
    BMW 5 series starts at $49,500 vs. Audi A6 at $43,100
    BMW 7 series starts at $74,000 vs. Audi A8 at $75,100
    BMW X3 starts at $38,400 vs Audi Q5 at $37,300
    BMW X5 starts at $52,800 vs. Audi Q7 at $47,700

Since the Audis tend to be higher optioned at base (for example Q5 have standard leather & A4s have partial leather vs. additional $1500 for BMW) this tends to widen price differential and pretty much make up for the extra service charge for the Audis