Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA MODEL S stopped working... CAR MAY NOT RESTART

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI

I had a problem with 12v battery... Car was working normal until i saw "car may not restart" "contact with tesla service that will not help you" and 12v low.... Everything was working. car was running and restarting and soon it stops... I can tell you that when it was driving the error code was shown but if i put to neutral it disappeared and after put in to drive it shows agin randomly after 30 seconds or 1 minute. Well i drive back home charge my car to full and at the next day it wount restart... I change 12 v battery connected to external source but only one thing i hear is that car is clicking contactors and wount let the HV work... Any idea where to start?

Dont worry we realy can do more that service center... I just want to know where to start... My friend is on the way with diagnostic software and in few hours we will know what is going on... However if some one had problem like this please share...

Photo attached.

Attachments

• 20180918_192512.jpg
    20180918_192512.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 2,000
Honestly 12v battery problem... It really needs to be charger at 13,5v and problems gone :)
You had a HV leak. That is what is called an external isolation fault.
The BMS measures the resistance between the HV leads going out and ground and if the resistance drops below a certain value it will cause a fault.
The alert very clearly shows it. You either have a faulty DU, HV battery heater, A/C compressor or DC/DC converter.
Whatever you did to the 12V battery probably didn't fix it, more likely just a coincidence.

You don't have to believe me, but when the car stops again... I told you! ;):D

You had a HV leak. That is what is called an external isolation fault.
The BMS measures the resistance between the HV leads going out and ground and if the resistance drops below a certain value it will cause a fault.
The alert very clearly shows it. You either have a faulty DU, HV battery heater, A/C compressor or DC/DC converter.
Whatever you did to the 12V battery probably didn't fix it, more likely just a coincidence.

You don't have to believe me, but when the car stops again... I told you! ;):D
An isolation leak can also be caused by moisture getting where it shouldn't be able to go. If the car had been in wet conditions and is now dry that could have cleared the fault too.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnnyG
You either have a damaged module that needs to be replaced, or the fault was temporary, caused by moisture as @hacer said

If the alert comes back up again, measure resistances between the HV leads and ground at the HVJB.
I think the alert triggers below around 1.5 MOhms
If any of the wires show a low resistance then it is causing the fault.
You ment measuring high voltage system ? On junktion box right? And if that will be not correct what to change? Cables?
Funny thing is that car doesnt show whats wrong... How you predict DCDC or AC compresor before?