Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model s stops charging at 95%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of charging (Home, L2, Supercharger, etc.)? It doesn't sound normal. Things that might cause this at home could be a voltage sag on the incoming power or perhaps some kind of extreme temperature situation. Has this happened twice in a row?

What kind of charging (Home, L2, Supercharger, etc.)? It doesn't sound normal. Things that might cause this at home could be a voltage sag on the incoming power or perhaps some kind of extreme temperature situation. Has this happened twice in a row?
live in san diego, not cold or hot. 14-50 tesla charger. I did however supercharge yesterday on a road trip, but supercharged to 90. The next day when I returned home, I set to 100 and it only charged to 95% and it said complete. says 40A in the car, but I know the amps lower when its getting close to 100.

My car has a hard time making it past 97%. Been like that forever. I only charge to 85-90% at home on 24A so I’m not stressing the battery. It’ll make it 99% every now and then but won’t stay there for long
Probably need to run the car down to low (single digits) SOC% and let it sit there a while so it knows where the bottom is and try another full charge.

That usually does the trick for us if we encounter top limit less than 100%s

So i let it run down to about 9%, let it set for about hour an half, then set to charge to 100, and it stopped at 97% this morning. So it didnt work. Unless I needed to let it sit longer at single digits?

Another thought - if you charge it overnight, and let's say it gets to 100% at 2am and stops charging. It could be when you look at it in the morning, it has discharged a few percent depending on what options you have on (Sentry mode for example, but there are other draining options). If you use timed charging (i.e. starts at midnight), when the charging reaches your set level, it will not restart charging after it drains from other vehicle power draws.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Another thought - if you charge it overnight, and let's say it gets to 100% at 2am and stops charging. It could be when you look at it in the morning, it has discharged a few percent depending on what options you have on (Sentry mode for example, but there are other draining options). If you use timed charging (i.e. starts at midnight), when the charging reaches your set level, it will not restart charging after it drains from other vehicle power draws.
I did start charging at midnight and I monitored when I woke up, when I woke up it still had a few hours remaining, it never reached 100. i do have a sevice call set up next week, be interesting to see what they say. Also, Tesla replaced my battery in August. So its only been a few months, since the replaced my battery pack.