Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Tops Consumer Reports Customer Satisfaction Survey by Scoring 99 Out of

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
Tesla Model S Tops Consumer Reports Customer Satisfaction Survey by Scoring 99 Out of 100 Points (w/video)

http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-...ction-survey-by-scoring-99-out-of-100-points/

I suspect the Tesla Model S will have a good review for years as well (ie. Volt reference) and I'll be happy to contribute in the future Model X survey.

CR release:
“Novelty can play a big role in launching a car into the top ranks, which isn’t surprising because brand-new designs can generate a lot of excitement. But enthusiasm can wane quickly if a car turns out to be not very special,” said Anita Lam, Consumer Reports automotive data program manager.

That’s the case with the Toyota Prius C hybrid, a smaller version of the regular Prius. It garnered one of the highest scores in its 2012 debut year but dropped a significant 10 points this time around. Other cars that faded significantly in their owners’ estimation were the Chrysler 200, Hyundai Sonata, and Subaru Impreza hatchback.

In past years, CR’s survey showed that“green” fuel-efficient cars, including electrics, hybrids, and fuel-sipping diesels, have also done well as a class in owner satisfaction, even though they aren’t known for outstanding comfort or engaging performance. Especially notable is the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, which finished first in 2011 and 2012 surveys. It slipped to third this time, but its score of 91 was only one point lower than last year’s. Volt owners continue to love the car about as much now as three years ago, suggesting that the Volt has some staying power beyond its novelty.
<snip>

99 out of 100 is remarkable. Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports’ director of automotive testing, stated:
“In testing, the Model S stands out for its innovative design, outstanding performance, and surprising practicality. These results suggest Tesla owners are very, very satisfied.”
Of note: The Tesla Model S knocked the Chevy Volt (holder of the #1 spot for 2 years running) out of the top spot in theConsumer Reports’ customer satisfaction survey. The top three spots now look like this:

• Tesla Model S: 99 points
  • Porsche Boxster: 95 points
  • Porsche 911 and Chevy Volt: Tied at 91 points

Count me in too.

At the Tesla Motors site someone did a survey in the locked owner's threads. They asked owners, if their car was destroyed today, would they buy another Model S to replace it or something else. When there was over 100 replies the thread was unlocked and made public. The response was that 99% would get another Model S. The one individual that did say he would get a different car said that he would get something different just for the sake of change.

Geez...tell me a list or award that the Tesla Model S doesn't win! ... well I guess it doesn't win the gas guzzler of the year award... anything else? lol
It's not winning reliability awards.

Most of the complaints CR saw were related to squeaks, rattles, body hardware, and climate control, which are a lot less serious than the car not running.

Frankly, I think it's somewhat remarkable that a new car manufacturer can achieve an overall reliability score of "average". Still, Tesla's reliability is apparently less than Lexus.

It's not winning reliability awards.

Most of the complaints CR saw were related to squeaks, rattles, body hardware, and climate control, which are a lot less serious than the car not running.

Frankly, I think it's somewhat remarkable that a new car manufacturer can achieve an overall reliability score of "average". Still, Tesla's reliability is apparently less than Lexus.

Most of the problems CR saw were related to noise. Noise not being drowned out by the white noise of an ICE.

People not used to the noises an EV makes. Like the sound an EV makes when billions of electrons are moving through wire when you floor the accelerator.

Tesla does not qualify for reliability awards yet. As they survey cars 1-3 years. The roadster had too few sales to harvest meaningful data.

CR predicted "average reliability" as a default because they don't have enough data to make a more accurate prediction only preliminary data.