Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$200 flat rate. Mil spec four indent crimps on the J1772 pins, tested on my Rav4 "mule"!!

I'm throwing in the "Phil S. light mod" (an LED light in the nozzle) for free.

Currently, 3-4 week turn around due to my tooling getting calibrated.

Since this is primarily for Tesla equipped Rav4 EV owners, I'll direct you to here:

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum View topic - Tesla model S UMC with J1772 connector

Mitch,

Since I take it that you already have a UMC Model S plug in hand, how do you plan on attaching it to carry 80A? I am thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't have the plug in hand to think about how to do this safely.

Thanks,

Peter

I'm putting one of the UMC Model S plugs that I bought from Tony on the "JuiceBox" when it arrives in August/September. They now state they are using #6AWG wiring internally and 80A relays/contactors. We'll see...

Mitch,

Since I take it that you already have a UMC Model S plug in hand, how do you plan on attaching it to carry 80A? I am thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't have the plug in hand to think about how to do this safely.

Thanks,

Peter

I was going to start by splicing on a piece of 6/3 SOOW to start (I only have about 18" of wire attached to the plug), I'm going to use seperate pilot/proximity wiring because I can't find EVSE wiring anywhere for a reasonable price (the Proximity wire is used by Tesla to send 3.3VDC to the plug, where it powers an RF transmitter to open the Model S door when the button on the handle is depressed)

I'm waiting for the "JuiceBox" to arrive, it's suppose to handle 60A, so I'm probably not going to push it to 80A (I have an OpenEVSE with a 75A J-1772 on it for that). Might just try running it at 60A and see how hot the wiring gets (the 18" of dual #12 per leg coming from the handle). This will likely be in a different location from my 75A OpenEVSE anyway...

Also Henry Sharp (of VT) is supposed to be coming out with a Model S connector, and he may be able to attach it to his 80A EVSE wire he sells on eBay ($8.99/foot), so if I do go higher power, I would probably just use his connector/cable, and leave the surplus Model S end I "Frankenstein" together for 40-60A charging max.

Last edited:
null-6-4.jpg

null-6-5.jpg

TeslaUMCplugsCutOff.jpg

While you're at it, put a NEMA 14-50 cord on it...

Well, I think it needs the signal from the plug to set the pilot signal to not overload the circuit... i.e., what the UMC has now.

So, it really just needs a more durable version of the current setup, and I would make it 90 degrees to the wall socket, instead of 15 degrees (or whatever the current one is).

Well, I think it needs the signal from the plug to set the pilot signal to not overload the circuit... i.e., what the UMC has now.

So, it really just needs a more durable version of the current setup, and I would make it 90 degrees to the wall socket, instead of 15 degrees (or whatever the current one is).

You can wire up a 14-50, and make adapters for other plugs like 6-50, 14-30 and 10-30 to it... It's easy to adjust the pilot amperage on OpenEVSE with the single button pushbutton menu and see it on the LCD display.. You aren't trying to copy the UMC, I'd say build it better and using heavier gauge wiring as well.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a 40 Amp Open EVSE mounted on the wall, but plugged into my 14-50 instead of hard wired. It would also be nice to have the Tesla connector instead of J1772 -- if only to be able to pop open the Tesla charge port from the cable handle... Shouldn't the EVSE be able to take the 240V 50Amp connection and then handle the pilot signal to the car?

If the cost of that was about the same as Tesla's replacement cost for a UMC, it might be a nice option instead of buying a 2nd UMC...

Shouldn't the EVSE be able to take the 240V 50Amp connection and then handle the pilot signal to the car?

If the cost of that was about the same as Tesla's replacement cost for a UMC, it might be a nice option instead of buying a 2nd UMC...

Yes, every EVSE handles the pilot signal to the car. The EVSE limits the maximum power the car will draw.

The UMC is quite inexpensive, so a homebuilt one won't likely be cheaper.

The UMC is quite inexpensive, so a homebuilt one won't likely be cheaper.

Here is an OpenEVSE kit for a little more than $200
OpenEVSE Store - OpenEVSE 30A Charge Station Combo
You would need a 40-50A relay with a 12V coil (these are all over eBay for about $20)
You need an enclosure and a line cord/connector, plus of course one of your surplus Model S connectors and some J-1772 cable (or make it up with some 6/3 SOOW and some 18/2 for the Proximity (feed with 3.3V to get the RF transmitter to work in the handle when the button is pressed on the Tesla handle), and of course the Pilot

I think this will be less than $650, it depends on how much you need for the Tesla UMC ends, and if you can find 50A J-1772 cable (or make it up)

That's not cheaper than a $480 UMC plus $45 plug from Tesla.

Probably still less than $525, I'm assuming that might be the Service Center pricing? Doesn't make sense compared to the website below, and I'm sure they'll eventually align these prices, even adding in $45 for the 5-15, that's $80 for the carrying bag.

it's $650 on the Tesla website with a 14-50, a 5-15, and a carrying bag:
Shop Tesla Gear Mobile Connector Bundle

Probably still less than $525, I'm assuming that might be the Service Center pricing? Doesn't make sense compared to the website below, and I'm sure they'll eventually align these prices, even adding in $45 for the 5-15, that's $80 for the carrying bag.

it's $650 on the Tesla website with a 14-50, a 5-15, and a carrying bag:
Shop Tesla Gear Mobile Connector Bundle

Yes, $650 with a cheap $4 bag and the two plugs purchased online, or walk into the service center and just get the UMC.

Would this J1772 modified Model S MC work on a Roadster using a CAN?

Tesla is at least a month out for the Roadster UMC for new Preowned owners and the Model S MC is less expensive than Roadster's UMC (even with your $200 charge). If so, count me in! Do I have to order the Model S MC and ship to you for modification or do you handle that "all in".

Dennis
My Blog (mainly Active E for now and Tesla stuff as it grows...)
Active E driver with 42,500 miles in almost 18 months. Roadster #78 when they finally complete PDI (new estimate Saturday the 24th). Tesla Model S requested November 2013 delivery in Blue/Tan WITH Sub-zero Package in Southern California... Because COLD is a relative term.