Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think many manufacturers (but not Tesla) have shied away from providing any 240V customer EVSE equipment because they are worried about liability in case someone shocks themselves or starts a fire. I guess many codes suggest that 240V outlets are generally meant for indoor use only (driers, ovens, etc.)

I wish they would just look at all the NEMA 14-50 in use at RV parks for RVs and campers. Those are outdoors and "regular people" can use them.

That actually brings me to a point in which i wanted to voice to tesla. Make their UMC With J1772 outlets Most electric vehicles, or extended range vehicles, chevy volt. nissan leaf, ford focus ev, and fiat ev., fit ev all have "chargers" included with them on 120volts and then to get a "fast charging time" they force you to buy a charger from one of their exclusive ev partnered affiliates that are upwards of 700 dollars for what is essentially a 240 volt circuit that tesla includes with their vehicles for free... if ev adoption is to happen quickly the minimum that should be included is a UMC of tesla handling 10kwh the instillation cost are reduced for home owners to Simply have an electrician make an outlet. It obviously has to do with energy density of tesla vehicles vs the competition but i think having the um be able to work with all ev's is a big step forward

Basically a jesla? How about an adapter cord like they are producing for CHAdeMO,
screenshot-2014-04-09-14-04-12.jpg

only with a Tesla plug receptical on the house end and J1772 plug on the car end.

That's the evse adapter I want. That opens Tesla charge equipment to all ev's. That adds HUGE versatility to hpwc and umc and avoids permanent conversion (jesla).

Last edited:
With the recent price drop for the Tesla HPWC (now called Wall Connector) to nearly UMC costs, is it possible and cost efficient to make a JESLA-like J1772 conversion for 80A charging? I realize that the higher current would only be useful for the Tesla. However my application is for a dual-use charger at another location: charging a non-Tesla EV at 6.6kW normally, but with ability to do full 20kW charging on dual-charger equipped Model S. Since the HPWC is easily disassembled, is this as simple as buying a prefab 80A cable plus plug and then swapping out the factory charging cord (with hopefully all screw terminals)?

With the recent price drop for the Tesla HPWC (now called Wall Connector) to nearly UMC costs, is it possible and cost efficient to make a JESLA-like J1772 conversion for 80A charging? I realize that the higher current would only be useful for the Tesla. However my application is for a dual-use charger at another location: charging a non-Tesla EV at 6.6kW normally, but with ability to do full 20kW charging on dual-charger equipped Model S. Since the HPWC is easily disassembled, is this as simple as buying a prefab 80A cable plus plug and then swapping out the factory charging cord (with hopefully all screw terminals)?

I imagine it would be - the cable in the wall connector is field-replaceable. If you had an 80-amp J1772 cordset it seems like it would be capable of such.

A word of caution - I've seen people do this where they didn't use an 80A cable and connector because they're expensive and hard to find and their J1772 cars were only 6.6 or 10 kW. They assumed it would never be used above that because that's all their cars would use. Everything is just hunky dory until a friend/relative/spouse or next car they buy draws 80A at which time you burn your house down or worse and TSLA market cap drops $1Bn due to bad press over their chargers.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious where you are going to buy the 80A cable and J1772 connector? I know Clipper Creek has one but the cable is larger diameter than Tesla's. Are there other suppliers? Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Hi Tony

Could you Help me Understand and maybe build me a cable that is US Spec Model S that will handle 40amp charge into a type 2 connector in Europe or here in Middle east.
we use the 7 pin in the charging stations and they don't supply the cable (bring ur own)

its 3 phase 22kw at 35amp with the type 2 7 pin

so if i could get a cable made i think it should work.
am not really sure how they work i get a brain freeze every time i think of it

Could you Help me Understand and maybe build me a cable that is US Spec Model S that will handle 40amp charge into a type 2 connector in Europe or here in Middle east.
we use the 7 pin in the charging stations and they don't supply the cable (bring ur own)

its 3 phase 22kw at 35amp with the type 2 7 pin

No need to make your own cable, you can buy them off the shelf at many suppliers, for example https://evconnectors.com/Electric-Vehicle-Charging-Leads-Connect-To-A-Charging-Station/j1772-to-62196-2-32-amp-plugs-and-cable-dsi-dsiec-ev32p.

These are Type2 (7 pin) -> Type1 (5-pin) cables widely used for charging vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf. You would then use the Tesla adapter for the Type1 connector to the USA-spec Tesla inlet on the car. Make sure you get a 32A rated cable.

However, this will only get you 7kW charging out of a 22kW point, because your USA-spec car has only a single phase charger: when offered 3-phase power, it can only use one of the phases and hence one third of the available power. There is nothing you can do about this with any practical kind of cable or adapter: your USA-spec car simply has the wrong sort of electronics inside it for use with 3-phase power. EU-spec Model S has different charger electronics inside.

It is theoretically possible to solve this - with a bunch of electronics the size of a small refrigerator and considerable cost. For example, these people sell something close to what would be required at a price of $25,000 http://www.andromedapower.com/ORCA__Mobile.php. But it's not a practical solution.

Sorry to hijack this thread but now that we have had such success with the J-esla UMC, is there any way to go in the opposite direction? IE to turn the EVSC formerly known as the Tesla HPWC to a J1772 plug or to build an adapter for it?

I ask b/c my condo board is finally getting around to installing a 240/208 V EVSC after very kindly installing 4 basic NEMA 5-20 outlets in our garage. I have petitioned them to simply install a NEMA 14-50 and have all the BEV drivers supply their own charging cable (as this would be the cheapest install) but this option is considered a bit "unpolished" and they are basically looking at some cheapo 30 Amp EVSEs.

The HPWC is an easier sell as it is much cheaper than the Clipper Creek CS-100, but the condo board will not install a proprietary charger than can only be used by one type of vehicle. a modified HPWC or some sort of Tesla to J1772 adapter would be so helpful here.

Currently there are 3 model Ss in the garage, and 8 other BEVs that use a J1772. I am the only one who uses my Volt as a daily driver. The rest use their BEV as a weekend car which is why the NEMA-5 has been adequate for the garage's needs thus far.

Can such an adapter be made?

Sorry to revive this thread, but it's the most relevant to my question, and I suspect that there will be others with the same question soon: I'll be replacing my Leaf with a Model 3 sometime in the next few months, so I was thinking of replacing the J1772 on my 30A EVLink EVSE with a Tesla connector. I see Tony is still selling them, and they have a few inches of cable intact. For power and CP, I'm guessing cut off the J1772, and crimp the leads in the existing cable to appropriate ones in the UMC connector. The UMC connector should already have the proximity pilot resistances, right?

My question is really around adding a 3.3v supply for the charge door transmitter. It seems it would be more elegant to do that inside the EVSE housing, rather than by adding a battery pack where I splice the cables at the car end. Has anyone tried that? There should be plenty of room, and I'd probably still go with a battery rather than trying to rig up a power supply that would have to be powered off another branch circuit and routed into the EVSE.

Sorry to revive this thread, but it's the most relevant to my question, and I suspect that there will be others with the same question soon: I'll be replacing my Leaf with a Model 3 sometime in the next few months, so I was thinking of replacing the J1772 on my 30A EVLink EVSE with a Tesla connector. I see Tony is still selling them, and they have a few inches of cable intact. For power and CP, I'm guessing cut off the J1772, and crimp the leads in the existing cable to appropriate ones in the UMC connector. The UMC connector should already have the proximity pilot resistances, right?

My question is really around adding a 3.3v supply for the charge door transmitter. It seems it would be more elegant to do that inside the EVSE housing, rather than by adding a battery pack where I splice the cables at the car end. Has anyone tried that? There should be plenty of room, and I'd probably still go with a battery rather than trying to rig up a power supply that would have to be powered off another branch circuit and routed into the EVSE.

I have the same question. Not much luck in finding any solutions.

Yes, absolutely put the 3.3vdc power supply or CR2032 battery in the EVSE housing. Just connect positive to the blue wire and negative to ground.

We have oodles of these plugs, since we are celebrating 4 years making Jesla and J-Wall. We have 40 and 80 amp, 1st and 2nd generation plugs.

Public service announcement. We are having our Grand Opening and Open House on Saturday, 2 Sept 2017, from noon to 4pm. Music, raffles, 12 kinds of beer on tap, food catered, lots of EVs, all in beautiful San Diego county. You're all invited:

Grand Opening - Quick Charge Power LLC