TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Model S vs Tesla Model S-Same travel comparaison with different driving speed

Discussion in 'Video' started by djromain, Jan 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. djromain

djromain Member

#1 djromain, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Video speeded 5 X
    My full travel starts early morning when it is night, without public lights, so I have 74 kms done that you can't see in the video.
    First, you have to know that in this video, we see the returns of the travel each day tested, Level road increases more than decreases.

Green graph shows last 50 kms of a 150 kms travel, like the two others, but with no video record, but interesting because driving is like the pink video (7°C with heater ON full fime) on the bottom, with 10°C outside, and no heater (for the last 74 kms). All this travel has a consumption of 192 wh/km, and last 50 kms with no heater : 189 wh/km

Now orange graph shows video of 74 kms last kms on 10/01/2014, with 5°C outside, heater ON, and going fast nearly each time it is possible. (On the morning I did the same, but with no traffic, so it was easy to drive faster than on the afternoon)
    Pink graph shows video of 74 kms driving cool on 09/01/2014 with 7°C outside, heater on.
    So with that, you can compare kw/h consumption last 50 kms on graphs
    and you can deduce that driving faster during 150 kms eats 215 wh/km, and only 189 wh/km driving more smoothly.
    On full travel, gain is about 20 minutes for 150 kms. but with 27 wh /km more or 4kw used, or a needed time for slow recharging with 13A /220V of 90 minutes more

For my next video, I will try to have inside car video recorded with screen boards, indicate speed, and comsumption in life. And I have to wait time for driving on the morning by day, because for the moment, it is night

2. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

That's an excellent video and a very interesting comparison. Thanks for the hard work recording and editing this.

It is clear that fast driving means more energy use per km, and that obviously means longer recharge times. However, if you have a enough time to recharge to 100% there is no issue with using up all the battery. With 13A this might be quite a long time.

If you don't have time to get enough charge for your next drive you need to slow down until you do. Bearing in mind that 13A gives you 20kms of Rated Range per hour the slower you go the better! If time is really tight you would do better driving at the Model S's most efficient speed (was that 40km/h?)!! Can't see you doing that in the South of France though! :)

3. Grey on Grey

Grey on Grey Banned

Great, but please make sure to either use a tripod inside or mount your camera with a suction cup to avoid amateurish shaky cam video.
    Looks like you did anyway so fantastic! Just be sure to do the same for the inside shots and it would look professional.
    Also, do not have the camera on auto focus or auto exposure.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You could make a video couldn't you?

5. djromain

djromain Member

I don't have another cam like a Gopro yet, but I will try to do this with my Reflex Canon 500D and sony Alpha A77, it should works fine

6. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Dont even worry about it, I dont know what grey is talking about there is nothing wrong with the video, no amateurish video shake.
    Excellent job!

7. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Great vid, thanks!

I wonder how much extra impact the rain had on the S? In my cheap compliance EVs is really hits the range.

8. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

We recently did a long (2800km) trip in the Model S, going skiing in the Alps. On the way back it rained very heavily indeed and the wipers were on max. I can't honestly say I saw much impact but I also slowed down for safety reasons, and just slowing 1kmh down is enough to cover any energy loss in wipers, air/rain friction etc. Rain should actually reduce the rolling resistance of the tyres too, so it maybe a zero-sum game in the end.

One thing I suspect is that in cold rain the battery gets colder quicker and that may have a direct impact on energy use (heating the battery is a large drain) but we will need to do a more scientific comparison test to get to the bottom of that one.

9. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I don't think I've ever seen a value placed on the impact that rain has on range - the force required to move the rain out from under the tires is quite a bit I believe. If you look at the amount of water moved and imaging doing that yourself with a bucket it seems substantial. Unscientifically, I've seen 10%ish come off of my Focus or ActiveE on the daily commute.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

From what I've seen, a wet road doesn't do much. Heavy rain resulting in standing water on the road is another story, easily 10% or more.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Try the Vehicle Energy Use Similator App. You can set all kinds of things including water depth. And yes, it's easy to have a 10% reduction.