Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that Tesla Model S is a very heavy car with over 1500 lb of battery itself. Does this pose a problem in controlling momentum, breaking, and damage in terms of collision? How do the insurance handle this? Is it wise to have a larger insurance collision policy. How does the weight compare with other big cars?

In my opinion, the car handles very well for its size and weight. No concerns at all. In terms of collisions, you're going to do much better than the other guy as has been demonstrated by some of the threads here on Model S accidents. My insurance premiums for the Model S turned out to be slightly less than the '09 Cadillac CTS I traded in.

I notice that Tesla Model S is a very heavy car with over 1500 lb of battery itself. Does this pose a problem in controlling momentum, breaking, and damage in terms of collision? How do the insurance handle this? Is it wise to have a larger insurance collision policy. How does the weight compare with other big cars?

Model S handles like a much smaller car than it is due to three things: instantaneously available torque; effective braking, both the huge Brembo discs and regenerative braking; and a very low center of gravity. Oh, and a fourth: a well-designed suspension. Take the test drive: you'll be amazed.

All of the weight of the Model S is between its wheels. There is no weight overhanging the front or rear axles. This makes turn-in incredibly sharp and means there's no pendulum effect when swerving, like doing a slalom. That, combined with the low center of gravity, makes for a great go-kart like feel.

All of the weight of the Model S is between its wheels. There is no weight overhanging the front or rear axles. This makes turn-in incredibly sharp and means there's no pendulum effect when swerving, like doing a slalom. That, combined with the low center of gravity, makes for a great go-kart like feel.

Audi A7 has nearly the same exterior dimensions and weighs 4167 lbs vs Model S at 4647 lbs. So about 10% heavier but lower center of gravity due to location of battery. I switched to Model S 85 from a 2011 Audi A4 five months ago and while it of course feels bigger when maneuvering and parking, it handles like a much smaller car.

---updated---
Turning radius is 18.5' for the Model S non-Performance compared to 19.5' for the A7 and 18.7' for the A4 (both Quattro), according to AOL Autos.

Last edited: