Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S with Distronic Plus (Adaptaive Cruise Control) like Mercedes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ACC test Car at Hawthorne:

ACC Dash.jpg

+2 Those who own a car with adaptive cruise and have any highway commuting will always insist that their next car have ACC.

Those who think they are against ACC are like those who thought they were against stability control and antilock brakes and automatic transmissions and seat belts and third brakes lights. Probably most of those luddites aren't people who are likely to be interested in the Tesla as the Tesla will mostly be attractive to people who can appreciate the benefits of auto tech developments.

+2 Those who own a car with adaptive cruise and have any highway commuting will always insist that their next car have ACC.

Those who think they are against ACC are like those who thought they were against stability control and antilock brakes and automatic transmissions and seat belts and third brakes lights. Probably most of those luddites aren't people who are likely to be interested in the Tesla as the Tesla will mostly be attractive to people who can appreciate the benefits of auto tech developments.

+1000 once you have it, you don't want to go back.

Not necessarily. I don't use cruise control because of the negative effect it has on power usage, but I have always liked the other items you mentioned. If they could make cruise control that wasn't a power hog, then I'd be all for it as well.

Not necessarily. I don't use cruise control because of the negative effect it has on power usage, but I have always liked the other items you mentioned. If they could make cruise control that wasn't a power hog, then I'd be all for it as well.

Jerry you have to consider that the ACC would use radio waves that are expensive in terms of power (apart from all other electronic devices of the ACC of course). Then ACC power absorption can be improved but there will be always an amount of power used by the ACC.
IMO the ACC power usage is not an issue considering that Tesla is always increasing the battery sizes and always improving the SuperChargers network.
Problem is that safety comes first IMO and all other parameters have got to match to safety features not the other way around.

Interesting, in a normal vehicle cruise control is almost always more efficient than the driver manually trying to maintain a speed. If this is not the case in the Tesla then it appears they royally screwed up. In fact, to add to Raffy's post, the cruise control should easily save more power than it takes to operate the electronics needed to do it.

Interesting, in a normal vehicle cruise control is almost always more efficient than the driver manually trying to maintain a speed. If this is not the case in the Tesla then it appears they royally screwed up. In fact, to add to Raffy's post, the cruise control should easily save more power than it takes to operate the electronics needed to do it.

The amount of energy ACC uses to do its function is trivial. I've yet to see any CC that can beat a human. I'm not saying it's impossible, or even technically challenging, to make one that could, but all the ones out now emphasis maintaining a constant speed which is detrimental to efficiency. The main problems are:

1. They accelerate way too fast.
2. They don't slow down on uphills. (Even a 10 km/h slowdown when going up a grade pays big dividends)
3. They don't allow a reasonable speed-up on downhills.

Best efficiency is obtained by keeping the power output as level as possible. Cruise control does just the opposite (except on a totally hill-free windless route--and even in Kansas--the flattest state--there aren't many of those).

I'm sorry you think like that, and while you have valid points, your conclusion is wrong. The problem is that despite the problems you list, most driving is done on the flat, and cruise control is far more efficient there than any human can possibly be. Add to that the fact that most humans also maintain speed on hills, and against the wind, and you find that cruise control wins pretty much every time.
Humans are horrible at maintaining a set level of power output.

Of course part of your premise is wrong too, every cruise control I've ever met does number 3 on your list, older ones in fact had no breaking functions at all, whereas newer ones tend to allow about 10km/hr increase (which is already quite a risk when you realize most speed traps are located at the bottom of hills)

That said, there are definitely things that could be done to improve on a factory cruise control, Tesla should have a couple different modes so that you can select what is important to you, maintain speed, or extend range.