Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (Model S & X) no longer eligible for Ontario rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This data should already exist, in that the Ontario rebate went from $14k to $3k to $14k on these cars previously. The $3k period was long enough that it should provide a good sense, and I'd have a hard time believing that a $3k rebate made any significant difference to those shopping vehicles in the Model S/X price class.

I don't know enough about this; is MTO registration data by model publicly available somewhere?

I agree completely that "affordability" in its most strict sense doesn't matter. Opportunity costs factor in heavily. If I spend more money on a car, I have less money available for other things.
And to have a rebate then remove it just exacerbates the situation.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but we have been through a very similar situation previously and there should be data to indicate how much of an impact it had.
I am not so sure about that as there are always lots of moving pieces - like availability of the AWD Model S, introduction of the Model X, movement of the exchange rate that can dwarf the rebate amount, etc. The data would be very noisy to run any kind of regression analysis.

I am not so sure about that as there are always lots of moving pieces - like availability of the AWD Model S, introduction of the Model X, movement of the exchange rate that can dwarf the rebate amount, etc. The data would be very noisy to run any kind of regression analysis.

I agree there are challenges - most of which will come down to inadequate data, and you may well be right that the data will be too noisy. If nothing else, we may be able to get anecdotal-level information - for whatever that is worth - indicating that sales did or did not visibly drop during the $3k rebate period.

I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader to determine whether they're motivated enough to put the time in.

The sales data should be available on the FleetCarma website but I don't know about the data on when the rebates have changed. If I remember correctly it went from $8500 when I bought my Model S in late 2014 to $3000 to $14000 and now down to zero (I think).

Agree and disagree. Incentives should not be to cherry pick based on the price of the car. It’s actual intention should be to reduce carbon emissions and provide a bonus to anyone who reduces yet another ice vehicle off the road.

And which actually costs taxpayers more out of pocket in terms of subsidizing an EV buyer?

50k bolt - 6k hst
14 rebate
Net: -8k to the govnt

130k tesla - 16.9k hst
14 rebate
Net: +2.9k to govnt

150k Tesla - 19.5k hst
14 rebate
Net: +5.5k to govnt

I’m addition, the luxury buyer is likely forgoing a luxury V8, premium ice vehicle ie. Mercedes, E/S , Porsche Cayenne/911, BMW 535/750/x5/x7, Audi A6/S7/A8, Land Rovers etc
Thereby reducing quite a bit of carbon footprint.

The mid range buyer is likely to be foregoing a similarly classed vehicle ie. Acura, bmw 3, Merc c, Honda Accord, Camry, Ford Fusion etc etc. Many of which have efficient 4 cyl engines and much lower footprint.

All I’m saying is why cherry pick and penalize those who have consciously made the commitment to bring another EV to the road and reduce Ice? As an owner of an MS and soon MX, I can say I look forward to the incentive rebate (just scrapped in) as it reduces my overall out of pocket over my 4 yr lease. I’m not what anyone would consider affluent but by grace my business can lease this vehicle and earn it’s tax write off as well as net reduction through the rebate. I think I may have been slower to consider the MX if the 14k was gone.

I agree the fact that it’s going to help a lot of mid range buyers adopt EV’s as they are more price concious and would generally made a final call based on the incentive to shift.

THANK YOU. I've been saying this all along. If the Government knew how to do math, they would have NEVER removed it form the LIST....

My only wonder... did Tesla push for the change in order to drive sales from the S towards the 3 due to a greater Profit Margin?

If the government shouldn't cherry pick (which I agree with 100%) than why support EV's at all? A much larger impact on emissions could be made by raising gas taxes, and encouraging people to buy smaller cars! Or supporting hybrids, or better biking paths, etc... With all of the millions spent on EV rebates they haven't done much to push the needle. Except in the high end luxury market EV's haven't made a dent. And personally, if you want to spend over $100k on a car you probably would've done so without the rebate anyways.

Reactions: jkirkwood001