Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model standard upgrade to standard plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased the Tesla model 3 standard, then upgraded at a later time to standard plus? If so, a couple of queries:
1) what was the additional cost?
2) did that include autopilot?
3) was there an option to NOT have autopilot when upgrading?

Thanks.

Just recently Tesla sent emails to SR owners inquiring about upgrading to SR+

1. $4,500 (That is $510 more to upgrade an SR to SR+ after than it is to simply buy an SR+ from the beginning)
2. Yes
3. Not specified. Seems to be full upgrade with autopilot only

Has anyone been able to confirm that? All I've seen is one screenshot on this site stating the upgrade price would be $4500. I was interested so I contacted Tesla after seeing that and they told me they had no information on an upgrade path at this time.

I've also asked multiple times and gotten no response... When did you get the email and would you mind posting a screen shot or the text?

Does anyone have a definitive list of differences; AP, semi-immersive sound, fog lights, unlocked top 20mi of range... anything else? Is sat maps, browser, searchable music included? I'm considering AP which is the main reason for me to upgrade to Standard Plus, the other options don't add too much for me.

I think they're referring to this:

Your Model 3 Standard Range (is being software limited)

The email supposedly came from a reddit forum:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/76ca78b3-625f-4916-8a78-ca23b03ed34f-jpeg.440915/

So far it's the only evidence we have of either a price or upgrade path but I haven't been able to confirm it with Tesla. I believe most SRs today are shipping with SR software, that started a couple of months ago, but I don't know of anyone like me who paid the 35k for an SR and was delivered an SR+ that has had their software downgraded yet. They sent me an email back in early June threatening to turn my car into an SR within a week and told me to contact my Service Center to purchase the upgrade to prevent it, but they have yet to follow through on either.

I think they're referring to this:

Your Model 3 Standard Range (is being software limited)

The email supposedly came from a reddit forum:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/76ca78b3-625f-4916-8a78-ca23b03ed34f-jpeg.440915/

So far it's the only evidence we have of either a price or upgrade path but I haven't been able to confirm it with Tesla. I believe most SRs today are shipping with SR software, that started a couple of months ago, but I don't know of anyone like me who paid the 35k for an SR and was delivered an SR+ that has had their software downgraded yet. They sent me an email back in early June threatening to turn my car into an SR within a week and told me to contact my Service Center to purchase the upgrade to prevent it, but they have yet to follow through on either.
Have you gotten any firmware updates in the meantime?

I'm still on 2019.16
Curious if you're on 24/28

I have read that if the window stickers reflect SR+, the car can not be downgraded. Federal law dictates window stickers must match the car sold and can not be altered.
not true

tesla didn't give me a window sticker ( i asked @ delivery and maybe I should follow up.) Is it really Federal law??

I have a sr that shows as plus on car screen but no ap etc (probably a + downgrade that didn't fully take? )

Mine is on 20.4.2 and it hasn't received an update in a while, though I haven't been putting the wifi near the car at night.

For Vick, Tesla did indeed deliver some early SRs with SR+ window stickers on them or in the glovebox, and there are in fact federal laws governing those stickers. That may or may not have something to do with why Tesla has been hesitant to downgrade them. When the rebranded SR was first announced AP was not included on the SR+ or any model, you had to buy it for $3k. Shortly afterwards (maybe at the same time, can't remember) Tesla raised the price of the SR+ by $2000 and included AP; people who bought SR+s before the 2k price increase still have to purchase AP just like SR owners. AP was not listed on those stickers so Tesla is under no obligation to provide it.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Mine is on 20.4.2 and it hasn't received an update in a while, though I haven't been putting the wifi near the car at night.

For Vick, Tesla did indeed deliver some early SRs with SR+ window stickers on them or in the glovebox, and there are in fact federal laws governing those stickers. That may or may not have something to do with why Tesla has been hesitant to downgrade them. When the rebranded SR was first announced AP was not included on the SR+ or any model, you had to buy it for $3k. Shortly afterwards (maybe at the same time, can't remember) Tesla raised the price of the SR+ by $2000 and included AP; people who bought SR+s before the 2k price increase still have to purchase AP just like SR owners. AP was not listed on those stickers so Tesla is under no obligation to provide it.

so those SR folks still have AP?

I see. Thanks for the info. I park my car underground basically all the time so firmware updates are basically impossible for me... Time to try and find a friend's driveway with WiFi.

One question - How many people here have the software limited SR? You can tell by going to the info screen and it will say either "Standard" or "Standard Plus". If it just says "Standard" you've been software limited. For those that have the "Standard" on their screen, what are your options for upgrading Autopilot on your car?

Here's what a software limited Standard should look like:
Tesla starts delivering 'Standard Range' Model 3 at ~$35,000 with locked features - Electrek

One question - How many people here have the software limited SR? You can tell by going to the info screen and it will say either "Standard" or "Standard Plus". If it just says "Standard" you've been software limited. For those that have the "Standard" on their screen, what are your options for upgrading Autopilot on your car?

Here's what a software limited Standard should look like:
Tesla starts delivering 'Standard Range' Model 3 at ~$35,000 with locked features - Electrek

Some peoples cars say Standard Plus but are Standard...

Reactions: Motron3030