Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model standard upgrade to standard plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine used to say standard plus but in July it changed to standard with an update.

I got the best response so far at a Tesla showroom this weekend. I asked how much the upgrade was and the sales guy told me that I needed to trade it in to upgrade. I told them about their own announcement and the more senior sales guy said he knew what I was talking about but will have to find out from a manager. I think this is the 6th inquiry... at ordering, at pick up, at two showrooms, at service when I picked up my 1450 adapter, and also mobile service... with no real response.

Hmm, I had an update yesterday and it still shows Standard Plus on the screen and I have the same range, fog lights, and immersive sound. On a side note I did find my Monroney sticker in the glovebox the other day (two of them actually), and it does indeed have the Standard Plus option listed on the sticker, which may have something to do with why they haven't stripped my car of any SR+ features (AP wasn't included with the SR+ when that Monroney sticker was printed). I ordered my car a couple of days after they announced the SR was just going to be a software locked SR+.

I was just given a "guesstimate" over the phone but told the actual price can only be given by the Service Center. The cost to upgrade from SR to SR+ is supposedly $3,890 which is the difference in cost between the two models and includes AP.

Under 4k is worth the upgrade. Hopefully we get a solid answer soon. My SR says SR+, has immersive audio, standard range 220 and speed (0-60 5.64 - I tested it ). Everything else is locked out. I have not updated software since taking delivery early June and have no intention to ever update unless I can keep my Immersive sound.

I was just given a "guesstimate" over the phone but told the actual price can only be given by the Service Center. The cost to upgrade from SR to SR+ is supposedly $3,890 which is the difference in cost between the two models and includes AP.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Everything else is locked out. I have not updated software since taking delivery early June and have no intention to ever update unless I can keep my Immersive sound.

better hope you never have any problem at all with your car, and never ever have to take it to service, because that is the first thing tesla will do with just about any service is update the software.

Under 4k is worth the upgrade. Hopefully we get a solid answer soon. My SR says SR+, has immersive audio, standard range 220 and speed (0-60 5.64 - I tested it ). Everything else is locked out. I have not updated software since taking delivery early June and have no intention to ever update unless I can keep my Immersive sound.

I had the immersive sound for a week or so. I could tell the difference and do miss it a bit but I've been keeping up with the updates. I'm hearing a lot of people say AP is more of a novelty so I'm holding off until I'm more convinced I'll use it daily.

better hope you never have any problem at all with your car, and never ever have to take it to service, because that is the first thing tesla will do with just about any service is update the software.

Yep. The warranty even requires you to keep the software up to date:

Voided Warranty

You are responsible for the proper operation of the vehicle and for receiving and maintaining
detailed and accurate records of your vehicle’s maintenance, including the 17-digit Vehicle
Identification Number (“VIN”), servicing center name and address, mileage, date of service or
maintenance and description of service or maintenance items, which should be transferred to
each subsequent purchaser. You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow
the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle
provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to:

Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available;

Technically, i dont think you can upgrade from a Standard to a Standard Plus. All you would be doing is adding Autopilot to the Standard. The SR+ has slightly faster acceleration, an extra 20 miles of battery, better audio, and a few other software features. Correct me if im wrong, but here are the stats: Comparison between: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range RWD, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Mid Range RWD

This too: Looks like the Standard Range Plus Features are Being Removed via OTA Update from the Standard Range Model 3 | Tesla

Technically, i dont think you can upgrade from a Standard to a Standard Plus. All you would be doing is adding Autopilot to the Standard. The SR+ has slightly faster acceleration, an extra 20 miles of battery, better audio, and a few other software features. Correct me if im wrong, but here are the stats: Comparison between: 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range RWD, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus RWD, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Mid Range RWD

This too: Looks like the Standard Range Plus Features are Being Removed via OTA Update from the Standard Range Model 3 | Tesla

Not true. You can as the Standard is software locked a Standard Plus and Tesla have officially stated you can "purchase an upgrade anytime". The upgrade adds autopilot and everything else you mentioned (range, sound, acceleration) is unlocked via software when you purchase the upgrade.

Reactions: djroberts
SR+ As of August 1st does not include fog lights. I'd seek clarification if you want fog lights as part of your upgrade.

I'm guessing if you were delivered with fog lights prior to Aug 1 you keep them, but they are not included now.
I took delivery in late June in my SR. It had fog lights and immersive audio settings for a week then they were removed via an update. I never tested the lights but did confirm the audio difference.

I took delivery in late June in my SR. It had fog lights and immersive audio settings for a week then they were removed via an update. I never tested the lights but did confirm the audio difference.

i still have immersive audio setting but the small front speakers are not functional. I wish they'd have a special sale price on upgrades for end of Q/ year end?

I know they've dropped the price of "software" upgrades for S owners in the past. Maybe some S owners can chime in when in the year it happened?

Not true. You can as the Standard is software locked a Standard Plus and Tesla have officially stated you can "purchase an upgrade anytime". The upgrade adds autopilot and everything else you mentioned (range, sound, acceleration) is unlocked via software when you purchase the upgrade.

The AP upgrade in anytime on the tesla.com, but I haven't seen the others advertised yet.