Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model U Pickup Rendered by Truck Trend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like a lot! I do think you should add a slightly bigger opening to the front for cooling. We are so used to ev's not having an opening at the front because really the only type of vehicle we have made are sedans and a suv, things that don't need a lot of power so you don't need a lot of cooling. When we start getting into vehicle types like trucks and sports cars, types where we could need a lot of power for an extended period of time, I think we are going to see some slightly more open front ends although still not on the level as their ICE counterparts.

I'm sorry, but solar is total BS on any realistic car. The math never adds up.

Anyway, I like the looks of your concept, however I do think you went a little T happy there on the back. I suspect Tesla will be even more conservative with an eventual design.

You are wrong. The only math that needs to add up is if Tesla can make money on it.

Secondly, for my S, today, it would add up. I park in a remote location for canoe trips for days and to come back to the car with, for example, 40 miles of range, I'd pay for that.

How can you say the math does not add up, on any realistic car, when you don't know how everyone uses their car, where solar performance/price will be when the truck comes out, what the price of grid power will be, and on and on? You can't.

I'll bet that a Model S hood is more expensive than the same surface area of solar panel. You could probably get 250 watts on the hood, $1/watt, $250, plus some hardware.

A truck with a much larger bed cover, that could perhaps angle to the sun, and could fit 1000 watts, you're looking at a meaningful amount of energy.

tesla-pickup-trucj-render-via-topspeed-2-750x563.jpg

Solar on a car is... just not something really practical yet...

45 Watt Solar Panel Kit 10 Pc Kit

45 watts under super, super ideal conditions... yea, so if 120v x 12 amps = 1,440 watts = charging at 3 MPH (HVAC OFF)... 1440/45 = 32x slower = charging at ZERO.ZERO 9 MPH

or.... 0.09.

in... 11 hours, you'd add 1 mile. which, would never make up for the losses of the battery just sitting.

So... I'd hope we can all agree solar panels ON the car, can never actually MOVE the car. Least not in 2016 :) Maybe some day!

It may be possible to run the HVAC w/enough panels, but again, even a house window unit is easily 400 watts when running... not 45.

Reactions: Red Sage and bxr140
Solar on a car is... just not something really practical yet...

45 Watt Solar Panel Kit 10 Pc Kit

45 watts under super, super ideal conditions... yea, so if 120v x 12 amps = 1,440 watts = charging at 3 MPH (HVAC OFF)... 1440/45 = 32x slower = charging at ZERO.ZERO 9 MPH

or.... 0.09.

in... 11 hours, you'd add 1 mile. which, would never make up for the losses of the battery just sitting.

So... I'd hope we can all agree solar panels ON the car, can never actually MOVE the car. Least not in 2016 :) Maybe some day!

It may be possible to run the HVAC w/enough panels, but again, even a house window unit is easily 400 watts when running... not 45.

Seems like it could be enough power to run accessories, though. You know, tie it into the 12v supply, and you can charge a phone, or power other small appliances while using entirely RE. It may not be as practical as many would hope...but running appliances off of solar power has it's own appeal.

Reactions: Model 3
Hi Guys,

So I guess I should come clean. I'm actually a staff editor on Truck Trend magazine. I've been on the TMC forums for more than a year, and am a big Tesla fan. I pitched the idea of doing a story on a Tesla pickup concept to my boss, and he was receptive. What you see is the result of more than three months of artistic collaboration and creative imagination. I hope you like it, and obviously, feel free to share it with as many of your friends, virtual or real, as possible....

Model U - The Tesla Pickup Truck

I like it...reminds me of a lifted Holden Commodore UTE

holden_commodore_ute_ssv_redline_germany_2015.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Red Sage
Seems like it could be enough power to run accessories, though. You know, tie it into the 12v supply, and you can charge a phone, or power other small appliances while using entirely RE. It may not be as practical as many would hope...but running appliances off of solar power has it's own appeal.

I believe the Fiskar Karma ran a fan on solar panels... $1,000 option...?

$1,000 could buy 9,090 kWh where I live.... or enough to drive (EPA) 30,300 miles. So...

The size of a car, with today's panels, just really doesn't seem feasible...

Although! I just had an idea! A marina with solar roofs! Keep your boat covered, while generating power.
I'm going to talk to the owner next time I see her! See if solar city can install solar over top of boats! Cover + power!

Reactions: Red Sage
No, I'm not going to click through to the completely speculative article, which of course is the entire reason you started this thread, to drive traffic to your website.
I understand the sentiment, as I very rarely follow links to articles anymore. It is the best way to avoid being ushered off to [SINKING ANCHOR], or worse. The first link I saw elsewhere was to a version of the article at MSN, which was a pain to read because they broke it up into five pages or so all filled with advertising. But I was able to find the link to the complete article on the TRUCK TREND website and that was much better to view.

Yes, some of the design choices they make are completely different from what I would do, just as their assumptions about what would drive the market are different from mine. But, they do a good job of presenting their case and I believe it is worth a read -- even if you end up disagreeing with a lot of it (as I do). Also, they followed up with a Facebook video of about 30 minutes long where they express their decisions in a passionate fashion. I do not believe they intend to demean or disparage the notion of a fully electric pickup truck at all. I believe they made an honest attempt to show a Tesla Pickup Truck in the best possible light.

We considered going the HD route with the concept, but decided the heart of the pickup market, at least sales-wise, was half-tons. So this is more along the lines of a Silverado 1500 or F-150. It's kind of hard to judge the scale. A lot of people that have looked at the renderings say they think it's a midsize. I too have a Model 3 on order. In fact, just got my "thank you" card from Elon in the mail. :) Anyone else gotten theirs?
Well, in your own video on the subject of size you guys said it was 'somewhere between' a Colorado and Silverado. The rendering does look rather small, even for a crew cab. I suspect it may be due to the near complete absence of a B-Pillar, and no head space behind the second row -- that 'missing' four-to-six inches matters. So, it seems to be just a tad shy of being a full-sized cabin, and the proportions of the bed seem to be on the 6-1/2' sizing rather than 8' length.

I've noted before that I disagree with your assessment of market target. For Tesla Motors, entering the pickup truck market should not initially aim for the most affordable portion of the market. They should make an impression on those who are already willing to spend a substantial sum on an ICE truck, and beat those guys at their own game. By proving themselves at the high end, they can make a smoother transition to more affordable offerings. There is a Platinum F-Series truck from Ford that has a base price over $77,000.

I sincerely doubt that even with decreasing internal costs on batteries Tesla Motors will ever offer a vehicle for substantially less than $25,000. I think that even when the numbers look right, and they could conceivably do so in a profitable manner, it won't be necessary. Because by then, new vehicles that are currently in the $17,500 to $22,500 range will likely all cost over $25,000 as a base price. Also 'cheap' vehicles don't actually sell that well anyway. Most manufacturers are abandoning the sub-$15,000 price point, and it won't be long before no new cars are available for less than $20,000 either. People tend to buy vehicles that are 'NEW to them' at $15,000 or less by picking up cars and trucks from the used market.

I know why you guys did it, but really...? The in-wheel motors are not gonna work. If it was feasible, Ford would have bought a big chunk of Protean Electric and used their technology to improve the F-Series in addition to using aluminum for the bodies. Tesla Motors' current designs are vastly superior to anything those guys offer. Maybe you could ask Porsche to resurrect the notion for Mission-E?
lohner-porsche_semper_vivus_1900_04.jpg

1900 Lohner-Porsche with electric hub motors.

Hi Guys,

So I guess I should come clean. I'm actually a staff editor on Truck Trend magazine. I've been on the TMC forums for more than a year, and am a big Tesla fan. I pitched the idea of doing a story on a Tesla pickup concept to my boss, and he was receptive. What you see is the result of more than three months of artistic collaboration and creative imagination. I hope you like it, and obviously, feel free to share it with as many of your friends, virtual or real, as possible....

Model U - The Tesla Pickup Truck
Over all I like the concept and I would love to park one of these next to the Model S that I have now.

Forget the solar on the roof of the vehicle. PV should be at the parking space, not on the vehicle.

Make sure it has 4 conventional doors like my Model S. Every Model X owner that I have talked to has had trouble with the FWD on the X. No need to repeat that mistake.