TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla model x 20 inch wheels but what tires

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by F_vo, Jul 8, 2017.

1. F_vo

F_vo Member

hey guys,

Have the 20 inch wheels with 275/45/20 and 265/45/20 in front.

Would like a softer ride, so is it possible to put in front 245/50/20 in front and 255/50/20 in the rear?

i would get a softer ride but maybe the wheels do not look so nice going from 275 to 255 in the back.

Not only would this five a softer ride, but also (probably) more range.

on the dutch forum a lot of guys find that changing to 19 inch wheels is not so good looking.

I did not get an answer concerning the 255/50/20 and 245/50/20 tires.

Anyone with experience here?

Thanks alot

François

2. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

No personal experience but the math says it comes down to how sensitive you are. 5mm taller sidewall is unlikely to be noticeable. ~1lb lighter tire might be (assuming you stay with OEM tires) if you're extremely attuned to how the car rides and handles.

If you put in the time to find a much lighter tire (and/or also get a lighter set of wheels) you would definitely feel a difference but that's quite a bit more effort. If you can get 3-5lb lighter per wheel/tire assembly, that's generally when people can tell there's an improvement in ride quality on any car and you'd see a slight improvement in range on a tesla.

Easiest thing to have a softer ride would be to reduce air pressure in the tires but that will cause range to decrease.

3. F_vo

F_vo Member

thanks Ninefiveone,

but it is not easy to find wheels that fit for the car and are extremely light. Carbon wheels are way to expensive.

François

4. Macgaver

Macgaver Member

There is a few tire options in the model-x owner manual.

Other source to see what size can fit: Tesla — Model X > Wheels and Tires

PS: if you go custom, make sure the load certification is high enough for the tires, and wheels

5. F_vo

F_vo Member

Will do Macgaver, and thanks

F

6. MarkDFW

MarkDFW Member

@F_vo what did you end up going with? I’ve got to replace my 20” contisilents soon but am looking for a longer lasting tire or something less expensive. Any results from your purchase this past summer you can share?

7. mikegre

mikegre Member

How miles on your tires? I just changed my rear Michelins with 9,600 miles on them.

8. MarkDFW

MarkDFW Member

I’m at 11,500. I have 6mm left on all tires except one where it is at 5mm. I’m due in another 2k to 3k miles I’m guessing.