Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model x 20 inch wheels but what tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys,

Have the 20 inch wheels with 275/45/20 and 265/45/20 in front.

Would like a softer ride, so is it possible to put in front 245/50/20 in front and 255/50/20 in the rear?

i would get a softer ride but maybe the wheels do not look so nice going from 275 to 255 in the back.

Not only would this five a softer ride, but also (probably) more range.

on the dutch forum a lot of guys find that changing to 19 inch wheels is not so good looking.

I did not get an answer concerning the 255/50/20 and 245/50/20 tires.

Anyone with experience here?

Thanks alot

François

No personal experience but the math says it comes down to how sensitive you are. 5mm taller sidewall is unlikely to be noticeable. ~1lb lighter tire might be (assuming you stay with OEM tires) if you're extremely attuned to how the car rides and handles.

If you put in the time to find a much lighter tire (and/or also get a lighter set of wheels) you would definitely feel a difference but that's quite a bit more effort. If you can get 3-5lb lighter per wheel/tire assembly, that's generally when people can tell there's an improvement in ride quality on any car and you'd see a slight improvement in range on a tesla.

Easiest thing to have a softer ride would be to reduce air pressure in the tires but that will cause range to decrease.

I have 18.4K on my rear 20" tires and at the Tesla dealership this week, they thought they were okay for another 2K. Front tires were in better shape so probably good for another 4K. I am in Delaware for the next 2 weeks so may get the rear ones given DE is tax free and I can pick up the tires 10 miles from here at Tire Rack, so no shipping charge. Model X P100D

I've just fitted the Tesla winter wheel/tyre package, with Pirelli Scorpions on 19" wheels. Ride is definitely more comfortable but the most noticeable difference is the reduction in road noise. Handling appears to be unaffected.